STEEL PANTHER IN THE SNOW - PANTHER A 1/35 ITALERI

FrancisGL

hi Pals,

For this occasion, so close to Christmas, and with the cold that it is doing (or is already doing..lol),  :cold:I present a model very much in keeping with the dates we are living, it is a Panther by Italeri, a whole oldie.

This is the 4th model that welcomes what I have called "Renove Plan", because I was already assembled before joining the forum, and with this if I started to take pictures, but not the process, if already finished, with the first smartphone that fell into my hands (I'm not an enthusiast of them, I prefer to modelling) ... very bad and I with very little experience of use, so the quality of the photos is quite low.

This kit if I remember that it is the first one I did completely from scratch, and I have to say, that I thought it was a good kit, with more detail than I expected, even included the option to add Zimmerit, which I really liked.

It is true that this kit at the time of its release, suffered from errors of accuracy, but as I had it, and it was starting, I decided to give it a try, it was also a PANTHER (I love cats and their derivatives ...:cat:lol) .

The Zimmerit option was to add plastic plates, to the corresponding sides, and fortunately that was included, because without them, the union between pieces of the hull, left large gaps, quite difficult to fix, but with them on top, arranged. ..

When I was picking up the hobby, my skills were in a lethargic state, I did not know very well that I was going to get out of this pile of plastic, and the means and resources I had were quite few, as I did not have pigments, washes, and so on. to do what is necessary (I would have given almost the same, because I had not used them before either).

You can see that the splashes of snow are droplets of white paint, and dust and mud, what you can get with paint.

In spite of everything, modestly, I was surprised, I liked it very much as it was, I did not expect it, because on several occasions, I was about to throw it away.

At first, my idea was to make a tritone camo, but when I saw how I was left, AAARRRRGHHH !!!, horrible:rage:, then only Dunkelgelb, ugly, ugly ... a third attempt with Panzer Gray, and I almost got something more agreeable , and finally, why not add a little white here and another over there ... result BINGO !!!.

Once with the winter camo, I began to test my skills in the new world of weathering.

The final result I liked, I added some little things like the grids of the engine, and the tracks were glued with CA glue, but they ended up detaching, so I used seton to attach them to the wheels, a process that I would not like to repeat, for its difficulty and risk of breakage ...

After about 3 years, I will try to improve it, only with weathering and some equipment detail, I will not play the tracks or the canyon,I think the damage would be very difficult to fix or impossible.

Thanks for watching and comment as always, cheers Pals.:D

77Fwgsz.jpg

9AWQIXL.jpg

nmolY1k.jpg

kbzYMf4.jpg

ltoxfDI.jpg

nkzDvDf.jpg

63xLI6K.jpg

8mRNrIM.jpg

SqaJk8n.jpg

ntQJFcp.jpg

mupCLxa.jpg

7sLBpeW.jpg

mxIVrlR.jpg

4YCBf9b.jpg

m4IIPP6.jpg

N4zZI6F.jpg

ACIzpGn.jpg

OROroJI.jpg

236xulj.jpg

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Hi Francis,

Once again you've got a pretty good model to start with. I'd certainly be happy with it as it is! However, I can understand that you may look upon it now and think 'I can do better', because I think exactly the same thing when I look at my back catalogue of models! But that's how we improve isn't it? Your skills at 'renovating' models improve with each model, so I'm sure this one is going to turn out to be one of your best!

So, I will be following this one as well.

Good luck and rearguards

Badder

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2017 at 14:05, Badder said:

Hi Francis,

Once again you've got a pretty good model to start with. I'd certainly be happy with it as it is! However, I can understand that you may look upon it now and think 'I can do better', because I think exactly the same thing when I look at my back catalogue of models! But that's how we improve isn't it? Your skills at 'renovating' models improve with each model, so I'm sure this one is going to turn out to be one of your best!

So, I will be following this one as well.

Good luck and rearguards

Badder

Once again you are the first to comment !, very kind for your interest and support. I'm glad you like it as it is, as I said before in the introduction, the photos are very low quality (for the reasons above), but "live", the model looks even better ... :innocent: although I think I can do something else for him ...

This of the "Renove Plan", although it has its risks (I can ruin everything), it is very economical, and I am left with new kits, because I do not have a place to put them to enjoy seeing them without spoiling me (therefore none of them ending / revised has antennas).

Undoubtedly, this model has that added charm of being a Panther, and the color is very attractive for its brightness, so I hope you are right, and the result is convincing.

Many thanks for your kind words and like, cheers Badder :cheers:

• Like 1

As Badder pointed out - you are starting with an upgrade for a model many of us would have been really pleased with but we know what magic you'll be able to add to the existing Panther. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, it was already a nice build, particularly if special supplies and fancy aftermarket pieces were not available ;) 

What do you plan to work on ... tracks I guess ?

