Airfix Kingfisher ++ Finished ++

CliffB

A failure from the Radial Engines Rock GB, here's the current state of play with my Airfix Kingfisher which I'm building straight OOB, as a nostalgia build.

P1100181.jpg

Cliff

• Like 5

Talk about nostalgia. I built this in the late sixties. It was dark blue plastic and it was my favourite for some time. However I'am  pretty sure I added land undercarriage instead of the floats so looking forward to a proper build.

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

Thank you folks :).

Steve, my first build of this was in dark blue plastic too.  Looking back, I can see that I had a taste for the slightly unusual even as a lad.  I was never tempted to but a Spifire or a Hurricane, for example!

Meanwhile, the build has been moving forward slowly and here is where it's currently at.

P1100195.jpg

I've been preparing all the sub-assemblies and also sorting out the transparencies.  The latter are beautifully clear, although slightly thick and with a terrible fit.  I'd already decided that I would need to build with some of the canopy sections slid open, as it would be virtually impossible (for me at least), to get all the parts to fit neatly together.

I decided to simply omit the central section of the navigator's canopy, as on the real thing it seems to disappear completely when fully open (I'm not sure how). 

In contrast, the pilot's canopy slides backwards over the fuselage and remains fully visible.  Unfortunately, the Airfix part is too thick to fit over the fuselage and so I hit on the solution that you can see.  Using thin plastic strip, I've created a canopy frame which is stuck directly to the fuselage.  When the model is fully painted, I'll 'glaze' the frame.  I'm hoping that just a few coats of Klear will give the desired effect B).  So much for building strictly OOB!

The next job is to mask the transparencies, prior to priming.

See you later

Cliff

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cliff,

I love the Airfix Kingfisher and I light a candle every Saturday evening, praying that Airfix is going to re-issue a new tool of the same... Candles are still cheap here, so why not...

Just a small point: the flaps are supposed to extend all the way to the fuselage. Only if you are interested in getting your scriber out.

The central section of the rear canopy just slid under the forward section. Must be a b...h to reproduce in 1/72...

Great show!

JR

• Like 1

On 14/12/2017 at 11:28 PM, Col. said:

That's an interesting solution to the canopy issue Cliff. Hpoe it works for you.

Thanks Col

I seem to be moving forward ridiculously slowly......

P1100197.jpg

On 23/12/2017 at 2:28 PM, jean said:

Hi Cliff,

I love the Airfix Kingfisher and I light a candle every Saturday evening, praying that Airfix is going to re-issue a new tool of the same... Candles are still cheap here, so why not...

Just a small point: the flaps are supposed to extend all the way to the fuselage. Only if you are interested in getting your scriber out.

The central section of the rear canopy just slid under the forward section. Must be a b...h to reproduce in 1/72...

Great show!

JR

Thanks Jean - particularly for the tip about the flaps.  I'll be ignoring your advice though this time I'm afraid - but only because I'm trying to do this one as an unadulterated OOB nostalgia build :winkgrin:

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

Cliff

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Col. said:

Any progress is always a set forward Cliff. Hope you're getting some free time to this one.

You're quite right Col :winkgrin:

Thankfully I have been able to put a bit more time in on the Kingfisher and am pleased to report that it now has some colour (albeit white).

P1100199.jpg

Perhaps surprisingly, the instructions call for the use of 14 different Humbrol colours and I shall be trying to use them all - exactly as Haldane Place intended!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

As long as it doesn't involve mixing combinations to end up with three shades.... They went through a silly season doing that. I still have the shakes to prove it.

I was wondering how it was standing up straight in the last but one post. Very smart idea.

• Like 1

Er, Cliff, I think there's a hole in your boat! :lol:  Nice way to display a float-plane and one I'll steal when doing my Supermarine S6b some day. As for those 14 colours; where on earth did Kingfishers get used in a harlequin camouflage scheme!?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys :)

Well here's five colours ticked off the list - but something's telling me that leaving the canopies open may not have been such a smart idea.....

Cliff

P1100201.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today it's been the turn of Hu144 Intermediate Blue.

The demarcation with the white undersides has been my first attempt at Blu-tac sausage masking.  It's not perfect, but overall I'm quite pleased with the result :)

P1100208.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Can I ask how you water-lined the floats? Whatever method you've used, the finished effect is very good. 

Hi Jon

It's very simple really.  In this case, I assembled the float and then gradually sanded it back on a sheet of coarse 'wet n' dry' laid on a work surface.  It probably took around 10 minutes.

On larger planes (for example, I waterlined a Felixstowe once), you can saw off 90% of what's needed and then sand back the last bit.

Cheers

Cliff

• Thanks 1

This is looking good Cliff. I've been using the blu-tac sausage method myself lately, with varying results.  Seems how hard or soft the edge depends on the angle of attack when airbrushed.  Still learning though.

Davey.

• Like 1

Looking good Cliff, it will be nice to see this one finished after following your progress in the GB. As @DaveyGair has said the result you get using blue-tack sausages can depend on the angle of the airbrush, but I have also found that varying the size of the sausage can give a softer edge. If you persist with this method and change things around slightly I am sure that you will achieve a pleasing result.

• Like 1

I use the blutac sausage method for all of my camouflage patterns and find it gives a nice demarcation but remember to mask the area the 'other' side of the sausage else you will suffer from over spray (don't ask me how I know this).

From the perspective of the Canopy sections, I managed to damage the opening canopy for the rear cockpit of my 1/48 Fulmar.  This section pushes forwards under the front fixed section.  I made a new one from a section cut from one of those clear plastic bottles you get soft drinks in.  Cut just over size and moulded over the damage part of the canopy using hot water.  Frames from painted sellotape and slide it in..

• Like 1