BlitzBuild 2016 Entry Part Deux

SleeperService

My entry for the first BlitzBuild in 2016 started well then Messers Humbrol got involved and it all went badly wrong. Full tale HERE.

As part of this year's BlitzBuild I removed the still tacky paint and gave the kit a good clean.

Now I am going to finish it! No, really I am.

tumblr_p0r0a7RYFy1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

Storage and the poor paint have not been kind to this poor Lightning but Uncle Nick will make it all better. First job will be to put in Albion Alloy tail plane supports as both kit ones have broken off :(      Then I'll need to give the paint (apparently that's what it is according to the tinlet) a good going over to flatten it down.

As it's pretty grim outside that'll keep me occupied this Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Over the Festive period I have been giving this poor beast a good fettling.

tumblr_p1o40zWuBw1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

The main paint job is now looking quite presentable and I've since painted the top of the ventral fins that I missed here. Oops! I'm now faced with applying dozens of tiny stencils and the main markings. I may be sometime.....

• Like 3

Greetings and Welcome to the year of the Flying Porcupine!

16 months after starting a 24 hour build it's finally painted, decalled and all shiny in gloss varnish....

tumblr_p1vdh8rCdL1t8blhlo3_1280.jpg

I made an executive decision to carry on in the BlitzBuild spirit and not correct any flaws apart from the paint. The Airfix decals are fantastic and even readable in most stencils :gobsmacked:I think I've just broken the 24 hour build time limit as the decals took forever to do. However it's all downhill to the sunlit meadows of success.

• Like 3

I know you didn't believe my comment in post #1 but she IS finished!! :yahoo:A sixteen month BlitzBuild involving 33 hours and that includes replacing several parts that had been lost including Herman the German pilot. Who didn't get replaced...that'd take me to KUTA XV at least :D

So here we have Luftwaffe Lightning F.24 26+05 of JG.31 'Boelcke' as she was after her emergency diversion to Bentwaters having encountered a flock of geese while climbing to altitude. She was on her way back to her Magdeburg–Cochstedt base after making the final Luftwaffe Lightning appearence at the Mildenhall Airshow May 1985, as the oldest and highest hour airframe she had been specifically requested by the organisers.

Note the full operational fit; live missiles, covered lights and loaded guns. Naturally not while on display :) Subject to continuous improvement after being introduced following the Starfighter scandal the Lightning was still more than adequate and a highly sought after posting.

tumblr_p28l9lC9A61t8blhlo5_1280.jpg

She's not perfect but I wanted to finish her in the BlitzBuild spirit I'd done most of the work in. Decals are from HaHen and, despite being slightly out of register were excellent to work with. The stencilling was Airfix and is superb. AIM-9D from Eduard.

TOP TIP: Leave off the pitot and missile rails until the very end. They are extraordinarily fragile!

Thank you for looking more piccies in the Gallery. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nimrod54 said:

That's a fantastic recovery job and I see that in gallery photos #3 and #4 that you even found time to turn the house on its side. :fool:

Thank You Kind sir!

My attempt to rotate the house failed :( the piccies came out very, very tiny. Technical assistant and his girlfriend popping round after school tomorrow to advise. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Thank You Kind sir!

My attempt to rotate the house failed :( the piccies came out very, very tiny. Technical assistant and his girlfriend popping round after school tomorrow to advise. 

Your photos are fine, its just my very quirky sense of humour. :D

14 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

That's a fantastic recovery job and I see that in gallery photos #3 and #4 that you even found time to turn the house on its side. :fool:

5 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Your photos are fine, its just my very quirky sense of humour. :D

It annoyed me too. Took the pair of them about two minutes to work out what was up and fix it. Including being the subject of the look of incompetence only a teenage girl can give. Apparently I should have rotated the picture before unloading it. Whoops!

• Haha 1