1/144 Eduard Spitfire IXe - French Indochina

ajmm

Hullo. I built this for a GB over on Kampfgruppe 144, where there's a full WiP. Like one of those soppy parents who can't help but show you pictures of their child at every opportunity, I'm afraid I'm pretty proud of it so felt compelled to post here. Forgive me.

IMG_5431-L.jpg

IMG_5437-L.jpg

The French inherited some Spits (VIIIs initially, latterly IXe's) from General Gracey's British forces that re-occupied Indochina after the Japanese defeat in August 1945. In the war of ground support against the Viet Minh, the nippy little interceptor that was built to take on the Fw-190 was really pretty inadequate really: they lacked the hitting/lifting power of the big, brutish American Hellcats, Helldivers and Bearcats that the French later received in the late-1940s, and they also lacked the legs to conduct close air support where they were needed most (i.e. along the Chinese border and upcountry Tonkin highlands where suitable airstrips were few and far between). The Spits rapidly became knackered - the photo below gives a sense of this.

file.php?id=11972&mode=view 

The scheme (of GC. 1/4) is relatively popular, being one of the more colourful kit options for the Eduard 144 IXe. I used the kit decals, but added some bomb racks (Brengun), bombs (3D printed via a seller on Shapeways - superb little things)….

IMG_5425-L.jpg

I actually had a devil of a time finding RAF 250lb bombs in this scale so was delighted when I found these and discovered they were of such good quality/detail.

IMG_5436-L.jpg

I also used Eduard's own (and really quite lovely) photo etch, cutting open the cockpit door. 

IMG_5432-L.jpg

IMG_5435-L.jpg

This is really only the second aircraft I've attempted with reasonably serious photoetchery - a skill I've learned over the course of the Vietnam GB this was built for (the other build was my Toucan). I've been pleasantly surprised to find that it's not as daunting as I had once thought, and the process can even be enjoyable! 

IMG_5428-L.jpg

I used pale pastels to weather and fade the the panels. In the harsh light of the photo booth this has not come out very well, but looks great to my (naked, possibly biased) eye. I'll use that technique in future, I think. Prismacolour silver pencil for the chipping (which I tried not to overdo, but these poor Spitfires really were knackered).

IMG_5433-L.jpg

I have to say, I've enjoyed this build enormously. Although it has taken me a while, it has been a blast (and a welcome sanctuary from nappy changes) - which is what this hobby is all about, I reckon.

IMG_5434-L.jpg

Much fun had. Thanks for looking!

Edited by ajmm
  • Like 17

Lovely build there Angus.  I had been watching your WiP over on Kampfgruppe and it has given me some ideas on how to go about some of my builds.  Well done.

Mike

• Like 1

That is the bee`s knee`s,....... and just as tiny! Wish my eyes could handle this scale,.. but you have done a marvellous job and should be very proud of it, 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1