"Are 'Friends' Electric?" The English Electric Lightning F.1 by Airfix 1/48

Just caught up Jont and now following with interest...

Very kind of you not to distract from my slowly developing Spitfire build - I'm not that competitive but I know when I'm beat by superior skills! :)

I do like the Lightning. I worked with an ex Lightning Jockey who'd banged out over the North Sea after a double engine fire. Short bloke, obviously, but a proper chap.

He'd have loved that seat - amazing stuff.

• Like 1

Just caught up also, another " Frightning " fan. I had the pleasure of working at RIAT when Geoff Brindle, ex Lightning display pilot was Display Manager. He was quite short also but I think that was his natural stature.

Looking forward to more

John

PS is Ced working up to a 1/48 build?

• Like 2

On 05/12/2017 at 9:20 PM, Tomoshenko said:

I think you'll find you're in good company round here. Anyroad my kind of madness. Like the Tamiya tape pads for the cushions. Great tip, and I like the texture.

Thanks Tomo. Glad you like ze seat!

On 05/12/2017 at 9:28 PM, Mike said:

The seat's coming along nicely :D

Ya muchly!:)

On 05/12/2017 at 9:29 PM, giemme said:

You oughta be! Foil belts are definitely the way to go in this scale, IMHO. :clap:

And for a man of your skills, some brush detail painting it's going to be real fun :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Thanks G. It’s nice to get the brushes out again.^_^

On 05/12/2017 at 9:43 PM, propforward said:

That is splendid. Going to definitely try that on my next Lightning pop seat - you've really added a LOT to it

Thanks. Quiche foil is a real winner. I’m using it again for sure.:penguin:

On 05/12/2017 at 10:03 PM, amblypygid said:

Top seat work, that's a great start, Johnny.

Thank’e

23 hours ago, perdu said:

Some may be aware I am a sucker for a goodly built seat Johnny  ;)

Already outstanding so I will be up here watching from the balcony, I have discovered there is a price reduction on beer and popcorn from the nice lady at the back

Oooh beer you say.  Let’s hope the paint goes on well eh. ;)

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Like I said, no after market needed there!

Martian

See, I should listen to you more often. :lol:

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Just caught up Jont and now following with interest...

Very kind of you not to distract from my slowly developing Spitfire build - I'm not that competitive but I know when I'm beat by superior skills! :)

I do like the Lightning. I worked with an ex Lightning Jockey who'd banged out over the North Sea after a double engine fire. Short bloke, obviously, but a proper chap.

He'd have loved that seat - amazing stuff.

Don’t be daft, you’re ace Ced. Thanks for the kind words dear boy. ^_^ 

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Just caught up also, another " Frightning " fan. I had the pleasure of working at RIAT when Geoff Brindle, ex Lightning display pilot was Display Manager. He was quite short also but I think that was his natural stature.

Looking forward to more

John

Oooh 1/48!for Ced eh. There’s a thought.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Don’t be daft, you’re ace Ced.

Awww, thanks Johnny, very kind :)

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Maybe. Just very slowly :)

• Like 2

Super quick update. I’m out with our kid tonight, just a quiet one but I have to walk into town because of snow. I got some paint and stickers on the seat while I had and hour spare.

38203878464_b61fb8b8b4_b.jpg38033090135_20fcbea204_b.jpg

Glad I kept my hand in my pocket now, this was way more fun. :penguin: I have gloss coated in preparation for a Flory wash tomozza. Possibly a secret lemonade morning if I can stave off the many pints tonight. 

Thanks for popping in.

take care out there aaaaand Happy Modelling.

Johnny seatbelts are blue! :o

• Like 18

Got me with the thread title.

Gotta love the Lightning and Gary .......after all apart from the amazing music the guy can actually fly an airplane

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

Hi there, John! :clap2:

Awesome job, as always. Certainly, the appropriate tune for this build would be The Body Electric by Rush, but I'll cheat with this one on that same album. 

Quite difficult to pick what the best song is on this album.

Cheers, my mate! :cheers:

Unc2

• Like 2

On 08/12/2017 at 8:08 PM, giemme said:

Glorious job with that seat, Johnny! :worthy::clap:

Ciao

Thanks G. :lol:

On 08/12/2017 at 9:41 PM, perdu said:

What can one say huh?

Im glad you kept your hand in your pocket Johnny, too

Looks very realistic

Top job

Thank you sir. I can’t stop thinking what might have been if I’d have got the AM stuff but I’m happy with the outcome.

On 09/12/2017 at 1:32 AM, Winnie said:

Come in to find an excellent build and  new music to buy!

You’re welcome.;)

On 09/12/2017 at 8:30 AM, TheBaron said:

Seat. Handsome.

Very.

Very.:thumbsup:

Woot!

On 09/12/2017 at 12:38 PM, Winenut said:

Got me with the thread title.

Gotta love the Lightning and Gary .......after all apart from the amazing music the guy can actually fly an airplane

Cheers

Bruce

Well there you go, I didn’t know that. What a guy. 

23 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That seat is beyond excellent. I’ve seen resin that didn't look anywhere that good.