Cheers, E

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2017 at 12:29, Gremlin56 said:

And another good choice of subject Francis, be interesting to watch how you give this Panther a second life ;)

Many thanks for your like and lind words, i hope you're right, the truth is that I liked how it was, but something drives me to touch it

Cheers Julian :yes:

On 11/12/2017 at 12:22, PlaStix said:

As Badder pointed out - you are starting with an upgrade for a model many of us would have been really pleased with but we know what magic you'll be able to add to the existing Panther. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks for your follow and kind words, the truth is that I was very happy with what I got, considering that it was the first model I made from zero, to resume the hobby after so many years, but now, i see so many things, that something drives you to try to improve it (I hope..lol), although I'm going to focus on the weathering almost 100%.

Cheers Styx :cheers:

• Like 1

Sorry Francis, did I understand you correctly that you are looking to improve this???

I have no idea how that would even be possible, but I am following to see what you do with what is already a wonderful piece of work.

:popcorn:

• Like 2

On 11/12/2017 at 22:41, Etienne said:

Well, it was already a nice build, particularly if special supplies and fancy aftermarket pieces were not available ;) 

What do you plan to work on ... tracks I guess ?

Cheers, E

As I said in the intro, for fear of ruining the model, I will focus on weathering, that is, more "natural", with pigments and products, for the purposes, because before I used only paint, and some details of equipment here , over there...

Many thanks for your kind words and interest, cheers Etienne :yes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrancisGL said:

As I said in the intro, for fear of ruining the model, I will focus on weathering, that is, more "natural", with pigments and products, for the purposes, because before I used only paint, and some details of equipment here , over there...

Many thanks for your kind words and interest, cheers Etienne :yes:

No metal tracks :worry: ... don't worry, Francis, the tracks are not that bad and don't detract from the quality of the build :lol: E

• Thanks 1

On 18/12/2017 at 15:34, Etienne said:

No metal tracks :worry: ... don't worry, Francis, the tracks are not that bad and don't detract from the quality of the build :lol: E

In this case, I would have liked some metal tracks, but they are difficult to get for this model, they are always sold out, and on the other hand, the Panther's imbricated running gear complex, together with the fragile plastic of this kit, a serious risk of "breaking more than improving".
The prosher Panther that mount, unless you bring some tracks link to link, I'll see that they are some metal tracks ...

Many thanks for your interest and kind words,  heers Etienne :yes:

UPDATE 01:

I have started with the process of a more "real" weathering, that is, with pigments and mud, in addition to some vegetation.

One of the things that I am going to correct, and that I do not notice at the time, is the pieces of zimmerit, on the hull and turret, which were not sufficiently adjusted, so you could see a small line between them.

It is easy, because there, I will put mud with attached vegetation. With that I get both.

Another necessary thing was to correct the small space between those plates and the front and bottom of the helmet. For this, a bit of putty, and then pigments, because there will be several accumulations.

Next detail to correct, the engine grids, at that time, only had those to improvise, now thanks to my spare parts box, the grid is thick and real, so I remove some, and put the others. I think the result is better (and it's been easy ... lol).

I have continued with more mud, pigments and dry leaves, adding them at random, although trying to be coherent.

In the lower part of the hull, a layer of dry / pigmented mud, and in the turret, some damages in the zimmerit, as well as in the hull.

wmCxfL0.jpg

RyfJRBz.jpg

1ya0zTR.jpg

nKpiySH.jpg

iCYRXip.jpg

X5SvJKG.jpg

0dIXhFu.jpg

zsSzKYb.jpg

0mZ5DSv.jpg

E3yZar8.jpg

NTQrHV6.jpg

PopSKZ9.jpg

0gDUWkC.jpg

muH7riS.jpg

yZF9NZV.jpg

2j1P2AU.jpg

OUYBQHD.jpg

Ndj4Zmu.jpg

3sfm0WS.jpg

zucX5wR.jpg

a1F7J6G.jpg

Akf9qHB.jpg

0YtM3cU.jpg

IHMO believe that the change is noticeable (I hope better ... lol), thanks for watching and comment as always, Best wishes and Happy Holidays and Happy New Year for all,:santa:

Cheers mates :cheers:

• Like 3

Hi Francis,

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you too.

You've certainly had a productive and highly successful 2017 what with all your 'renovations.'

Your Panther was fantastic to start with, but for the most part I do like the improvements. The added mud is great, especially on the road wheels and lower hull etc, with nice texture and colour. I can't fault it.

However, I do think you've gone a bit too far with the 'leaves' in a few places. In particular, those all along the bottom edge of the sponsons. I just don't believe leaves would get up there, and stay there. A couple, maybe, but not that many. The same applies to the leaves stuck to the storage boxes on the rear fenders.

It's only my opinion of course, others may disagree.

But despite my reservations about the leaves, I do think your Panther is better than it was, so you have been successful.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1