Tornado in Snow Camouflage

AnthonyWan

Good day all, 

I'm on the hunt for some rare photos... I've only ever seen one photo of a Tornado in Snow Camouflage. 

Does anyone have a lead on where I can find more? What units painted it, etc? 

Please let me know! 

-Anthony 

I was sure I'd read about this recently - I know it was a short-lived scheme applied to some of the Tornados training up in Scandinavia, but damned if I can find the reference. What I have found, however, is an old thread which might be useful:

It's a cool scheme. I hope you find what you're looking for. :) 

I have found 3 pictures of Tornado GR1As in winter camo schemes. They are in either "Tornado Multi-role combat aircraft" by Jon Lake and Mike Crutch and the Crowood book on the Tornado by Andy Evans. All the aircraft are part of the Marham wing with 2 being from No 2 (AC) Sqn, one being ZG592 coded "C" and the other I cannot see the reg but is coded "W". The other aircraft is from No13 Sqn and is ZG729 coded "M". Hope this is of some help.

I was with 13 Sqn on deployment of their recce jets to Evenes, Norway, in the winter of 1992.  A number of the jets wore white distemper over the grey of the standard camouflage.  I have some pics if they'd be of interest.

• Like 1

Many times the Harriers, Jaguars and Tornados had temporary "winter scheme" when on deployment for NATO excersises in Norway. Sometime the unit markings were possible to ready, sometimes not. 

Love the scheme and found quite a few when googling - have you tried this? 

Edited by Boman