"Are 'Friends' Electric?" The English Electric Lightning F.1 by Airfix 1/48

1 minute ago, Christer A said:

Hot diggity! You work both fast and properly too!

Tamiya XF-81 and 82 are for Spitfires in Dark green  and Ocean Grey though. Lightnings are painted in Dark Green and Dark Sea grey. I guess you could use the Dark Green but you need something else for the Dark Sea Grey

Ahh cool thanks. I have dark sea grey but couldn’t find a replacement for Humbrol dark green. So you think the Tamiya RAF green will be ok?

7 hours ago, Christer A said:

Tamiya XF-81 Dark green touchy thing...

have a look here (post 34)

I'd probably use Gunze H330 instead...

Bloody hell:huh: its only green right? :rambo: I don’t have gunze paints and I’ve gone and bought the xf81, 82 and 83 now I’m sure I’ll nail it. If not I’ll blame it on the boogie. Thanks for your help Christer.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

As long as she looks a bit like this.

27969556909_8a486a03a6_b.jpg39748670421_6557f923ae_b.jpg25876905348_fd93c1e8c2_b.jpg

I think I’ll be happy.

39716913572_be344118e0_b.jpg

the bottom green and the grey just up from it look about right to me (the lighter one). The colours will have variation as I’ll add some lights and darks here and there so one of them should hit the sweet spot.:christmas:

wish me luck. 

:elephant: Johnny airbrush

• Like 9

She should be fine with those two

Do you see that reflective shiny natural metal panel under the wings? It shouldnt look like painted HSSilver

I mixed my own RAF Dark Green with a cocktail for my Jaguars but that looks right as it is to me

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, perdu said:

Do you see that reflective shiny natural metal panel under the wings? It shouldnt look like painted HSSilver

I'd always thought camo'd Frightnings bottoms remained NMF overall Bill?

Keith

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That night before last I was trying to salvage my two old airbrushes that came with my compressor. I tightened the end of one and POP! The tread snapped off inside the tip,

I managed to do that to the nozzle in my Iwata HP just before Christmas. £34 for a replacement? Don't think so....!!

Keith

• Sad 3

Just caught up with this, and I have to say I'm blown away. Your seat, especially the harness, is magnificent, and the modulation on the green is also fantastic.

Just a side note/question concerning the weight you added. It looks like a heck of a lot is needed to stop this sitting on its tail. Did the instructions call for 20gr or 20g? The reason I ask is that I got caught out recently trying to find enough weight, and places to put in the Hawk I built. I too late found out that gr is grains which is a lot lighter than grams (which I'd assumed it meant), and I wonder if you have done the same? 20gr = 1.3g

Nevertheless, I'm now pulling up a seat to watch the conclusion of this excellent build, and I thank you for your time sharing it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'd always thought camo'd Frightnings bottoms remained NMF overall Bill?

Keith

Until the topsides dark grey bottom sides dark camouflage grey ones they did as far as I remember but  I was specifically trying to remind Johnno that it shouldnt be 'just' painted silver Keith

re: the snapped off tip, have you tried removing it by sticking a 'three square' needle file into the hole to act as  a screwdriver then turning it anticlockywise with pliers?

The thread is usually finely enough machined to allow loosening like that

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Until the topsides dark grey bottom sides dark camouflage grey ones they did as far as I remember but  I was specifically trying to remind Johnno that it shouldnt be 'just' painted silver Keith

Ah right, gotcha Bill, communications breakdown...!

14 hours ago, perdu said:

re: the snapped off tip, have you tried removing it

Actually got it out no problem, but I'm not paying what they want for a replacement as for £20 more I can get another H&S Ultra - for which the nozzles cost about £14 & fit almost all their airbrushes. £14 is also the price of a replacement for the Iwata Neo nozzles which look exactly the same as the expensive ones. Unfortunately I can't try it out to see, as I did the same thing to that nozzle last summer!! :banghead:. Clumsy? Me...?! :D

Sorry for the thread drift Johnny, back to your fine Frightning!!

Keith

Edited for missing word!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

for £20 I can get another H&S Ultra

Damn, that's good pricing, Keith. May I ask from where you source that, as I've been looking at picking up one of the 2-in-1 Ultras? (Or, and this seems more likely, are you saying £20 more than the replacement Iwata nozzle?)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Damn, that's good pricing, Keith. May I ask from where you source that, as I've been looking at picking up one of the 2-in-1 Ultras? (Or, and this seems more likely, are you saying £20 more than the replacement Iwata nozzle?)

