Help from the Coastal Craft aficionados needed.

Courageous

Hi All,

I've recently taken possession of an old 1/72 Airfix MTB and have Vol 1 of Coastal Craft that impressed with the MTB variations. The cunning plan I have is to build numerous MTB's (and others) but I'm wondering what the best/ easiest/ cheapest way of doing it would be. Now, I've always loved the MTB  but I'm no an MTB builder and know very little about them. 

So, I must ask, how accurate is the Airfix MTB hull? Is it accurate enough to make internal templates of the hull and stretch the frame templates for different beams and alter frame spacing for different lengths? Or should I buy plans and work from them?

TIA

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Yes, the hull is fairly accurate if you read John Lambert's works. But this is the later hull. The Revell hull is good for the earlier boats, but the topside is not correct - wrong guns and side sponsons.

The Airfix RAF boat hull is good for some of the MGB's. The older Airfix magazine and various Model Boats articles from the 70/80's give the details of how to do the conversions.

I have some of them in hard copy and a few may be available as pdf. Email me via DM and I will see what I can find for you.

Tim H

South Africa

• Like 1

Your first purchase if you're serious should be

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22659154870&searchurl=kn%3Dallied%2Bcoastal%2Bforces%2Bof%2Bwwii%2Bjohn%2Blambert%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1

This is cheap, more often goes for £70-100

If not borrow it from the library and book time on an A3 copier. This book really is the bible and contains plans / details of all the Vospers. The plans are of a size that can be enlarged for good 1/72 and usable 1/35 working plans.

The choice of kits is limited

Airfix 73' Type 1 Only produced in small numbers towards the end of the war. Hull not suitable for 72' 6" !

6" doesn't sound a lot but the length was measured over the cavitation plates not present on the Type 1. Quality - its a forty year old kit. ......

Revell Vosper is of a type built for lend lease to Russia. The armament is wrong, the hull I believe there are issues with but the big difference is that Vospers  license built in the US had no portholes/scuttles. Again 30+ years old, you get what you pay for.

Both kits can be made into good replicas but you looking at time and money plus scratch building.

If you are serious about accurate representations I would suggest the above volume

A massive range of hulls can be sourced from http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/the-hulls

Christian is an approachable helpful gent and the quality of his hull is second to none. He used to do discount it you buy two or more and of course you save on postage

4 hours ago, Hardcastle said:

The Airfix RAF boat hull is good for some of the MGB's

63' boats as done by Dave Gove . Recently done here by @robgizlu

If you not done much/any scratch building I would suggest this as a starting point. Inexpensive. Relatively simple. You've got a step by step guide above and I'm sure Rob and or Dave would be happy to answer your questions

Fittings can be sourced from

http://coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/

You can of course buy complete resin kits from the above but I think I'm right in saying not for beginers

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=18198&cat=0&bestseller=Y

http://atlanticmodels.net/white ensign range kits/1-72 scale accessories.html

HTH

Kev

• Like 1

Hi Stuart - Endorse everything Kev has said.  

Christian at MTB hulls is extremely helpful and his whole concern deserves to be better known.  I've taken 2 hulls from him (Fairmile B and HDML) and IMHO - they are worth worth every penny.

As Tim H said - the old Airfix mag conversions for the RAF BPBCo rescue launch are an accesible way into conversions and the kit itself is far better than one might expect from it's vintage.  Airfix have once again stopped producing and I'd grab some hulls whilst you can if you are interested.

Kev has mentioned the widely known 1/72 armament and "bits" producers, but don't forget Shapeways where you can find all sorts of 1/72 marine exotica allbeit at some cost, Mark Hawkins hawkins751511 has produced some bits for me and I'm sure would be willing to help if you have specific needs.

FWIW the John Lambert tome that Kev namechecks has a sister volume  dealing with Fairmiles and HDMLs that is equally enticing.  If you like MTBs - check out HDMLs at your peril!!!

HTH

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
spelling!
  • Like 1

Talking of John Lambert (a fine gentleman who I met and talked with several times) does anyone knows what happened to his plans series (ships and guns) ?

