1/48 WAH-64 Apache advice

MickE

Hi all

I have decided to get myself a 1/48 WAH-64 Apache. I see that both Revell and Italeri produce one. Which one would you chaps recommend for accuracy and quality? Which kit best represents an Apache in UK service?

Mick

having built the Revell one it is a bit of a pig to build. It's the old Monogram A with an extra sprue to make the D in either US Army or British Army. The cockpit needs a lot of help and the fit of the new parts is not good. Saying that it did come out ok with some elbow grease. You will need to make or buy the rocket pods used on the british version as they are not provided in the kit. There is an after market set to make the Hasegawa one into a WAH version which would be a better route which would work on the Italeri one as l do not think it comes with those parts. l did a build on here somewhere but whether you have to the apps to see my pictures on photobucket you can see what needs to be done.

Hacker......ho ho baw hum bug lol

My understanding, being in a similar boat @MickE is that the Italeri kit is ok for an early version, the Academy 1/72 being the most modern tooling.

There is also the Hasegawa kit if you're feeling flush, a specific UK version although I haven't found much about accuracy on that one.

Mick, I'd go for Hasegawa kit HA 07445 if I were you.

I have three of the Hasegawa kits in the stash, one generic AH-64D (PT23) and two in the RNetnAF demo livery. And one of the Revell kit Hacker has already commented on, but mainly because this kit packs the later RNethAF demo livery (and perhaps for some cannibalizing, but not likely).

And although I have not yet compared the Hasegawa kits very thoroughly with photographs of the real thing, they are much, much better detailed than Revell/Monogram's attempt. And considering that the Hasegawa RNethAF kits also contain the AMASE pods currently exclusively used/tested by the RNethAF, I dare say that they will have treated the Westland version kit with the same thoroughness.

I think the Hasegawa kits are the best value for money, but I suppose in the end it will be up to how much you can and want to spend on a kit.

BTW, I will replace the Hasegawa kit cockpits with Aires replacements.

Robert

l have the Hasegawa kit but lucked out and got the IDF version with resin conversion in it cheap! The cockpit is typical Hasegawa and needs sprucing up. You can either go the Eduard route with PE or go the Aires route with resin replacement. No matter what you choose there is not really decent straight out of the box kits if you want better detail. The original Monogram "A" version is not bad . Well detailed for the age but Revell fell short with the "D" add on parts. They would have been better off going for a straight new model on this but hey l am just a builder who likes a challenge

Hacker ....mentally challenged too