This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Scimitar

Aircraft zapped.

Whilst trawling the internet to find out what the zap was on XV579 (see 71chally's thread) I thought that there were so many beauties that I'd start a new thread.

Hope you all add to it!

RAF+Whirlwind+Fly+Navy.jpg

Great idea!

Will have to have a rummage around and see what I have left. Unfortunately most of my pictures, along with a lot of other stuff, was consigned to a rubbish tip by the ex-from-hell Mk. II...:rant:

But I think I still have a photo of a early Flick-knife, (Tornado F-2, for the uninitiated - had the plated-over aircrew ladder housing on the port side), with a RAF Regiment badge sticker and Leeming VASS stencil below the port intake. Done at RAF Leeming in 1985 or 86. Happy days!

Off to the storage room; I may be some time...

Christian, exiled to africa

Oh this brings back memories indeed. I remember helping paint Fly 230 on the underside of a Puma in about 1979/80 on a 33Sqn cab that was in our hangar 230 Sqn overnight just before the families open day for that year. As it flew in a 33Sqn formation the next day it quite clearly displayed the zapping to all when banking around. Sadly Zapping has become a thing of the past mainly for two reasons, the system dislikes such things and the general change of attitude/lack of moral. 

6nnfClk.jpg

This is what you get for landing on the wrong carrier...

54 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

That's a work of art....

If you're referring to the Banshee, my first thought was, 'Would it be able to take off with all the extra weight?'

35 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

If you're referring to the Banshee, my first thought was, 'Would it be able to take off with all the extra weight?'

More like would they find anybody willing to fly it...

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Does this count?!

Understatement of the year!

Here's another

Harrier-12.jpg

Can't find it at the moment, but somewhere in my photo collection I have a shot of one of the RAAF's Draggies. The "rat" in the centre of at least one of the fuselage roundels has been modified to make clear that it's very definitely a boy ...

10 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

RAAF's Draggies.

My mate flew them over here where they were 'budgies'

Zaps caused more problems than problems.. We had the Base Hangar Snoopy that got plastered on anything not BZN.. Come in our hangar yer zapped. The Tank Team Zap caused a RAF/USAF rift. We helped a KC-135 Crew Chief put his plane to bed in Bay 3 Base, got him any air, Nitrogen, O2 etc, ground Equip he needed . Got a guided tour, lay on the boom operators "bed" down the back. promised 2 or 4 crates of Bud or equiv. Then one of our blokes zapped his hand panted KC-135 picture on the crew door. He went nuts, we all did, we didn't want it zapped. Sorry wasn't making it.. Neither was the beer !

Base Snoopy made it to the Camera van front door  for Central TV, Chris Tarrant and all. They  were coming live from Brize every night for a week, 1977 ish. Then it went to any kite from anywhere that was anywhere near Brize, India, Iraq, Iran..Boll****ngs issued ,end of story !

Edited by bzn20

13 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Transparency0045.jpg

Courtesy - RAF

20 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Understatement of the year!

Here's another

Harrier-12.jpg

Payback - FAF!

In 1971, when HMS Eagle visited Wellington, one of 899 NAS Sea Vixens had picked up a small Kiwi zap on the Gauntlet on the tail. In pre digicam days, I managed to stuff up using my Mum's camera so all the photos I took were hugely under exposed, pity, I'd have liked a photo of that, even better to know which one it was to model it. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

In 1971, when HMS Eagle visited Wellington, one of 899 NAS Sea Vixens had picked up a small Kiwi zap on the Gauntlet on the tail. In pre digicam days, I managed to stuff up using my Mum's camera so all the photos I took were hugely under exposed, pity, I'd have liked a photo of that, even better to know which one it was to model it. :)

Steve.

Steve, if you still have the negs there may be hope. I'm told by my sister (who's a professional photographer, so should know) that it may be possible to extract enough information to get usable pictures from them. No promises, but may be worth a try.

They were slides that I took & I've had them looked at, a couple have showed up some detail, mainly white lettering but the Sea Vixen tail shows very little & no aircraft identification. I didn't have my modellers hat on that day, too busy being a 16 year old in love with life at the opportunity to walk some hallowed decks. :)

Steve.