My apologies, I did indeed leave out the all important 'more' after the £20....sorry :blush:

I did get a 2 in 1 Ultra from Little Cars at Telford, and like it so much I will get another rather than buy spares for my Iwatas.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I like Tamiya XF-81, it's certainly good enough for me and I used it everything from a Swift to a Vulcan!

yes it does look good to me too.

18 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Are you Carr-AZZY?!?

it's possible.:penguin:

17 hours ago, giemme said:

Good luck, Johnny airbrush! :D

Ciao

Thanks G. :christmas:

16 hours ago, perdu said:

She should be fine with those two

I mixed my own RAF Dark Green with a cocktail for my Jaguars but that looks right as it is to me

Thanks. I'might have to go back and re-visit the panel.   I'll have a look when the masking comes off, it is quite shiny already.^_^

15 hours ago, James B said:

Just caught up with this, and I have to say I'm blown away. Your seat, especially the harness, is magnificent, and the modulation on the green is also fantastic.

Just a side note/question concerning the weight you added. It looks like a heck of a lot is needed to stop this sitting on its tail. Did the instructions call for 20gr or 20g? The reason I ask is that I got caught out recently trying to find enough weight, and places to put in the Hawk I built. I too late found out that gr is grains which is a lot lighter than grams (which I'd assumed it meant), and I wonder if you have done the same? 20gr = 1.3g

Nevertheless, I'm now pulling up a seat to watch the conclusion of this excellent build, and I thank you for your time sharing it.

Thanks!.:lol: Concerning the weight question, it was "20g" I added more than that due to the tail sitting problems I had with my Catalina in a recent group build.  The lead shot worked a treat though. :D

13 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

STgmFhb.jpg

Me is scared, some... :undecided:

You should be. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Four days it’s been, aching joints, snot and sore throat. Today I eventually succumbed to the terror of the “Lurgy” :sick: Mrs Spadgent insisted I stay home from work in the warm and do nothing. Well I began doing that, then got bored and crept to the Grotto for some light action, nothing too strenuous you understand.

now the colours had been decided upon I planned on hand painting the first grey and masking for the green. I marked out lightly with a silver pencil the camo lines and then got to work.

25908628698_d9a3066fce_b.jpg

note to self and anyone else planning on doing this. If your going to free hand in grey first, prime in white.:rage:

25908599898_6f80419c52_b.jpg

as you can see it’s a bit difficult to see. Especially if you’re sneezing a lot “Achoo!”

Now I’ve done a few different methods of camo masking since returning to Modelling  but I have never tried blu tac. Well here goes.

25908628988_397fd3c2f3_b.jpg

it’s more difficult than it looks as the tac sticks to my fingers, cocktail stick, tweesers, anything really rather than the blasted lighting. After much fiddling I have some bits done. The middle bit is fiddly too, less fiddly, but fiddly.:blink:

eventually we are masked up baby.

24911034257_42069be1b9_b.jpg39780965211_471ab5f681_b.jpg

i hope it’s going to be worth the effort. :giles: in honour of my runny nose:crying:I shall paint this jet bogey green.

24911060767_cd4eb7917e_b.jpg

Zap!

39749343012_b21b9c628a_b.jpg

POW!  I’m digging the pre-shade under there. I let that dry for a bit and made some soup. Nothing like soup when you have a cold eh.

*munch, slurp. Achoo!

Right back upstairs for some unmasking. Fingers crossed.

25908628628_593e7ee80c_b.jpg

:yahoo: you know what? I’m going to do that method again. Really happy with the look, proper 80s just what I needed.

39070982894_ac85f49204_b.jpg39780932831_061cc8a85d_b.jpg

even without weathering she’s looking good to my eyes. Runny weak eyes.:who-let-rip:

next up was to mask the anti glare and canopy ready for a gloss coat.

28002408689_9d740de465_b.jpg

So I did it while I was in mid delirium.

and made a @CedBtm over spray mask. I tempted fete by writing some funny words in an attempt to anti sods law sods law.

38882094295_f95664c787_b.jpg

and went at it with some black!

25908599458_b286ed2a7c_b.jpg

left it to dry for a bit and ZING!

