"Are 'Friends' Electric?" The English Electric Lightning F.1 by Airfix 1/48

This ole beauty , XR753, is in a hanger at Tangmere.

Didn't take many pictures as it was the T33 Shooting Star I was after.

But I'll put up the useful ones I got if you like.

Tail end only, as hanger access denied. No denying she's an Impressive beast!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

SSay Whaaa...?!

Oh I see -  like Pen marks...

I think so. Finishing just after the vertical frame line that drops down from the air brake arm cutouts, is what I'm seeing.

Yes, that’s what I thought. I’ll cut a bit off and that should make it hunky dory. Thanks for your help Rob. :penguin:

John

• Like 1

How about this?

Does this help?

Brunty a couple of years ago (or so)

P1080753.jpg

P1080752.jpg

Oh and this one of the silver panel under the wings 'cos you are doing the painted version

P1080755.jpg

I am sorry I only got a couple more of the Lightning but I can PM them to you if you want

I got lots of the Scout (wonder why?) and Sea King Junglie and a few Buccnneer  (Also wonder why)...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, perdu said:

How about this?

Does this help?

Brunty a couple of years ago (or so)

P1080753.jpg

P1080752.jpg

Oh and this one of the silver panel under the wings 'cos you are doing the painted version

P1080755.jpg

I am sorry I only got a couple more of the Lightning but I can PM them to you if you want

I got lots of the Scout (wonder why?) and Sea King Junglie and a few Buccnneer  (Also wonder why)...

Thanks. I think that nails it for me. I’ve just gone and taken the pips off and given it a dry fit.

38107551785_e67f952380_b.jpg

looks about spot on. Thanks for the offer of the other shots but these will be great. It doesn’t mention anything about a silver panel though. Is that a thing?

ok, I just went and had a look at the photo I posted. It’s a thing. :christmas: is it on both sides do you know?

Johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

The silver panel seems to be underneath all camouflaged Lightnings, you can see it all in the last shot of XS904

I thought you said you were doing a painted one

anyway they all show lots of vents and slots you don't usually see in pictures of the beast

:)

• Thanks 1

Just before I started faffing with cable ducts these things happened.

24119943827_e68d805fe2_b.jpg

I masked the cans so I could add some Chrome. Aaaand PING!

38947840772_c39fe7e396_b.jpg

Then gave everything a top coat of Vallejo for metalics.

38947840622_bba5bc0c44_b.jpg

soooo shiny.

27207443779_bd08ce9e55_b.jpg

Takes a while to dry so that is why I moved onto wings and things. 

38957814312_fd06250af4_b.jpg

the flaps got glued, these were wrongly numbered in the instructions too. What’s with this part of the kit? The wells look like they might have had an upgrade since the 90s but not much. I need to make this.

27217130729_107955f4a2_b.jpg

look a bit more like this.

24129987517_75e861714e_b.jpg

First I think I’ll tackle the rivety bits with some quiche foil. :wicked: first draw the shape with ze pencil.

38994088281_e4d4a03bc0_b.jpg

then masking tape to make a mask.

25123090428_ece93a4aff_b.jpg

Then peel off and cut slightly proud before adding to flat quiche base.

38957814432_b85698fcc0_b.jpg

I took the kids to the park at this point so you’ll have to wait until tomorrow. Another closed school day so we might be in luck. :penguin:see y’all tomorrow.

thanks for dropping by and special thanks to @perdu and @rob Lyttle for the super handy photo ref.

Johnny part time.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, perdu said:

The silver panel seems to be underneath all camouflaged Lightnings, you can see it all in the last shot of XS904

I thought you said you were doing a painted one

anyway they all show lots of vents and slots you don't usually see in pictures of the beast

:)

I am indeed doing the camo one. I’ll add the panel now. Thanks for the heads up.

I had a bit of a look through, and really, the only pics of use here are these 

IMG_20170801_140121

Really blunt t.e. to the ailerons - flat perpendicular about an inch wide or more. Don't know what airfix gives you.

IMG_20170801_140000

IMG_20170801_140211

You'd want a bit of foil tape there, I reckon....!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the sticky tape and wells. I'm currently faffing about with a BAe Hawk in 1/32. The tail section should be covered with a festival of rivets, and the kit fuse is smooth as a baby's....

Let's see whacha got, Johnny' Rivets!😃

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

so you’ll have to wait until tomorrow

:Tasty:  :popcorn:  I'm very curious to see what you're pulling with this "quiche method" :wink:  :D 

Ciao

13 hours ago, giemme said:

:Tasty:  :popcorn:  I'm very curious to see what you're pulling with this "quiche method" :wink:  :D 

Ciao

So am I . Fingers crossed it all works in zen end.

3 hours ago, propforward said:

That is looking great - nice work on all the mods! Looks like you have the ducts well sorted.