Likewise, I know he did a certain amount of work on Volume 3 of the Coastal Forces series, but that it stalled - does anyone know of the fate of that ?

Thanks (and nice to remember him).

54 minutes ago, Phil Gollin said:

Likewise, I know he did a certain amount of work on Volume 3 of the Coastal Forces series, but that it stalled - does anyone know of the fate of that ?

As Al Ross (John's co-author) has recently said on PT Boat forum that he is going to do a stand alone book on the Higgins PT boats which was going to be his part of the Volume 3, I assume it has no prospect of ever seeing the light.

• Thanks 1

@longshanks, thanks for stopping by Kev, new it wouldn't be too long before you made an appearance.

John Lambert's tome you suggested had already been ordered and I' awaiting its arrival. Thanks for all the info, all great stuff. I have done some scratch-building and conversion work but mainly aircraft but I don't mind doing what is necessary. If my skills can produce good results then that's good but the other stuff like armament might be a little beyond me initially. MTBHulls looks quite promising. Might track down and RAF hull to cut my teeth on. I spent a lot of time at 'coastalcrafts' stand at the nationals, very impressive stuff.

Thanks to every one for their contributions. I've also ordered the Coastal Forces that contain the Fairmiles! What have I got into!?:frantic:

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phil Gollin said:

Talking of John Lambert (a fine gentleman who I met and talked with several times) does anyone knows what happened to his plans series (ships and guns) ?

Thanks (and nice to remember him).

I remember reading that his family apparently disposed of his writings and material having no wish to pursue his activity.  Sad beyond end if that is the case.

Rob

• Sad 2

You're welcome Stuart

7 hours ago, Hardcastle said:

The older Airfix magazine and various Model Boats articles from the 70/80's give the details of how to do the conversions.

I meant to say 'd be interested in any info along these lines :nodding:

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

the John Lambert tome that Kev namechecks has a sister volume  dealing with Fairmiles and HDMLs that is equally enticing.  If you like MTBs - check out HDMLs at your peril!!!

7 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I've also ordered the Coastal Forces that contain the Fairmiles! What have I got into!?:frantic:

Nice one @robgizlu another sucked into Coastal Forces. Carries on at this rate we might get our own section .....

left out for collection/recycling :shrug:

14 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Might track down and RAF hull to cut my teeth on

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/192386081915?chn=ps&adgroupid=47759957419&rlsatarget=pla-379105347340&abcId=1128946&adtype=pla&merchantid=101460631&poi=&googleloc=9045280&device=c&campaignid=856243141&crdt=0

:whistle:

Kev

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

Very clever Kev. This listing is a new boxing, is it new tooling as their is an older also listed?

Stuart - check my blog out for how to handle the Deck (toe rails)

MGB 40

That's one let down on the kit - the other is the wretched scramble nets moulded on, otherwise it's a good build

Here's one and this was the first boat I did, I cringe now seeing the filled in toe rails!!

03af8abb-6a3e-4048-a994-cd716cef403e.jpg

The other big downside with the kit is that in nearly ALL the RAF launches  the glass turrets were metal cages NOT filled in as per Airfix (I've seen one single pic where they appear to be solid so if you go with them you are not absolutely wrong).  However there are 2 options to model the turret  cage  - one is construct from wire which I have seen done well and if you search the net you'll find - (devilishly difficult) OR drill out the spaces between and arrive at a Faux metal frame by filing down - I've done one and it's easier than it sounds (Like these aren't the ravings of a madman:rofl:)

Be sure to Blog it - I'm looking forward - I'll be doing "122" sooner or later.

Best Regards

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
Add pic
  • Like 7

@robgizlu, thanks for the tips and your link to your MGB40 build, very useful.:yes:

Like you, I may very well go for a simple build first and do an early version without the aft gun, then a later one before pushing into the MGBs. But all things, we get diverted and may well have to do a Type I and Type III.:giggle:

Recently I spent some time searching images of the BPB Type II and their turret cage/ glazing and I'm sure their was more than one image but I'm not 100% if google is showing me the right type? Until my Coastal Craft book of BPBs arrive, is the boats serial unique, if so, can you tell what type of boat it is from the serial?:hmmm:

Stuart

Hi, sorry to butt in on this thread but I'm another one who has caught the Coastal Forces bug! Now got 4 Airfix MTB's and have started to look at building them. Looks like I'll need some  Airfix Air Sea Rescue kits as well.

