Help from the Coastal Craft aficionados needed.

Courageous

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Thanks P - That is interesting.  Did they have anything else new?

Rob

As far as I could tell not a lot unless there were some new accessory sets. I'll go through the catalogue when I scan to double check. They have bought out some upgrades/accessories for the Avro Lancaster kits, 1/72 I think. They were promoting these heavily at the show.

P

9 hours ago, PDH said:

Can you recall the construction sequence - Hull sides first, transom to hull side first......its a bit of a b*****r!

As far as I can recall ...... twas along time ago Zzzzzzz!!

Glue and tape transom to bottom, whilst movable glue port/stbd to transom and first each of bottom. Hold in place tape.

let this get a good hold and slowly start working forward, gluing/taping as you go. Make sure you keep the side to the outside of the channels. I think I left the last couple of inches until it had had time to set overnight. You've then got a firm base to manipulate / adjust where the bow comes together.

I kept the deck loose until well into the build.

HTH

Kev

• Like 1

9 hours ago, longshanks said:

As far as I can recall ...... twas along time ago Zzzzzzz!!

Glue and tape transom to bottom, whilst movable glue port/stbd to transom and first each of bottom. Hold in place tape.

let this get a good hold and slowly start working forward, gluing/taping as you go. Make sure you keep the side to the outside of the channels. I think I left the last couple of inches until it had had time to set overnight. You've then got a firm base to manipulate / adjust where the bow comes together.

I kept the deck loose until well into the build.

HTH

Kev

Thanks Kev. Now need to find the time and experiment! At least I have some spares if it goes wrong!!

P

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Thanks P - That is interesting.  Did they have anything else new?

Rob

Ok, Just compared the 2016 and 2017 catalogues.

New in the 2017 edition are

Kit CC72013 Fairmile B ML231 Price £TBA

Accessories CCA72052 S.O Radar and Mast  £8-50

CCA72053 Denton Floats x 3 £3-99

CCA72054 Small Oval Floats (British) x 2 £3-99

CCA72055 Medium Oval Float (British) x 1 £2-99

CCA72056 Large US-type life raft x 1 £4-50

See photo for photos of each item

Transkit CCTK72001 £35-00  See photo for details

Decal Sheets CCD72011 to CCD72025 See photo for details

3uwZ1K.png

n6dhnR.png

Hope this is of interest.

P

Edited by PDH
  • Like 1

• Courageous changed the title to Help from the Coastal Craft aficionados needed.

Thought I'd carry out a title change as the topic drifted to Coastal Craft which was fine by me.

Thanks for the catalogue info, very useful.

Does anybody have any close-up images of the non-glazed MG turrets as I'd like to know how much framing was removed?

Stuart

5 hours ago, PDH said:

Hope this is of interest

Very much so, thanks for going to the effort.

:hmmm: The Transkit looks useful.....

5 hours ago, PDH said:

Kit CC72013 Fairmile B ML231 Price £TBA

Look the other way Rob :wink:

If I'm reading the code right it appear we have hull numbers for the 1/144 Corvette :penguin:

51 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Thought I'd carry out a title change as the topic drifted to Coastal Craft which was fine by me.

Turning into a useful little blog Stuart

Kev

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Thanks for the catalogue info, very useful.

Does anybody have any close-up images of the non-glazed MG turrets as I'd like to know how much framing was removed?

Stuart

Sorry for 'hijacking' your thread Stuart, it wasn't intended. Happy to put up the rest of the 2017 catalogue if its of interest.  

21 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Very much so, thanks for going to the effort.

:hmmm: The Transkit looks useful.....

If I'm reading the code right it appear we have hull numbers for the 1/144 Corvette :penguin:

Kev

Hadn't spotted those, another item to put on the shopping list!

P

54 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Indeed it is. I'm quite surprised that we don't have a 'pinned' topic of Coastal Craft. Where's Admin?!:idea:

32 minutes ago, PDH said:

Sorry for 'hijacking' your thread Stuart, it wasn't intended.

No problem P, useful stuff.

Stuart

Hi P - thanks for posting the Coastal craft catalogue.  Intriguing!!  Delighted about the Corvette DecalsB)

Mark Hawkins made some oval rafts up for me on Shapeways so that's OK, and I see now what the Vosper update set is like - well worth getting IMHO.

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

Kev

Well it had to happen - didn't it:rofl:

Rob

I built the RAF rescue kit a few years back and spent a few hours re-doing the turret rails and the toe rails - fiddly but I reckon it was worth it... I even tried making scale nets. Won't do that again any time soon! Please excuse the shoddy photo (0600 and I haven't had any coffee) and the model needs cleaning. I want to put it into a dio with my 70ft Vosper...eventually.  I would point out the scratchbuilding an Mtb Hull isn't too horrific, whether you carve from solid, which I'v done for a couple of sailing vessels or, as I did on my Vosper, build up with plastic card, easier, I think. Careful though, as has been said already, Coastal Craft are addictive, I've done 5 and just wish Italeri would turn out their stunners in 1/72nd scale.... Welcome to the asylum!

RRC

• Like 5

The rails were fabricated from soldered Brass, or maybe copper wire. I  have pics of the entire build, over on photobooket. Here's a link to the page. http://s1021.photobucket.com/user/seagull47/library/ASRL?sort=3&page=1

There's a few pics of the alterations to the turrets underway. PS, the aerials were, um, interesting to fabricate.

1 hour ago, seadog said:

I  have pics of the entire build, over on photobooket

Hope you don't mind of copied them for future reference, lovely build

Kev

PS

If anyone wants to know what the collective is for a swarm of Ads / stop script or recover webpage it's called a &*^%$£"! photobucket.

Why I posted the link! ;)  Photobucket is a PITA, but the original shots have long since vanished  from my computer, so at least they can be got at!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hardcastle said:

Hi @seadog

How do you do the little rings on the aerials - I never got that to work on my poor attempt??? Tried finding suitable rings, but no luck

Tim

Tim, As Seadog wryly says .....with some difficulty

Personally I wound some wire around a round object and then cut the wire with a circle and formed "rings"

I then stretched some "EZ" elastic thread between 2 posts (I made a little jig from Plastikard).  I glued an extra 2 lengths of line so that there were "3" lengths from a point to another point and then carefully inserted the rings with the lines under a degree of tension between the 2 posts (This is where you NEED EZ line as it's elastic) and used superglue to anchor them down.  Tedious and tiresome but ultimately effective for such a prominent feature on these boats.

HTH

Rob

• Like 2

Rob's got it in one. drill shanks are good for winding, I used thin coper wire, and silver soldered them (silver solder is great stuff and allows really neat, unbreakable joins) The line I used was some stuff called uni-thread, fly tying stuff. I've never gotten around to using ezi-line...probably make my life much easier.  anyway...good luck!

IMG_7125_zps91a33362IMG_7126_zps0ba43281asrl_5

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

OMG, that looks beyond tricky I think I'll leave my one of these in stock a while longer. Did any have a simpler arrangement? :unsure:

Steve.

Possibly, but not as far as I've seen. By the way if you go to Cornwall Model Boats and have a look here - http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000029.pl?page=search&PR=-1&TB=A&SS=brass+rings&ACTION=quick+search

They stock brass rings in a number of sizes.

• Like 1