F-4J (RAF) and FG.1 nose contours, any difference?

bootneck

Hello all you phabulous Phantom enthusiasts.  I am building up the info I will need to convert a 1:144 scale F-4J Phantom into a F-4K/FG.1 version and would like to know whether the nose contours are the same.  I have some info on the enlarged rear and underside for the engines but could do with some differences in contours if that info is out there.  At this scale, it is not imperative that every inch of detail is exact and I just need to work out where to add milliput to get the shape correct.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice, and plans/drawings if possible.

Mike

Ian and Jabba are correct, there's no discernible difference in the shape of the front fuselage but the engine intakes were widened by about six inches IIRC to allow for he higher mass flow required by the Speys. In 1/144th that'd be about 1/24th of an inch or 40 thou in old money.

40 thou is good enough for me, thanks.  Do you know how far back the widening went?  Was it just the actual opening, and then blend in to the fuselage, or did it go further back?

cheers

Mike

Hi George,

yes, and thanks, I am aware of that; however, I have approx. 30 phantom kits of various types in 1:144 but not much cash nowadays, therefore converting some of what I have could be fun.  Then again, I could mash it all up in the attempt and have to go for Whirlybird's anyway (You know I want to! :giggle: ).

Mike