Trumpeter 1/16 Panzer IV Ausf. "G" ( Trumpeter's F2)

BlackMax12

35 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Big X

The 1/16 Trumpeter Panzer IV Type H I built had about 2000 pieces and it took around 2 weeks.  There's a WIP and a RFI on here for that one.

Started Aug 1st and finished around Aug 14th.

Lloyd

You are a legend Sir :clap2:

This one may be a bit slower as there's 3 pieces per track link, you have to glue the teeth on after assembling the tracks.  That's different than the Ausf H tracks as those were links with

solid teeth molded on the links and you just pushed a pin through to join them.  So that's something like 690 pieces of track for this one, still less than the 1000 piece Rye Field Abrams 1/35 track though and lots bigger pieces.

There's also a call out of quite a few unused parts in this kit and then quite a few additional parts that weren't used on the Ausf H so it sort of evens out.  Both kits have a lot of pieces but

they are big enough I can see them and easier to find on the carpet when dropped, LOL.

Lloyd

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Big X

The 1/16 Trumpeter Panzer IV Type H I built had about 2000 pieces and it took around 2 weeks.  There's a WIP and a RFI on here for that one.

Started Aug 1st and finished around Aug 14th.

Lloyd

13 days, wow:worthy::worthy::worthy: . How many arms and hands have you got? Kraken released? This should be a joyful build then. These 1/16 kits are awesome.

/Stefan

Thanks Julian

Worked on it until the witching hour last night and all I've accomplished is one track run and part of the second.  I think the record is safe.

I didn't realize this one had no schurzen until I started studying the instruction manual.  That's good and it will look different without and of

course if I can manage a grey early paint scheme it will be even better.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Thanks Blaubar

No only equipped with the standard set of hands and sometimes 4 thumbs.  I started the Type H and I just couldn't put it down and

I spent at least 12 hours or more a day on it for the 2 weeks so there's lots of hours in a short time.  Retirement gives one lots of spare time.

I won't be as eager with this one. After about 10-12 hours on it yesterday and last night all I've managed is to get the track links cleaned up and one of the runs

complete with 99 links and the second about half finished.

I glued one of the sprockets together and the 2 halves of the engine block but that's about it.

Take care,

Lloyd

Another monster !, One day I would love to do one of these, but I would not know where to put it !, If I'm not wrong, you'll end up in Panzer Gray ?, a color that I find very difficult to work at ease, I'll like to see how is finished :popcorn:...

Cheers Lloyd :cold:

Thanks Kev

Yes I saw that emodels build of the Panzer IV Ausf H, looked pretty good but I thought there was a tad too much weathering.  That one sure saw

some action.

This one is a little different with the view ports on the front sides of the main superstructure and of course no side skirts or turret shields and even the tracks are

different with holes in the teeth, which are separate parts and not a lot of fun.  Oh yes, it will be an attempt at a Grey panzer this time too.  

Take care,

Lloyd

Not much progress today.  Those tracks are fun, 215 links with 4 sprue attachment points to clean up on each link and the teeth are separate to glue on. Good thing

is there are no punch marks on either side of the links to fill.

Slow build this one.

dnHoJZo.jpgUFj6I8k.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 5

Is this model a much better kit than that of the KT? Since a majority of the parts in the KT are incorrect, I was wondering if Trumpeter has stepped up their game or if its the same poor model quality across the board. 

Mark

Thanks Francis

Yes the tracks are assembled but not much else yet.

Thanks John

The hardest part of the tracks is the cleanup and gluing the teeth in place, otherwise they fit together really well.  They are done!!!!

I like the big ones as it's easier for the old thumbs and eyes to handle, displaying them not as easy though.

Mark

Trumpeter did a decent job on the majority of this kit but they really scrimped on the engine bay compared to the KT, same as the Panzer IV Type H.  No hoses at all and not

much detail.  They went nuts on the radio equipment with a heap of Photo Etch which is a waste as it's hidden anyway.  It's a toss-up which is

better, this or the KT but both are about the same as the T-34/85 and the SU-100.  It's a shame they put a lot of detail in some dumb places then miss

detail where it can be seen.  I also wish they would do zimmerit like some of the Dragon 1/35 kits as it's another $100 for the ATAK zimmerit for this kit

so that isn't happening.

They all require a lot of work to bring them up to museum quality and accuracy but what the heck they look like what they're supposed to represent so I'm happy.

I find them easier to work on than 1/35 now but wish they weren't so pricey, Cdn$300 plus per kit and all of the extra paint, etc. required is getting pretty rich.

I still want the 1/16 Panther if it ever comes out and there's a Jagdtiger coming, it's been on order since Sept 5th and that pretty much finishes my large scale collection.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

Here it is this evening with one track run in place.  The suggested 99 links per side seems about right. The idler wheels flop around so

once the track tension is set the idler wheel axle has to be glued in place.  It's actually nice you can set the track tension as desired.

There's nothing inside yet, just wanted to get one track run in place to see if the length was correct without adding or removing any links.

Good so far.  Hopefully the other side will be the same.

D2WTkIO.jpgKSDSLrk.jpg

• Like 4