The Last Battleship - HMS Vanguard 1/350

andrewa

2 hours ago, Paul E said:

Wow, you are a quick worker. It would take me an absolute age to get that far. It looks really good though. You must be really pleased with how she is coming out. :thumbsup:

At the moment, it's more relief that I should be able to pull this build off - and not waste alot of cash on the various accessories!

And it'll definitely slow down from here on in - this was the easy bit

Very good work so far, Andrew.  I'll be watching!  I have the 1/430? Frog/Hasegawa kit and while I also have the Atlantic Models detail set and the (I think) Artwox wood deck, I fancy that a great deal of upperworks butchery and card work will be in order.  Most challenging shaping job I think will be the main batteries and their turrets.  Interested to see you mention the Samek kit as I have it as well and am thinking of patterning off it.

Edited by JosephLalor

Thanks folks,  before the chaos of Christmas I managed to finish the secondary barbettes and put together the two funnels, plus start the filling and clean up. So I'll add a few photos tomorrow.  Next up will to be to add the remaining deck houses to the mid and aft superstructure blocks.  Then it time to work out how best to handle the wood decks...

I'm starting to think this is all going too well - so either something is about to go horribly wrong or I'm still overly scarred by Trumpeters finest...

Edited by andrewa
  • Like 2

Last update on this build for the year - i've added a few more of the main structures.

Funnels we far easier than I expected, some Evergreen Tube split lengthways with flat section inserts scaled out perfectly. I made a long section, then cut both funnels and cowls from it. Base plates are each three layers cut with a circle cutter then sandwiched together and finished with some Milliput.

38520016415_3175110749_b.jpg

New deck houses include the forward AA director base, deck plates for the bridge, the top tier of the boat deck and the horribly complicated director base/AA mount on the aft superstructure.

38520016995_175a3541e0_b.jpg

I've also started the priming and cleanup process.

A

• Like 13

• 2 months later...

No need to the SAR shout just yet...

I had to have a word with my self about finishing a few of the works in progress that I'd only just started when I got distracted by Vanguard.  Any guesses?

39908496624_46be9fbd8c_b.jpg

Meanwhile I've picked up a few more accessories and played with some designs for the etched safety nets that I'll need at some point,  oh and tried really hard not to let some Fearless designs distract me further...

• Like 6

Mortar Mk.10 x 3, a twin 4.5 Mk.6, 2 x Type 993/4, a VDS (can’t remember; Type 175??), Seacats, 40/60s...

Hmmm.  A Leander on the right; Tribal on the left?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Mortar Mk.10 x 3, a twin 4.5 Mk.6, 2 x Type 993/4, a VDS (can’t remember; Type 175??), Seacats, 40/60s...

Hmmm.  A Leander on the right; Tribal on the left?

2 out of 3 

Tribal on the left, Eskimo or maybe Zulu.

Ikara Leander in the middle. Ajax or Leander.

4.5 Leander on the right Sirius or Juno in original fit.

I seemed to be collecting Pete Halls output but not building them so thought I’d do some catching up. There’s  half formed plan to build a chunk of q pier at Portland for a 70’s FOST scene. 

• Like 1

Sounds fun.  I have also been collecting Peter's work - besides the Ton Class which is in progress, I have an Ikara Leander (to be Dido, my first ship) and a DLG (to be Norfolk, my second).  They are superb!

• Like 1