STEEL PANTHER IN THE SNOW - PANTHER A 1/35 ITALERI

FrancisGL

On 17/12/2017 at 13:53, clive_t said:

Sorry Francis, did I understand you correctly that you are looking to improve this???

I have no idea how that would even be possible, but I am following to see what you do with what is already a wonderful piece of work.

:popcorn:

As I said before I think, I will focus on the weathering, and some small details of equipment, in addition to correct some gaps in the kit ...

Thank you very much for your interest Clive, Merry Christmas for you and all yours! :santa:

23 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Francis,

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you too.

You've certainly had a productive and highly successful 2017 what with all your 'renovations.'

Your Panther was fantastic to start with, but for the most part I do like the improvements. The added mud is great, especially on the road wheels and lower hull etc, with nice texture and colour. I can't fault it.

However, I do think you've gone a bit too far with the 'leaves' in a few places. In particular, those all along the bottom edge of the sponsons. I just don't believe leaves would get up there, and stay there. A couple, maybe, but not that many. The same applies to the leaves stuck to the storage boxes on the rear fenders.

It's only my opinion of course, others may disagree.

But despite my reservations about the leaves, I do think your Panther is better than it was, so you have been successful.

Rearguards,

Badder

As always, your opinion appreciated, and being reasoned, much better.

You see, what I tried to do with the leaves, on the one hand, which with the movement of the vehicle through the ground, in an environment with water, dirt and mud, should be stuck on it, and on the other hand, when the vehicle is stopped, supposedly in a "hiding place" with vegetation and trees, safe from aviation, so that process, would cause some to fall on it.

They are not yet dry and "firm" on the kit, surely when I brush gently, the pigments and the leaves, I see that dust and other material always ends up falling, which has not yet been fixed, so at the end of the process, they are probably left less.

If I did not misunderstand, for you, the excess would be in the boxes of rear parts, and in the lateral contour along the hull ?. When you have a moment, I would like you to tell me precisely where you are please.

Here I put a couple of photos, with which I have been inspired / documented ...

The photos are for informative purposes only, and all rights belong to their legitimate owners (if it were necessary to remove them, just tell me).

ajMQgXn.jpg

fP86ovU.jpg

Merry Christmas for you and all yours!:santa:, Cheers Badder:cheers:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

If I did not misunderstand, for you, the excess would be in the boxes of rear parts, and in the lateral contour along the hull ?. When you have a moment, I would like you to tell me precisely where you are please.

Hi Francis,

Yes, too many leaves along the lateral contour of the hull and too many on the stowage box on the rear right fender. I'm not saying there wouldn't be ANY there, just not THAT many.

17 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Merry Christmas for you and all yours!:santa:, Cheers Badder:cheers:

And a fantastic Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours too Francis. It's been a pleasure seeing you work this year and I look forward to your 'Yearbook'. I won't be having a yearbook unless I plonk my big tree and miniart building in there!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Thanks 1

But if those leaves have been put there as part of the camouflage, then I'd say put even more on there and make it very obvious that it's camouflage! :idea:

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Francis,

Yes, too many leaves along the lateral contour of the hull and too many on the stowage box on the rear right fender. I'm not saying there wouldn't be ANY there, just not THAT many.

And a fantastic Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours too Francis. It's been a pleasure seeing you work this year and I look forward to your 'Yearbook'. I won't be having a yearbook unless I plonk my big tree and miniart building in there!

Rearguards,

Badder

I take note of what has been said, I will see how I fix it, as you comment in the 2nd post, it could have been part of a camo, which has already been removed, and since this is the edge of the hull, there are remains of mud, hence that they have stayed ... it would have to have some crew to be able to ask them what they did ... but I am a negate for the figures, at least for the moment ... lol.:innocent:

I would like more opinions on this, to see if anyone else is encouraged to comment.

Good idea of the Yearbook, I had not fallen into that, I published the first, if you decide to do one, I would like to see it.