28002410069_39eddba91f_b.jpg

that’s it I think I’m lucked out. No over spray.:yahoo:time for drying and I’ll gloss in a bit. I had a bath and built a fire, went back to the grotto and glossed. She is left in a dangerous looking state on the end of an old paint brush, hanging out of a tin, held up by some grit in a box. What could possibly go wrong? 

28002430909_0ff78dcd76_b.jpg

I have now lit the fire and am sitting down writing this. I’ll pop another coat on before bed. I think that’s it for today. 

Thanks for dropping by to see the madness. I’ll put the kettle on and we can have a brew.  Take care dear chums and as always. Happy Modelling. Achoo! 

:lol:

• Like 12

Sorry to hear of the illness Johnny but not in the least sorry that it lead to a fab painting campaign. Get yourself a hot whisky and tuck yourself in knowing a golden day's work was done.

Hope you feel better after a night's sleep. 

• Thanks 1

Much sympathy and empathy to you, dude.... I got it too. Been off since Tuesday, but I got to make an effort tomorrow. Not really sure how much glue I've produced and blown out of my face m I'd estimate it to be Loads!

Bit of a Parallel universe thing going on with paint brushes up the tailpipe, too!

IMG_20180119_213116

I caught a glimpse of the trailing edge of your ailerons, there, and I'm a bit concerned.

Because of this .....

IMG_20170801_140121

But I'm no expert on Lightnings. There could be different types and different wing specs etc.

The only thing I know is that the old bird down at Tangmere has flat faced blunt TEs something like an inch or more deep.

Note, this could be a complete red herring and not applicable to your airframe at all.

Just wanted to raise it before you got further.👍

• Like 1

Gotta love blue tack masking, Johnny :clap::thumbsup:

I always keep "used" blue tack for that kind of job, because it doesn't leave any residuals at all (it may happen on some kind of paints)

Ciao

• Thanks 1

It was worth the effort for that splendid result. Rob is correct about the aileron trailing edges being blunt, I remember being shown one at a summer camp when I was an ATC instructor and commenting on it.

Hope the Lurgi is subsiding.

John

Edited by Biggles87

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Sorry to hear of the illness Johnny but not in the least sorry that it lead to a fab painting campaign. Get yourself a hot whisky and tuck yourself in knowing a golden day's work was done.

Hope you feel better after a night's sleep. 

Thanks El barony. Still feel like a bag o’ spaners unfortunately, might mean more lightning though. :blink:

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Gotta love blue tack masking, Johnny :clap::thumbsup:

I always keep "used" blue tack for that kind of job, because it doesn't leave any residuals at all (it may happen on some kind of paints)

Ciao

Ooh thanks for the tip. 

10 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Much sympathy and empathy to you, dude.... I got it too. Been off since Tuesday, but I got to make an effort tomorrow. Not really sure how much glue I've produced and blown out of my face m I'd estimate it to be Loads!

Bit of a Parallel universe thing going on with paint brushes up the tailpipe, too!

IMG_20180119_213116

I caught a glimpse of the trailing edge of your ailerons, there, and I'm a bit concerned.

Because of this .....

IMG_20170801_140121

But I'm no expert on Lightnings. There could be different types and different wing specs etc.

The only thing I know is that the old bird down at Tangmere has flat faced blunt TEs something like an inch or more deep.

Note, this could be a complete red herring and not applicable to your airframe at all.

Just wanted to raise it before you got further.👍

Sorry to hear about your lurgy, hope it clears up faster than mine. Spooky about the paint brush parallel universe. :lol: as for the TE, I must admit I totally forgot you told me about that earlier in the thread :doh:. It looks like they are blunt. I did find this however.

28009234479_10af4fe4f0_b.jpg

That looks less blunt.  :lalala: I’ll be darned if I’m sanding it back now so it is what it is. :whistle: thanks for the pic though, next time eh.

9 hours ago, Calum said:

Camo looks great

Why thank you.

35 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Looks great,Johnny. I particularly like the anti-glare masking technique.

Yes I might use that again.

13 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

It was worth the effort for that splendid result. Rob is correct about the aileron trailing edges being blunt, I remember being shown one at a summer camp when I was an ATC instructor and commenting on it.

Hope the Lurgi is subsiding.

John

Thanks. Yes I’m going to have to leave them now, they are pining for decals, I can’t start sanding now. Can I?*

*the answer is no. :tease:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2