"Are 'Friends' Electric?" The English Electric Lightning F.1 by Airfix 1/48

49 minutes ago, CedB said:

Great stuff Johnny - what spray booth? Whatever, the finish you're getting looks good to me.

It was Clarkson. I love the bit at the end with his wife - "You knew what I was like when you married me..."

Exactly! :lol: love the Clarkson bit. It was never 5000 to buy it?  Bargain. 

• Like 2

Thanks to the power of 2 for the info , fellas!

I sometimes think" Did I just imagine that?"!

Nice to know I'm not off the rails!

Johnny, your flair for paint work is 1st class. You make it look so darn easy!

(Should add, no WIP on the Hawk at the moment . It'll be a rattle can paint job whether black or scarlet, in the shed, so major postponement looming till Spring)

• Thanks 1

Spad & Company....

Inspired by the wheel well rivets, I just had a slow motion Eureka moment/  hour or so 

My little craft saw can give straight lines across the back of kitchen foil. AND because of the Set of the teeth, it gives me a perfectly modulated double row of rivets,

IMG_20171213_234655

IMG_20171213_234523

So sorry to be all over your thread, Johnny', but I just had to TELL SOMEONE...!

You guys 'll understand the importance of this. They may even name the technique after me..!😃

IMG_20171213_234603

• Like 7

No i can't afford fancy riveting tools so i make do with my saw blades. If you pinch the blade between thumb and forefinger and place it on one side of a curve. Then start to move it slowly with even pressure. It will rotate following the curve and give you straight lines on round areas. Its hard to explain but if you practice it over time it gets easy to do. 

Dennis

• Like 4

On 13/12/2017 at 6:18 AM, Bigdave22014 said:

Nice greenery (and no scaley thumb in sight...)

Is the tip of the green pointy bit not meant to be shiny metal?

Thanks. Yup the pointy bit is green on this one. :lol:

13 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'm all tooled up for trying a few rivets!

IMG_20171213_161848

Gotta start somewhere😐

Looks like a winner, and you won’t have to cut it the cover in half like I did on my Trumpeter one. 

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Spad & Company....

Inspired by the wheel well rivets, I just had a slow motion Eureka moment/  hour or so 

My little craft saw can give straight lines across the back of kitchen foil. AND because of the Set of the teeth, it gives me a perfectly modulated double row of rivets,

IMG_20171213_234655

IMG_20171213_234523

So sorry to be all over your thread, Johnny', but I just had to TELL SOMEONE...!

You guys 'll understand the importance of this. They may even name the technique after me..!😃

IMG_20171213_234603

Nice one Rob. Looks like a winner. I’ll pop that idea in the old mind stash fer laterz.:lol:

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No i can't afford fancy riveting tools so i make do with my saw blades. If you pinch the blade between thumb and forefinger and place it on one side of a curve. Then start to move it slowly with even pressure. It will rotate following the curve and give you straight lines on round areas. Its hard to explain but if you practice it over time it gets easy to do. 

Dennis

Great technique Dennis. I’ll pop that one in the bank too. To be fair my Trumperer rivet thing was only about six or seven pounds. Black and yellow and you get four heads for different scales. As mentioned above you have to chop the cover down a bit to see what you’re doing but after that it’s great. :christmas:

Thanks for your help guys. 

• Like 5

Looks great so far, I have always been interested in the lightening but never built one, I shall have to add it to my list, I love your idea of the foil for the wheel wells as a ‘homemade photoetch’ think I may steal your idea to use on my Tonka. 

Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Decided to put up a bit of a build log on the Hawk, you know - flaps, rivets, trials and tribulations ... major breakthroughs etc.

Get out of your hair with the Lightning!

Oooh lovely, but you’re not in my hair Rob. It’s a joy to have you along.

Johnny

• Like 1

Thanks for all the interest guys. :yahoo:

As predicted Christmas is coming fast and time for plastic on the run up is running low. I did manage to get some bits done over the past few days but its all about the hurdles.

yPbZCLd.jpg

First off the intake bit and

QttAp4q.jpg

the cans got added.