Cheers Badder and thanks for reply mate :yes:

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

Hi Francis. Progress is looking good and I, like Badder, like most of the work with the leaves but I do agree with him that there are perhaps too many in some locations. I think leaves always add another interesting dimension to armour builds but I think less is sometimes more - in other words a few will give a better impression of some left behind rather than a lot which look to be artificially in clumps. At some point I will try and do something similar with one of my tank builds. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Hi Francis,

Great work going on here. The mud and slushy muck you added look very good, I would have to agree with Badder and Stix about the leaves though, think you need to give things a good work over with a stiff brush and remove a lot of the leaves. Once again you are improving an earlier build though. Like it a lot.

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

cheers mate,

;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Francis. Progress is looking good and I, like Badder, like most of the work with the leaves but I do agree with him that there are perhaps too many in some locations. I think leaves always add another interesting dimension to armour builds but I think less is sometimes more - in other words a few will give a better impression of some left behind rather than a lot which look to be artificially in clumps. At some point I will try and do something similar with one of my tank builds. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you very much for your comments, I was already seeing what I was going to remove, and an authorized opinion more about the matter, coincident, gives a greater clarity of action.

I do not know exactly what I'll take away, it may still be more than I should have, or less than what I'd like to do..lol, it's not an exact science of weathering ...

Cheers Stix :santa:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gremlin56 said:

Hi Francis,

Great work going on here. The mud and slushy muck you added look very good, I would have to agree with Badder and Stix about the leaves though, think you need to give things a good work over with a stiff brush and remove a lot of the leaves. Once again you are improving an earlier build though. Like it a lot.

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

cheers mate,

;)

I'm going to have to borrow the broom from the Snow Man in the park, because I see that I'm going to need it, I hope to fix it without much trouble, because then I thought about adding some snow to the model ...

I wish you the same Julian, :santa:, cheers

On 09/12/2017 at 12:54 PM, FrancisGL said:

It is true that this kit at the time of its release, suffered from errors of accuracy, but as I had it, and it was starting, I decided to give it a try, it was also a PANTHER (I love cats and their derivatives ...:cat:lol) .

I love cats too: Wildcat, Tomcat, Tigercat, Cougar and the Panther indeed.

Mud, dust, rust .... ready for a medal that one. A really excellent job.

Bastogne is not that far from here, I believe I hear your big bad cat rumbling and it's gun screeching.

• Thanks 1

Hi Francis

Belated Merry Christmas.:smile:

This looks pretty awesome and you actually did improve it, hard as that is to believe.  I've heard of making a silk purse from a sow's ear but when you 

already had the silk purse.........

If you don't like these old models before you revisit them, then I'll take them off your hands, LOL

BTW I agree with the experts, too many leaves, especially along the edges of the hull and the bottoms of the storage boxes.  How would they ever stick there?

They look great trapped in the tracks and wheels and on the glacis but not so much on the hull sides.  Again, just my thoughts, wish I had half your skills then I

could nitpick even better.

I have a 1 year old male tabby that's death to Christmas trees and wreaths, any takers?

Take care,

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PattheCat said:

I love cats too: Wildcat, Tomcat, Tigercat, Cougar and the Panther indeed.

Mud, dust, rust .... ready for a medal that one. A really excellent job.

Bastogne is not that far from here, I believe I hear your big bad cat rumbling and it's gun screeching.

Thank you very much for your kind words and your follow, I still have to do more things with this kit, for example, the leaves will change (unless), and add some snow, plus some small details of equipment.
Well yes, I would like to get a medal, but I'm still not so good ... lol

Happy New Year mate :santa:

Edited by FrancisGL

5 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Hi Francis

Belated Merry Christmas.:smile:

This looks pretty awesome and you actually did improve it, hard as that is to believe.  I've heard of making a silk purse from a sow's ear but when you 

already had the silk purse.........

If you don't like these old models before you revisit them, then I'll take them off your hands, LOL

BTW I agree with the experts, too many leaves, especially along the edges of the hull and the bottoms of the storage boxes.  How would they ever stick there?

They look great trapped in the tracks and wheels and on the glacis but not so much on the hull sides.  Again, just my thoughts, wish I had half your skills then I

could nitpick even better.

I have a 1 year old male tabby that's death to Christmas trees and wreaths, any takers?

