Willys M38A1 1/35th Scale + Diorama

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I have posted, but today I would like to share with you all my latest project.  

My driving force behind this project is a Christmas present for my Father.  My father owns a real M38A1 jeep and I wanted to present him with a Scale model of the real thing as he is unable to build kits himself due to lack of time and failing eyesight.

Anyway without further delay, here is what I will be building:

IMG_3164.jpg

So I started plodding away with the build, it's very tricky due to the size of parts, but I was very impressed with the snug fit of everything and the level of detail to the kit itself. 

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

There is very little to say about the build itself as I am building it straight out of the box with no extras added to the jeep unless I add a few Scratch Built items to give it some more interest down the line.  The kit took me around 5 hours to assemble and then it was time to start the painting.

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

Just for a little comparison, this is the jeep against the Tamiya Panther 1/35 scale:

IMG_3179.jpg

Painting:

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg

Again at the moment, I have not done any dirt washes or added any mud. The only thing I have done is a bit of work in the engine bay, with some oil splats and fuel spills to make it look like it's been through it all. I will be adding further wethering once I have the diorama setup, I have a lot of work to do and a short time to do it in.  

So now it was onto my first ever diorama build, I had no real idea where to start but after visiting my local hobby shop and HobbyCraft ... I found some products to get me heading in the right direction.

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

For the sandbags I made them using the Milliput, it was easy to work and I think they came out rather good! 

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

At this stage, I decided I wanted to setup some kind of Field Station for refueling and supplies ... however looking around at the tents available in 1/35th scale ... I was far from impressed and decided to try to make my own, this is still very much a WIP but I feel like it has the potential to look good once finished.  The tent is formed from cardboard then I have set about with some trusty PVA and Kitchen Roll.  I am not worried about everything been perfectly in scale, it's just a little fun and a learning curve for more serious dioramas I have planned.

IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

Next was onto painting the now dry modelling clay with some kind of base colour, after a few coats I would then apply spray glue and start adding the pigments that create the field look:

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

This is as far as I got last night, I am waiting on the delivery of a few ferns and still have some bushes and twigs to add but the spray glue was taking a long time to set. 

Hopefully, I will have more to share with you all later this evening.

I do hope you like it and I would love to hear feedback from you all.

Chris :)

• Like 4

Got a little more work done this evening, painted the sandbags and did some weathering on them and started to add mud to the jeep and to the field also, here is my progress:

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

this is as far as I have got, hopefully tomorrow I will get a delivery I have been waiting for and be able to make more progress :) 

Regards

Chris