Thanks, I couldn’t and wouldn’t have done it without your help. :christmas:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

a Lightning in your garage

Just as an aside, I've got a vague recollection of somebody - like Jeremy Clarkson or one of his pals (?)- picking up a Lightning at an MOD auction for something like £5000. Transportation was the buyer's responsibility!

Ring any bells?

I did read a great account of a ground crew fitter doing an engine Test who"hit the wrong lever" when She was going full tilt.

Ran out of options VERY quickly and had to pull up elevator.

He got her back down again OK with some radio advice.

Some day at the office!😂

• Haha 1

Good evening you lot. The snows beginning to melt, the kids school is open tomorrow so the extra plastic bonanza must end. Booooooooooo! But before that we have today’s endeavours. Yayyyyyyyyy. :yahoo:

First up we has the cut out shapes. 

39012810891_7a9eeb2b24_b.jpg

Next up I used my ruler and my trumpeter riveter.

38295240334_f4b8b878d9_b.jpg

looks alreeet. Maybe not 100% but good enough for me. :lol:

here’s a quick shot of the first one in place. 

38126352435_0b01aacc26_b.jpg

not bad. :lol: I’ll build up the kit bits next and see what needs adding. I need to make another one and glue em in. 

I gave the innards a going over with some Flory black and a hairy stick as the gloss had dried.

38295240874_ef2a20af38_b.jpg

I used a brush as I wanted some direction marks. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it. ;) while that dried I still wasn’t happy with the pit so I decided to do something new and use some Tamiya pin wash stuff I bought ages ago but never used. I wanted to darken and sharpen up the crease lines. I think I’m more happy now.

25140888338_73035d5f85_b.jpg

By this time and after a total of two!! Power cuts the Flory has dried and I began to assemble the bits ‘n’ bobs.

38295239924_0ef404bae4_b.jpg

some sweet cans. The colour looked ok.

here’s an inside shot.

39011160081_577e9bb930_b.jpg

I masked up the radar thing, it is a radar thing isn’t it? 

38295238884_8abd83f8c1_b.jpg

in anticipation of greeeeeen.

38295240194_b1c18b035b_b.jpg

a nice bit o’ olive drab with a white and thinner version for fading toward the tip.

Then masking off and a grey thumb.

38295240614_89dc9b3a95_b.jpg

I do like those Vallejo metal paints. I don’t however like the fact I look like I have Dragon scale. (Eh GOT fans) :lalala:

I did a bit of a dry fit but.

25140887418_fcac228839_b.jpg

I realised that I need to paint some of the inside bits black. I did that and while waiting for it to dry glued this.

38977198662_d43c163da6_b.jpg

once again the shiny is proper bostin’ B)

Next up is to put the fuselage together then continue with the wings.

here are both wings with Rivety bits glued in place.

25140886068_5440b4af90_b.jpg

and this is where I left her for the night. Black bits done and ready for some glue.

38975459252_a95ac221a0_b.jpg

oi! Stop laughing at my expensive spay booth. :penguin:

Thank you dear wonderer for happening  upon my plastic, paint, tin foil and glue escapade. Hopefully you have had a little fun? Or experience? What am I talking about? Aahhh it’s the wine. That’s it I love ze wine and ze banter. More soon, not quite as soon as of late but soon enough.

fair winds dear friends.

Johnny wine.

• Like 9

Lovely work, Johnny. I like the riveted foil especially.

24 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I did read a great account of a ground crew fitter doing an engine Test who"hit the wrong lever" when She was going full tilt.

Taff Holden in XM135 by the sound of it - the first production F.1, and preserved at Duxford:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/survivor.php?id=30

As I've heard it, there was no canopy, no seat, no helmet (and so no radio). Truly Frightening!

• Like 2

So the quiche foil is backed up with Tamiya tape, right?

Outstanding, and quite some progress! :worthy::clap: Shall we call it "snowgress"? OK, OK, I'll get my coat :coat:

Ciao

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Lovely work, Johnny. I like the riveted foil especially.

Taff Holden in XM135 by the sound of it - the first production F.1, and preserved at Duxford:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/survivor.php?id=30

As I've heard it, there was no canopy, no seat, no helmet (and so no radio). Truly Frightening!

Thanks and what a great story to boot. Poor Taff. I must visit Duxford, maybe make another lighting in honour. 

32 minutes ago, giemme said:

So the quiche foil is backed up with Tamiya tape, right?

Outstanding, and quite some progress! :worthy::clap: Shall we call it "snowgress"? OK, OK, I'll get my coat :coat:

Ciao

No G the tape got removed, it was mearly a mask for shape. Oh and thanks! :christmas:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Great stuff Johnny - what spray booth? Whatever, the finish you're getting looks good to me.

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Jeremy Clarkson or one of his pals (?)- picking up a Lightning at an MOD auction

It was Clarkson. I love the bit at the end with his wife - "You knew what I was like when you married me..."

• Like 5