Best way to a straight winged 1/48 Hunter

tarlucan

I've not seen either but assuming you're starting with the Academy kit or one of its re-releases by Italeri or Revell then you'll need to do the following to correct the basic kit:

Replacement cockpit, the kits is too shallow and the seat is closer to 1/72nd.

The mainwheels are too small in diameter.

The tailplane bullet is too long and the tailplanes themselves require repositioning.

As for the F.5 itself, apart from the straight wings and the small-bore exhaust, the belly has a different arrangement for the intakes which is also common to the other Sapphire engined version the F.2.  Does either conversion provide this and correct the other inadequacies of the kit?

Edited by Wez
Speelung!!

There's an SBS set which addresses the cockpit and wheels. The taiplane and bullet seem fixable.

The Wolfpack conversion only appears to alter the leading edge and wing tips, whereas the Heritage set provides completely new wings. That may fix the intake issue you mention or is it an auxillary intake for the engine?

I understood that the kit tailpipe isn't bad for the earlier engined variants.

The intakes I'm talking about are the auxiliary intakes on the belly NOT the engine air intakes in the wing.  The kit tailpipe isn't right for the Sapphire/early Avon types.

You're right, the tailplane is fixable.

2 hours ago, tarlucan said:

Aeroclub did make some replacement tailpipes but they seem pretty rare.

The Mk.1-5 tail ones are a distinctive feature, the Aeroclub ones would be worth the effort getting.

3 hours ago, Wez said:

The intakes I'm talking about are the auxiliary intakes on the belly NOT the engine air intakes in the wing.  The kit tailpipe isn't right for the Sapphire/early Avon types.

You're right, the tailplane is fixable.

The Tailpipe was common to all variants. The tail fairing  differed on different marks!

Selwyn

I did a model of the F3 years ago. The wing mod was made by gluing some sprue inside the outer wing panel in line with the inner leading edge. I then cut off the extension and joined the wing halves. A bit of shaping and sanding needed to the sprue and them a smear of Milliput at the end. Job done.

I had to rebuild the exhaust as well but the mk3 was different to the others.

The comment about the tail and cockpit above is also true but easily fixed.

For more details and pictures look up "hunter Colin' on ARC.

Cheers

Colin