Trumpeter 1/16 Panzer IV Ausf. "G" ( Trumpeter's F2)

BlackMax12

Thanks Francis

Yes they sag quite a bit, almost look like they are too loose.  I tried taking one link out but then they are too

tight to join so they stay as is.

Thanks Soeren

Go get one, this would be a good mate for your Tiger I and you can detail the heck out of it, as it's really pretty basic as is.

Thanks Stix

Glad I got those things assembled and they do look pretty decent.  I'm getting into the interior now and got the engine and 

the auxiliary generator assembled but not much else.  Probably have to think about some paint before going much further

but enthusiasm and motivation are sort of lacking today.

Take care all,

Lloyd

Hi Mark

Yes I've moved the idlers as far back as they will go, they have a limit stop bar so they only go so far.  I tried moving them ahead a bit and taking out one link

and the track/wheel combination doesn't look right.  Then if you move them the other way the tracks rub against the bottom of the fenders and that looks goofy.

So when I get them all painted up I'll position the sags so they are even over top of the 4 roller wheels and glue them so they stay and look decent.

With my Panzer IV Type H I flipped the idlers over and the tracks are too close to the bottom of the fenders but with the side skirts on you can't tell.  This

one doesn't have any side skirts/schurzen so the track sag is rather obvious, and probably prototypical actually, not that I really like it.

On my KT I cut the locating tabs off inside the holes where the rear axles fit so I could move the idler wheels where I wanted to adjust the track tension.  That worked fine

and the tracks look great.  This kit isn't so easy, the idlers are like they are mounted on a cam, go counter-clockwise to the stop and they are low, go clockwise to the stop and they are

so high the tracks rub under the fenders.  So I settled for low as it looks best.

How's the KT coming?  I see on The Modeling News website that Rye Field is releasing a Panther G in 1/35 with a complete interior.  This will probably be better than

either the Takom or Meng new Panther efforts as their King Tigers with interiors weren't that great, especially the Takom.  I'm still waiting on the Trumpeter 1/16

Panther but looks like the New Year now.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

Well thanks Julian

It is progressing, not as fast as I'd like but still going.  Played around with those idler wheels again and decided to

put them in the higher position even though there's not much clearance between the tracks and fenders. It just looks better

than having the track slant down before it hits the idlers.

Didn't accomplish much yesterday, some add-ons for the exterior, the two part glacis plates and the air inlet grilles on the rear sides.

May have to give this a rest as a friend wants a Mirror Models 1/35 Diamond T tow truck built.  I checked it out on the web and it

looks pretty involved.  He is bringing the kit Saturday so I can look it over and he wants it modelled like the unit his grandpa

drove during WWII.  I might be able to do it but if I flub it up then what?  So I'm sort of stuck, yes/no, yes/no????

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Hi Chris

You can't really leave any interior visible other than leaving the hatches over the brake drums on the glacis, the driver's and radio ops hatches open, the 2 big hatches over the engine on the rear deck,

and the side doors and hatch open on the turret.

I got around that on my 1/16 Pkw IV Type H by making the upper superstructure removable and of course the turret comes off. You can see the entire interior then but I have to open it for viewing. I'm not

ever going to try the cut-away method of interior display as these large models are too pricey for 4 thumbs to start carving on them.

So I'll make all the hatches operational and the upper hull and turret removable then leave well enough alone.

Thanks for looking,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering why the main gun was about an inch shorter than the gun on the Panzer IV Type H I built earlier.  Turns out this has a 75mm L43 gun while the Type H being later has the

75mm L48 gun, about 15" longer.

So I did some more reading and this is actually an early Type G not an early Type F2 as Trumpeter claims.  The F2 designation was only temporary and they were re-named to Type G, not that it really matters.

Mine will have the spare tire storage rack on the left fender but pre-zimmerit and the large muzzle brake so that makes it a Type G, it still has the vision ports on the turret so an early Type G.

Sure is nice to get back to the man-sized 1/16 stuff after that 1/35 Mirror Models Diamond T wrecker, even though that one isn't quite finished and I'll have to re-visit it again.  Still amazes me how

anyone can work on 1/72 or 1/76, I'd loose it on my bench amid all the clutter.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 2

Back to this one today.  Starting to look like a Panzer IV but this is just a shell with not much interior yet. The engine and auxiliary generator are assembled but not painted or installed.