Are there any tips on the best way to assemble the hull.....had a couple of initial go's but I don't have enough hands to hold it all and glue!!

Many thaks for any advice.

P

1 hour ago, PDH said:

I'm another one who has caught the Coastal Forces bug!

More the merrier, Coastal Forces are going to take over :penguin:

1 hour ago, PDH said:

Are there any tips on the best way to assemble the hull.....had a couple of initial go's but I don't have enough hands to hold it all and glue!!

This may help both now and in the future :nodding:  If you need help ask, someone will know the answer

Looking forward to seeing your work in Progress

Kev

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, longshanks said:

This may help both now and in the future :nodding:  If you need help ask, someone will know the answer

Kev

Many thanks Kev. That's a start.

Can you recall the construction sequence - Hull sides first, transom to hull side first......its a bit of a b*****r! No WIP until I sort the hull.

I see Coastal Craft have produced an updated kit for the Airfix MTB at £35. Need to go through what it contains to see if its work purchasing.

P

16 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Kev

Must be something in the water around here all these coastal forces builds Happy Days.  :thumbsup:

beefy 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

@robgizlu, thanks for the tips and your link to your MGB40 build, very useful.:yes:

Like you, I may very well go for a simple build first and do an early version without the aft gun, then a later one before pushing into the MGBs. But all things, we get diverted and may well have to do a Type I and Type III.:giggle:

Recently I spent some time searching images of the BPB Type II and their turret cage/ glazing and I'm sure their was more than one image but I'm not 100% if google is showing me the right type? Until my Coastal Craft book of BPBs arrive, is the boats serial unique, if so, can you tell what type of boat it is from the serial?:hmmm:

Stuart

Hi Stuart

The RAF Type 2 "Whaleback" 63ft launches do not figure in the Coastal Craft book (mores the pity!)  There were several types though these wee the classic Air Sea rescue boats in the British Channel in wartime years.

Check out British Military Powerboat team for an overview.  My understanding is that these boats had unique numbering of 3 digits.  Later RAF ASR launches seem to have used 4 digits

As to the general question relating to other British Power Boat Company boats then the answer is generally yes and Coastal Craft volume 2 takes you through them.

As to the turret Glazing/cages - here are some pics illustrating the metal rail version and amazingly the one pic I've ever found of the "filled in" version that Airfix depict (I had assumed that this was a concession to moulding limitations on Airfix's part in the mid 70s - but apparently not!!!)

9ba3ef84-3557-44b0-9779-fcddd7205607.jpg

dd10d932-e228-4096-a9cb-9de8c13266ce.jpg

0f8c47e9-f84c-48dc-a438-17b2357f1b16.jpg

And here's a pic of the real thing that you can see at the RAF museum in Hendon

30e86f3a-c1b7-460c-9f6c-6357d33c9da2.jpg

HTH

Rob

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PDH said:

Many thanks Kev. That's a start.

Can you recall the construction sequence - Hull sides first, transom to hull side first......its a bit of a b*****r! No WIP until I sort the hull.

I see Coastal Craft have produced an updated kit for the Airfix MTB at £35. Need to go through what it contains to see if its work purchasing.

P

Hi P

It's so long ago I can't remember doing the hull but here's a link to the Blog from back then on what was Plastic Armour.  I may have used blue tack to hold the bits in place and then run Tamiya extra thin cement along the joins???

https://www.plasticpanzers.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=113

Do you mind me asking where you saw the Coastal Crafts kit for the Airfix MTB ??  (I'm intrigued but can't find it - their site is not often updated)

Rob

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

First saw the Coastal Crafts Airfix MTB update set at Telford. They pointed it out to me and described it as an update set for the Airfix MTB. I got a copy of their latest catalogue from them whilst I was there, it's in the catalogue. They call it a transkit. The catalogue lists the contents of this kit, I'll scan the catalogue page tomorrow and post it here so you can see what it's about.

P

• Like 2