Don Everall DC-3 at Pendeford

mobydog

I thought I would show you my latest painting, acrylic on canvas, for you to peruse.
I grew up near Pendeford Airfield on the outskirts of Wolverehampton.  Boulton Paul
used this place as their own airfield and every Defiant and Balliol would have taken off from 
here.
During the fifties and sixties Don Everall operated his small airline from Pendeford and
I depict one of their DC-3s taking off toward the end of the fifties. This plane was actually 
written off in 1960 when it crashed on take from Elmdon, Birmingham.
Don Everall were a big travel company in the fifties, sixties and seventies with over 50 travel
agencies, a huge coach fleet and numerous holiday parks around the country. Their small
airline consisted of a couple of DC-3s and some Dragon Rapides.
As far as the picture is concerned, there was a lot of research I had to undertake to 
reconsturct the buildings. A lot of photos exist depicting various bits of the site but it was
quite tricky reconstructing the view in the painting. One of the tools I used was to take many 
stills from the  movie "The Man in the Sky" starring Jack Hawkins.
Sadly the airfield closed in 1974 and now suburban housing sits on the ghosts of it's airstrips.
Happily Guy Everall, the great nephew of Don, who still works in aviation, has agreed to buy
the original painting.
Local press did a feature which can be read here:-
https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/wolverhampton/2017/10/27/painting-of-airfield-brings-old-site-to-life/
Thanks for looking

6ETYI4HMVBFDPILYKXCWBSBCRI_zps0vuibqnh.j

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Very nice and moody painting Andy, it's like seeing back in time to the actual place and day.

I couldn't see the attached Photobucket image, but I folllowed the link.

• 4 weeks later...

Lovely stuff, also featured in the Stourbridge Chronicle this week with some other background info. 

Wobaston Road still has the remnants of the aerospace industry there, and a shame the Boulton Paul Museum is now gone.

Fabulous work! I would love to have that hanging on my wall (Mrs. Gorby probably less so).

If that signature is 'Gould' then we are probably distantly related.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...