Academey 1/48 B25B Doliitle Raid

colin

Does anyone know if you can build a B25C from this kit, I see the clear sprues in the box have the parts for the B/C/D/G on them and was wondering if the difference was just down to the clear parts and armament

Thanks

Hello,

Yes you can but there some differences in the fuselage Windows and the square window on top of the fuselage right behind the canopy. The C model has an astrodome instead of the flat piece of plexiglass. I bought some replacements for the C model off eBay some time ago so got that squared away. The other difference is the additional fuselage port hole on the starboard side, but most except the hard core B-25 fans would know. From what I understand the very earliest C models did not have the fuselage window placed placed just behind the trailing edge of the wing. The other good news is that the engine cowling was not much different from that on the B model, so you don't have to worry about the various "bumps" found on the D and later model Mitchells. There may be some minor differences between the two models but a real B-25 affecianado would probably know. You will have to do a bit of minor surgery and puttying where the astrodome comes in but it is no big deal. Good luck. By the way, decals for RAF B-25 C's are available on eBay if you are interested. And, before I forget, you are going to need to take some sand paper an grind out about an eight of an inch where the cowling opening is, it just takes a couple of minutes and really helps the appearance, otherwise the cowling just looks off.

Cheers

26 minutes ago, colin said:

Thanks SA, I'm not a rivit counter so the mods you say will be good enough for me, and thanks for the ebay tip for the decals

Colin,

Pretty much as Spitfire Addict has stated; from the 'Deadly Duo' by Charles Mendenhall, here are some other features  that differ from the B-25B:

.30cal flexible nose  gun upgraded to a .50cal and an additional fixed .50cal gun added on the RH side of the nose, fired by the pilot

astrodome replaced the flat window on the upper fuselage; the flat side windows at the navigator and radio operator positions were changed to bulged windows at some point in production

individual Clayton 'S' exhaust stacks added at the B-25C-15 block

tail bumper now fixed and covered by a bulged fairing

carburetor intakes were wider on the C/D models compared to the B-25B due to Holley carburetors and dust filters being fitted

Additional scanning windows were fitted to the C and D models, two elongated ones were fitted on the LH side, with the forward one ending under the trailing edge of the wing with another behind it; on the RH side there was an elongated window fitted above and below the wing at the trailing edge, with another larger 'D' shaped window being fitted behind and slightly above the one under the trailing edge of the wing. Some of these could be painted or skinned over, IIRC, so it would be best if you had a photo of the one you want to do. I hope this will help you!

Mike

• Like 1