Too kind kid. Thanks.^_^

21 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Seconded

John

Cheeres. ;)

18 hours ago, propforward said:

Thirdled.

Thirdiddled.

Thirded.

Something like that.

That’ll do. Thanks.

17 hours ago, CedB said:

A thing of beauty, good job Johnny :)

Why thank you Mr B. 

10 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Hi there, John! :clap2:

Awesome job, as always. Certainly, the appropriate tune for this build would be The Body Electric by Rush, but I'll cheat with this one on that same album. 

Quite difficult to pick what the best song is on this album.

Cheers, my mate! :cheers:

Unc2

Ahhh loves a bit o rush me. :D

• Like 1

Well howdie pards. I woke up to this!

38078110335_6c29a545e6_b.jpg

so after the dog had done what dogs do in the mornings I made a mug of hot tea and headed benchward while the family slept.:penguin:yesterday saw this happen before I picked up the tree. There was snow but not as much as today.

the office got colour, black!

38964417341_b5beecd52d_b.jpg

while the Flory dried on the seat.

38964417971_cf725a435a_b.jpg

And then wiped clean with a cotton bud.

38964417811_c9656c7c7c_b.jpg

looks old and used enough for me.:yahoo:

then it was time for treeeeeee.

27187030039_ab7043d243_b.jpg

as you can see from yesterday’s pic the snow is so much deeper today. (Such a shame:wicked:) well on to today. The office got weathered and the stickers (of what I could use as the fit and colour was less than brilliant) got added.

38248324974_dc75de89ac_b.jpg38964425281_9ff316a3fc_b.jpg

Settled decals by the joy of Paul at Modelling tools. He got this in stock at long last.

38078108805_0304397534_b.jpg

So I went a little bonkers on the order. To be honest this stuff s pretty ace. Not tried it on Academy decals but on these it worked well.

These bits got tidied and glued.

38078100295_a68650b31c_b.jpg

And a bit of a test fit. :D

24099682177_3211c741be_b.jpg

not looking too shabby. I can’t stop thinking the AM pit would have been better so I added a few wires and the like to busy it up a smidge.

38078099555_87159faf0e_b.jpg

here we are with the seat fitted.

27187029759_04e0daa8a8_b.jpg

not the most awesome pit I’ve ever done but it’ll get squirreled away under the fuselage and what can be seen hopefully will be enough.

I need to add 20g of weight to prevent tail sitting. (Not again.<_< At least they tell you in this kit) I added 11g in here with lead shot an super glue.

27187029649_5901596b83_b.jpg

Then glued the bits together and filled with PPP.

38927700742_00aff034a9_b.jpg

The cans were next. These looked to have the most CrAzY pips hanging off them.

38964418481_ef70d37256_b.jpg

fear not however as these don’t need sanding, simply push a sharp blade down toward the rim and they just pop off.

phew! They then all got primed.

38964425221_a2327f52d1_b.jpg

And then sprayed duraluminium and a mixture of gun metal and copper.

38078109705_56c013362e_b.jpg

I’ll need to top coat before a weather wash. I couldn’t resist a dry fit of the fuselage.

27187034239_94a0987844_b.jpg38964424601_c560f9e807_b.jpg

Not bad but there are some gaps at the front. I need to watch out for that line thing on the side too that @propforward noticed in his build. I’ll sort that out before the halves go together. Right that’s it for today. Just the dog to walk and dinner to cook.

38248322814_7eb6b12aaa_b.jpg

He’s getting bigger! 

The kids school is closed tomorrow so hopefully work will be off too, if not I’ll need to take a day off. So maybe more bench action? :yahoo: thanks for stopping by on this cold and frosty Sunday eve.hope you got some sweet bench time yourselves.

All the best and Happy Modelling chums.

Johnny lightning bolt.

• Like 13

Oh dear I feel it

You Johnny, are awakening my Lightningfu

Not awfy convenient in the middle of my Navy Blue period but I'm sure I can hold back for a while longer

I hope

This is blooming marvellous

😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently under some snow myself, albeit not that much (but should be like that tomorrow).

Excellent job on the 'pit :clap: And it looks like you are progressing fast on this :pilot: Going to complete it before Christmas? :frantic:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

I know @propforward has answered this already but I’d like a bit of confirmation. The cable ducts are too far forward if you fit to the locating pins. So I’m moving them back. Here is a wobbly test fit of where they want you to put them.

38947840972_22967952ef_b.jpg

if you look at the little brown lines I’ve drawn. They tally with where the ducts are on the real thing. Found these on the net.

27207441149_67dbe17a77_b.jpg27207441319_37559240ec_b.jpg

copyright Robin a walker. If you want these taken down just let me know.

Anyway as you can see the duct at the pit end starts about half way down. Kind of at the start of the front canopy. Doing this pushes the duct back just past where the air brakes start. Now this looks right on the photo but on @propforward‘s build the f.6 I think it was ended it’s ducts where the sir brakes start. :worry: now what a to do? Do I cut a smidge off or do my brown marks look about right?

what does the BM massive think? 

Johnny snow day

• Like 2