I added some re-enforcement using old sprews and gorilla glue to both parts as the locating pins were a bit flimsy.

the extra weight was then added around where pointed out in the instructions using lead shot. (about 15g to be sure)

9Rz2NrE.jpg

dgPfAjj.jpg

all was going well until i did a dry fit of the other fuselage half.

A9648sP.jpg

firstly the lines were all off on the top and the bottom and there were problems with in the bit that goes behind the seat joining it to the fuselage, It didn't fit and at the sides are pretty big gaps . I filed down the rear section to fit and squeezed and squeezed to try and get it to fit until POP.:huh:

ir8H2NU.jpg

The seat popped out and a dirty big bit of paint get transferred to mt thumb. grrrrr:angry: It looks as though I'm going to have to make some sims and paint that part again. I also needed to cut all locating pins off the main fuselage to get the whole thing to sit straight.

3ptgjMx.jpg

I squeezed the cockpit area together, pegged the blighter and left out the seat until later. That needs to dry.:blush:

I did some work on the wheels next, but the pics aren't coming through this end and dinner time has just ended so I'll post up about that stuff later.

Thanks for popping in guys. If the pics aren't there I'll try and fix that up later too.

All the best and happy modelling.

Johnny thumbs

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 8

Pics are not showing up, Johnny, and it's very likely a Flickr issue. I used the system described by this guy here:

and it worked properly, just a bit more of a hassle compared to what I normally do. I just hope Flickr gets things back to normal ASAP.

Having said that, I watched your pics following the links; frustrating, but I'm sure you'll overcome all troubles and deliver the usual masterpiece :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It all looks incredible, sad its not fitting right. I used AM for the Pit and Bangseat so I didnt have those issues. I just had to sand the pit paper thin.  

Thanks! I figured it would fit ok being the kit part and all. ;)

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Pics are not showing up, Johnny, and it's very likely a Flickr issue. I used the system described by this guy here:

and it worked properly, just a bit more of a hassle compared to what I normally do. I just hope Flickr gets things back to normal ASAP.

Having said that, I watched your pics following the links; frustrating, but I'm sure you'll overcome all troubles and deliver the usual masterpiece :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks G. I’ve had this happen before. It’s still not working tonight. I’ll leave it be and see if it gets sorted tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Great work Johnny. Those wheel well innards look superb, fantastic effect. Oh get some moisturiser for them dragon scales.

Thanks Tom. The wells are coming on for sure but I’ll wait till the Flickr gets fixed to post, I can’t be doing with all that Crazy right now.

Jont

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

. I’ve had this happen before. It’s still not working tonight. I’ll leave it be and see if it gets sorted tomorrow.

Hope you're right about this, Johnny'.

Everybody is a bit on edge at the moment, after the last P-bucket fiasco.

Calm and Sensible, that's what I needed to see...!

Johnny serene... 😇

• Like 1

Nice work there!

It's probably too late now to call out the very "interesting" fit of the nose wheel well?

Basically, half of the well is in the intake cont assembly, and there the well is oval.

In the fuselage, the well is clearly rectangular...

I had some fun with that a few years back in a stalled (naturally) Lightning-build

• Like 1

still no pic fix for Flickr. At least the old pics are still intact. I might have a look around for another hosting site. :o

Just had had a response from Flickr. Apparently nothing has changed they’re blaming other sites for the problem.   Oh gawd!!!! :rage:

Jont

Edited by The Spadgent

The BM site was down for a day as they installed a "minor upgrade". 

Comes back on, and nobody can post a Flickr picture....

I'm no boffin- but I know where I'd be looking. An it ain't Flickr 

Mind your head on the keyboard, there, what happened to Capn. Sensible?😃

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

The BM site was down for a day as they installed a "minor upgrade". 

Comes back on, and nobody can post a Flickr picture....

I'm no boffin- but I know where I'd be looking. An it ain't Flickr 

Mind your head on the keyboard, there, what happened to Capn. Sensible?😃

Don't know whats going on. I managed to get a pic working on my PC from the "choose size" menu of flickr. proper pain in the harris. but that stopped working after about 3 or 4 pics. Hurrumph:huh: