1/72 Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien (Tony) by Tamiya

Botan

10 hours ago, sofiane1718 said:

What's wrong with the Aoshima one?

Probably not a lot, but most mainstream manufacturers don't look to fill gaps in the market they look to fill gaps in their range of kits.

Edited by Tbolt

I built the aoshima ki 100 in 1/72 nd scale and whie a nice kit , it has heavy panel lines (like the 1/72nd scale airfix spitfire mk 1) and the canopy framing is very vague around the curves making masking difficult . It also cost me a good 4/5 $ more than the tamiya corsair or mitsubishi zero when purchased from Japan based hobbysearch . All tamiya 72nd scale kit of single engine fighters cost between 8-12 $ while the aoshima kits are above 15$ . 

Edited by Basuroy

On 12/9/2017 at 8:54 PM, Whofan said:

Two weeks after I pick up the 1/72 Revell Tony, Tamiya announce theirs.

Anyone want to buy a Revell 1/72 Tony?

You'll have to pay me to take that off your hands. Revell should be fined for reboxing that... thing.

Is this the Tei version Tamiya is releasing? Presumably they scaled down their 1/48 kit.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fulcrum@ said:

Very good news, Botan, hope to downscale all their 1/48 kits !

If I were to guess , I would say they will downscale the Tomcat . Popular subject and will complement their very well received F-16 . 

• 1 month later...

Youtube video.

Model will include camouflage as decals. Those are separate set.

Edited by Botan
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 8:01 PM, sroubos said:

You'll have to pay me to take that off your hands. Revell should be fined for reboxing that... thing.

Is this the Tei version Tamiya is releasing? Presumably they scaled down their 1/48 kit.

Think of it as an after market decal sheet with a free paint mule thrown in and it doesn't hurt so much. That's how I rationalised mine after I'd opened the box :D 

On 21/12/2017 at 8:54 AM, Basuroy said:

If I were to guess , I would say they will downscale the Tomcat . Popular subject and will complement their very well received F-16 . 

Which they never bothered to do any variant of aside from the basic Block 50 :(

• 2 months later...

A shocking omission by tamiya is not including multiple piece canopy and instead settling for a single piece one !!!  The interior detailing is on par with their 72nd scale zero and it is a pity , to put it midly , that one cannot display it open . 

• Thanks 1

I was surprised to see this has only just become available in stores in UK and The Netherlands.

On 2/2/2018 at 5:44 AM, Phantome said:

I'm hoping the next in line is a Ki-84. Killer bird desperately in need of a modern 1/72 tooling

Sword's Ki-84s are very nice. They are not shake 'n bake but they build up very well indeed.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1