Take care,

Lloyd

Many thanks for your kind words Lloyd, you see, it's not that I do not like these models, it happens to me that when I see such good works in the forum, I think, that I could improve what I already had.

I also know something more after 3 years of new techniques and I have more means to do them, so I have to try ...

You yourself will be able to see the progress you have experienced, with respect to your first models, I do not know if you used to make kits, I did, although so long ago, and the modeling world was so different (and much simpler, PEs, which is that? ... lol), but as they say, perhaps, the one that had, retained ...

I think the key is patience and dedicate all the time necessary before saying "Finished", look at it, look at it, see if there is something that is not to your liking, if there is something wrong ... and then, retouch here or there , then, the result can only be good, regardless of our ability to execute (of course there are gifted for everything ...:innocent: lol).

I have to remove some sheets, I hope to guess, because this is not an exact science, and the personal tastes / vision of personal modeling, I think they have a great influence on the final result.

How many cats do you have (meat and bone, not plastic to 1/35 1/16 ... lol), I had one, it was not tabby, but as we said when they asked us what was "Cat-cow", it was black and white, for almost 21 years.

Before you could remove the claws, with an operation with total anesthesia, and no longer had to endanger the Christmas trees and the like, but it is already prohibited by law, so Mrs. of the house says that ...:dalek1:

Cheers and Happy New Year Lloyd :santa:

Hi Francis

One cat is enough for any house, especially a little terror only one year old.  We had a Garfield colored cat for 23 years and his kidneys gave out

so we had to put him down last year, sad sad day that was.  We resisted for a while but the place was like a morgue without a cat so we got this 2 month

old tabby kitten.  That's way too young and energetic for a couple of old fools though.  We have had him a year now and he's slowed down some

but not enough, the old fellow used to be pretty mellow and slept quite a bit but not this young dude.

I don't agree with the claw butchering operation, unnecessary cruelty I think and I'd never ever do that.  Neutering or spaying is bad enough without

crippling their natural defences or the ability to hang from just about anything with only one paw.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Sad 1

On 28/12/2017 at 08:56, ModellerUK said:

Wow, that real weathering you have done certainly looks the part and make it look a bit more ‘abused’ 

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it, I will try to improve it as much as possible, I hope not to ruin it ...

cheers and HNY2018 for you and yours mate :santa:

UPDATE 02:

Hi Pals, continuing with the weathering of the model...

Following the advice of some mates, I took the broom, and I have swept a few leaves ... lol

It has not been too easy, not the process, of course, but they were gripped, and tightly held to their place (only with varnish ...), so it might not be as clean as it should be, but IHMO, I think that has changed the look.

I added some snow here, and there, some details of equipment, such as jerrycans and helmets, as well as empty shells (metallic), with a touch of black, simulating their use, which will be scattered over the top back of the model, for the photo session of the corresponding RTI.

Once the added material is dry, I'll see to take the pictures as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for watch and comment as always. :D

AnOtNmY.jpg

EvroANR.jpg

sH4Ksk8.jpg

KlGJiaY.jpg

uTPcdbK.jpg

Me2yruo.jpg

IA0T2Se.jpg

ctjbzYS.jpg

oykfQV9.jpg

CSPv1AX.jpg

ndX2Sxg.jpg

With more snow, less leaves ...:cold:

muzo12p.jpg

cObJChy.jpg

BdPtixz.jpg

aeX35XL.jpg

vagJq7Q.jpg

IMUOsyG.jpg

Cheers mates :thanks:

• Like 6

Looking good. But look on the front of the hull Clive - you can see there a gap between bottom and top panel. Right on the front (last photo). Add some more mud there to mask it and it gonna be excellent. 

Edited by Kris B
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2018 at 15:13, Kris B said:

Looking good. But look on the front of the hull Clive - you can see there a gap between bottom and top panel. Right on the front (last photo). Add some more mud there to mask it and it gonna be excellent. 

Thanks Kris for the warning, it must have fallen some pigments when I touched it, but as you say is easy to fix, I had not realized ...

:o

Cheers mate :thanks: