Hawker Typhoon main tyre diameter.

TBC

Would someone know what the actual diameter is for the Hawker Typhoon main tyre? The 1/48 Hasegawa kit part is 18mm, Jaguar (pre-BarracudaCast) is 18.5mm and the Ultracast ones are 17mm. That's a spread of nearly 3 scale inches.

That might depend on when the items were measured. I have it on good authority (by the bloke wot did it) that at present, the Typhoon presently on loan to Canada, is sporting the wheels off the Tempest, and vice versa. When it comes home they will be swapped back. It was done because of corrosion in the Typhoon wheels, and restrictions on rectifying the problem prior to shipment.* The upshot being, the wheels have different sized hubs.

* new old stock wheels were available, but to remove the (new) tyres from the old hubs would result in the destruction of the hubs, which have 'historical value'.

9 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

according to http://www.triplanebuilder.com/uploads/specs/Compendium_of_A.C._Tire_Applications__1_.pdf it's 33.8 inches but that equates to about a shade under 12mm.....errrr think i've done my sums wrong.....

A tad off but still helpful nevertheless. The chart gives the average diameter as 33.8" which converts to approximately 17.88mm in 1/48.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TBC said:

A tad off but still helpful nevertheless. The chart gives the average diameter as 33.8" which converts to approximately 17.88mm in 1/48.

Sorry - for some reason i read 1/48 as 1/72....d'oh!

if it's any help i just measured the tyres from the airfix 1/24 and they are a smidge over 36mm...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ossington said:

According to AP1804A, main wheel tyres are 11.00x12 and the tail is 5.5x4.

To get the diameter of the wheel you need to understand the old way of measuring tyres

The 11.00  is the tyre width. The 12 is the diameter of the metal wheel. Without a quoted percentage the sidewall of the tyre  = the width

So in this case the diameter is 11 + 12 + 11 - approx 1 inch  [the amount the sidewall sits into the wheel] = 33 inch approx

• Like 1