New Space 1999 kits on the way

That's great!

I've been after a Hawk for ages, but the prices being aske for the old Airfix kit have been silly!

A new eagle in 72nd will be great too!  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HL-10 said:

That's great!

I've been after a Hawk for ages, but the prices being aske for the old Airfix kit have been silly!

A new eagle in 72nd will be great too!  :)

Agreed. I'm normally a 1/48th person but for me the two ships have always worked best in 1/72. I can seriously see myself buying 10 of each.

Count me in on this one. And a new-tool Eagle to follow in 1/72 would be perfect. I can only imagine that we'd see different Eagle variants hit the market quicker than the 1/48 as the financial risks are less. Of course, I could be wrong. I'm also a bit concerned with Round 2's release record, but for now I've got my fingers crossed for May.

Regarding the comment about the poor assembly and paint job....the model in the pictures is likely a 3D print from the CAD files prior to cutting the tooling. The images say 'subject to licensor approval'....better to make alterations to the CAD drawings than to have to redesign the finished tooling.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 11:47 PM, jargonking said:

Regarding the comment about the poor assembly and paint job....the model in the pictures is likely a 3D print from the CAD files prior to cutting the tooling. The images say 'subject to licensor approval'....better to make alterations to the CAD drawings than to have to redesign the finished tooling.

Correct. In fact I think its 3D printed in FUD and then primed. Same material I used to develop my custom Eagle.

• 3 months later...
On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 21:59, Steve Coombs said:

I built the Airfix ones 40 years ago. Long gone now, unfortunately.

I'll happily build the new ones if I can get my hands on them!

Time to watch the War Games episode again...

For me it was 25 - 30 years ago that I built the Airfix Hawk, it was the best of the space 1999 model ever.... until the 1/48 Eagle came along.

I would rather it was the 1/48 scale hawk!

Edited by Loach

• 2 weeks later...

Space 1999 is in my top 4 or 5 Anderson productions, but i can't say I recall the Hawk in any episodes. What was its intended purpose?

It appeared in but one episode, in which IIRC the crew of MBA hallucinated an attacking fleet of types which they recognised as Earth vessels, though where else but on the Moon the original Earth vessels would have been based (and there were none there, just LASER units for fitting to Eagles) is anyone's guess.  Orbital station?  Anyway, if memory serves, it was a ploy by peaceful aliens to keep away the nasty Humans whose minds were full of aggression, malice - and deadly offensive weapons like these.  Or it might have been a test...  Mwahahaha!

Edited by Chillidragon

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...