Not looking forward to the brake drums or all of those shell bins and the 50 odd shells or the turret cage as that's fun.

Built up the gun and mounting, the 75mm L43 gun with the large muzzle brake, the side doors on the turret, the turret storage bin and the cupola.  That cupola is something else with 46 parts,

just a little tedious.  Broke off one of the mounts for the tow cable and lost it of course so had to fab a new one from Evergreen rod.

Here it is, a Type G not Trumpeter's Type F2.

vVzIPw2.jpgIczmFAZ.jpgGzvDdHA.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 5

Wow!

It's -38C here this morning at 8:30AM, without any wind chills, that's even colder bbrrrrr!  Colder in Medicine Hat than at the north pole right now, it's only -28 there, what's with that?

Good day to see if I can make any progress on the Panzer.  Sure hope the furnace doesn't quit or worse the electricity goes out.

Sure wish I had some of your Spanish weather Francis.

Stay warm,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

Everything pretty much assembled now and dry fitted, wow, it actually fits!!  No excuse to not find some paint now I suppose but hate to have to take it all

apart again.

Got to mix up some red primer and some ivory white and tune up the airbrush.

Lots of pics again, sorry.

Lloyd

aZAbNLR.jpggvDghL4.jpgUXL88CJ.jpgNjLFM90.jpgyAJcVTD.jpg832tUYg.jpghwrO1zb.jpgeBKqbWO.jpgpl25XMx.jpgLwUTN7Q.jpg

• Like 5

That really is excellent and impressive progress Lloyd. The interior looks really well detailed. I'm looking forward to seeing it with the paint going on. 

Hope you have a Very Happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Stix

Plastix

Just doing some more fiddly stuff today, shells, machine guns and tow cable and stuff.  Maybe hit the paint booth tomorrow.

Happy New Year to you also, looking forward to some more exotic builds from The Plastix Co. in the new year..

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi Francis

All of the interior is just dry fitted for now, that's why I said I didn't want to take it all apart again.  It all has to come out so

I can paint, otherwise a big mess all one color.

I've been playing with photo etch tool holders and the radio cage is a real treat but I may get some paint on it today, or tomorrow........not a

big hurry.

Take care,

Lloyd

Finally got all of the tool clamp photo etch done and the radio cage along with painting the cable with some primer.  That's about all of the assembly so now to take

the interior apart again and start applying some paint.  Then there's still the 50 odd shells to tackle, 3 different types and all different colors, some of them 4 color and

3 decals, joy.

Here it is as of this aft.

0gupZGH.jpgGmZZmek.jpgSW5yECg.jpggN3yOos.jpgzGbH3r4.jpgU4xmHw0.jpg

Looks like a Holstein cow with that white pre-shading.  Hopefully some grey tomorrow.

The last 18 shells thank goodness.  Four colors and 3 decals per shell is a bit of a chore.

Here it is as of this evening and enough for today.

MH1awor.jpgoFnY1IK.jpgFzyFMVp.jpgVsCET9m.jpgW7kxSqN.jpg

Here it is as of noon with a light coat of Tamiya German Grey.  Got to paint the tools, tow cable and muffler then a coat of Future, some decals and light weathering.

I know the inside of the hatches on the 3 color scheme were painted the exterior color but on the mono grey scheme are the inside of the hatches interior or exterior color?

I want to open some hatches but don't know the inside colors.  The hatches over the engine compartment are primer red on the inside but the others?

Anyway here's a monochrome grey panzer, rather boring.

wIYWo9E.jpgcHpNMAC.jpg25Akbh3.jpgjGM9afG.jpg49CqgCw.jpg

• Like 1

Here it is this afternoon.  I tried a light over spray of Tamiya RLM Grey but it's still too dark.  I'm going to try some light colored dirt

and some wet brush treatment to see if I can get a brownish/greyish look and lighter if possible.  If that doesn't work it's another white

wash job to cover things up.

I screwed up the decals on the left side of the turret so I'll pretend they re-numbered it in the field.  Don't know if I can cover that up without re-painting.

White wash will fix it but that's a last resort.

74fuLCz.jpg0AlfLxU.jpgo6Oj3JG.jpgor3NQ4j.jpgG29Dlny.jpgAdLH2BR.jpg

• Like 1