Ye Olde Revell 1/32 F4F Wildcat

Plasto

Hi,

For the past week I've been building the Vintage Revell 1/32 Wildcat.  Its been going together ok with really great fit. well great fit in a 60's kind of way not Tamiya 2017 fit...

I'm not sure why I'm building it other than I fancied a Wildcat after getting a 3 kill streak with one on War Thunder the Airfix one in 72 seemed a bit small and I don't have a 48th one but I did have the Revell kit which came from a show for a few dollars with some super scale decals..

I have been sorting the seams out on the fuselage at the same time as retaining the raised detail as much as possible. But some loss is inevitable.  I wondered if i should re-scribe it but TBH the Wildcat was quite 'knobbly' and the revell surface detail is quite nice for it's era.. So I had a 'Paul Budzik' moment and added the panels back in on the spine and belly using Self adhesive aluminium tape...  This I hoped would give a panel line and allow for some rivet detail later with rosie the rivetter...

Here is a progress shot

2017-12-10 22-06-39 (C) (1)

I chopped the replacement panels on a horizontal rivet line. This lessens the mixed and matched look a bit... Hopefully it'll all sort its self out under a coat of primer...

Let me know what you think and if I'm wasting my time...

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 6

Thanks all,

They go together ok if you trim off all of the internal structure and just concentrate on the mating surfaces a bit of care is needed but nothing overly stressful. The fit is actually really good overall the wing root is really tight cowl parts ok and the tail planes are also fine.

Mines the ‘Smithsonian’ boxing which is from the late 80’s I think so the mould was a good few years old at that point I think the kit dates from the late 60’s

Its never going to win any awards but it’s a nice build and a reminder of simpler times...

Plasto

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 2

More Work On this old Bird...

2017-12-15 23-24-40 (C) (1)

Uppers in Tamiya Mid blue lightened with a few drops of white... Undersides in Gunze LAG.. Looks about right for a 'Midway' era USN scheme.... I freehanded the demarcation line. All Paints thinned with Self levelling lacquer thinners...

Thanks for looking...

Plasto

Gosh that brings back memories, I used to love building those old Revell 1/32 scale kits they were very advanced for their time and they still hold up well nowadays, maybe not Tamiya but they certainly are value for money it you look at the hours of fun per £. Yours is looking very good, I like the idea of the tape on the spine, it looks great.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for the comments guys,

I agree the old Revell 1/32 aircraft are fun to build... 

I masked and painted the wing walkways first in chromate yellow, then black and I scoured through the black with some superfine steel wool. Taking it off of the heads of the exposed rivets to simulate wear and tear on the walkways. I then added a gloss coat to the model with Gunze Super Clear III UV which was thinned with Levelling thinners. This delivered a very glossy finish which I then used to apply the few Decals.

My kit came with an old Super Scale Sheet and I used these decals.  There is a picture of this aircraft in The Squadron Wildcat in action book. VF-41 on USS Ranger. USS Ranger was deemed too slow to take part in the Pacific Battles so She served in the Atlantic fleet.

8c2b176f-b34d-4c1a-97d6-1cf0ad2aed1a.jpg

The Decals went on flawlessly with Mr Mark Setter and have settled down over the raised detail beautifully.

resized_cb7325fa-efa0-4f9c-a6ca-10a3962e

I now need to clean off the decal residue and then add another gloss coat to seal them in.

Cheers

Plasto

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 5