Tiger Models Spitfire (22/12 Finished)

My latest critter :D

I wanted to convert this one to an earlier MkIIa and so the cannon got the chop and some filling commenced .  Drilled out the exhausts and bashed up the cockpit interior, chopped down behind the seat and added some selective gizmos to fill the empty space created.  All keeping with the exaggerated nature of the kit.  I'm just about done painting the interior and I'm about to glue everything all together.  I love that these beauties go together quickly and without any fuss. Oh and I did some wheel hubs as the kit is just a flat plate.  I did four spokes because I knew that five was a spoke too far.  

Pics

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2002-L.jpg

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2001-L.jpg

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2004-L.jpg

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2003-L.jpg

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2005-L.jpg

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2006-L.jpg

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2007-L.jpg

I don't yet know what camouflage/markings I will apply but I've got some ideas to make stencils with the silhouette cutter.

Great little kit, I'm having too much fun :D

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 2

Progress;

Well she's up on her feet.  I managed to get the underside shot.  I tried out spraying the Air Model paints from Vallejo.  I need to work with them a lot more to be as comfortable as I am in spraying Tamiya but I do love their vibrant colours.  Still a fair bit more to do but we are getting somewhere fast.  I'm starting to work out how much room there is for the markings, we'll see how that goes.

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2009-L.jpg

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2008-L.jpg

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2010-L.jpg

Oh and I'm going the long way round to get those yellow prop tips but I always struggle to not have a giant ridge where the masking goes.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 2

Progress was slow this week as very busy with work.  I have the basic camo on now but have had some lifting which will need sorting out.  I'm probably just going to use the kit decals as I don't have the git up and go to do the whole paint all the markings bit.  ( I'm also unsure if I have more problems with lifting paint.)  I do like these colours though and she sure does shine biggrin.png  More detail paint and the some gloss is in order.  Maybe decal tomorrow?

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2012-L.jpg

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2014-L.jpg

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2013-L.jpg

I wish I had not mucked up the camo on the horizontal stabilisers, oh well there is always something....

Thanks for looking in on my little critter.

Dan

• Like 2

Finished, well as much as it ever will be.

Decided to go clean on this one for a change. ( Who me? ) In the end I stuffed up the canopy again, dirt and muck under the hood and some ghosting, sigh.  Plus the masking pulled up the paint, again. :deadhorse: 

I'm being as zen about it as I can but need to work out a technique to improve my canopies.  I've put my thinking cap on and we'll see if I can get better.  Till then here's the little critter ready for the case.

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2021-L.jpg

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2018-L.jpg

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2019-L.jpg

Cute%20Spitfire%20MkIIa%2020-L.jpg

Canopy issues aside he's a pretty little guy and still heaps of fun.   Need to get my cute 109g6 conversion done over the Christmas holidays to finish the set.  

Thanks for looking in and if you have some canopy hints let me know.

Dan

• Like 4

Thanks Simon I'm pleased you like the little critter.  Actually all the kits in this series have rudimentary cockpit details, seats, sticks and usually a choice of instrument panels ( Flat with decal/sticker or one with moulded detail.)  I like to add some sidewall details out of bits of styrene and maybe a resin gun site, sometimes belts or other details to suit.  In this case I spent time to open up the flat panels behind the seat and did some bits back there as well.  The kits have over sized canopies which give a good view inside.  The little details are to open up the exhausts and add screens to the intakes etc.  I pretty much treat them as I would any other kit albeit a cartoon of a real aircraft which allow a certain 'licence'  I hope more folks try these and some of the newer cartoony jets as they are a nice way to be creative and try new techniques without worrying about messing up a expensive kit.

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Thanks 1