1/48 Monogram Phantom II Kit # 5813

Lastvautour

I just opened the 1/48 Monogram Phantom II Mig Killer and find that the under radome probe belongs to either a C or N version. Has anyone else come across this. A previous F-4J black Bunny did not have this issue.

Lou

The US Navy B and N versions had the under radome pod which I think was an infa-red sensor housing. The USAF C and D models also had this. It was deleted in the E, F,G and RF versions. The Black Bunny of VX-4 was an F-4J and I think they later used an S.

It was not fitted to the British Phantom F-4K and F-4M as they were based on the J.

The N was an upgraded B and the S was an upgraded J.

I believe that VX-4 used a F-4J with an under nose probe but this was a test aircrfat and therefore non standard. 

https://photos.smugmug.com/Military-Aviation-Photography/Easter-Eggs/F4-Phantom-II-Easter-Eggs/i-BWPVKg9/0/5b0df8c0/XL/BIC-F4USN 00001 A static colorful McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II USN VX-4 THE EVALUATORS NAS Moffett military airplane picture by Michael Grove, Sr-XL.jpg

Edited by Julien
please dont post in copyrighted photos, links only

It was also used to test the slatted wing of the F-4S - you can just see the actuators under the wing but I believe the slats were welded open. Esci put this a/c out in both 1/48 and 1/72 and Microscale also did the decals. It's one Phantom I have never tried to build in kit form.

The Monogram kit, was essentially the same as their F-4C, hence the F-4C bits included. If you look, you'll see the refueling point for the USAF's Flying Boom type of refueling. That will need to be sanded away for a Navy/USMC/RAF version.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:32 AM, Lastvautour said:

I just opened the 1/48 Monogram Phantom II Mig Killer and find that the under radome probe belongs to either a C or N version. Has anyone else come across this. A previous F-4J black Bunny did not have this issue.

Lou

I don't understand your question however......Monogram issued their 1/48 Phantom in two flavors. A USN F-4J and a USAF F-4C. They were issued in several different boxings through the years. The Navy J did not have the "donkey dick" under the nose radome where the USAF version did. Monogram did mold some differences in the kits. The USN J had the correct pylons and nose gear door as they did for the USAF version. They did nothing to the cockpit for a USN version and the USN version had USAF main gear wheel hubs. Those would need to be replaced with aftermarket to be correct. They did pretty much no other mods between the two kits. To make a correct USN cockpit you would need to go aftermarket. Others may know more.

I had that kit years ago, Showtime 100 configuration and it had NO IR

seeker under the nose. It was a standard F-4J same as the Monogram

1/72 kit. Did they redo the molds when they reissued the 1/48 Revell

F-4C/D kit a few years ago? That kit has a D IR style pod under the chin

if I remember right which has to be reshaped to make a C. Maybe there is

no more J mold?---John

This gives a time line for the kit releases.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/159275-monogram-5813-f-4j-phantom-ii

The OP doesn't say that the undernose fairing is moulded integral to the radome so I surmise it's a seperate part not to be used for the J. Can anybody remember if both sets of afterburner cans were included?

All Monogram did was create a mold insert to do either nose. If you look closely at the inside of the fuselage parts there's a seam line where the insert is for the different radomes.  Other than that the two fuselages are the same.

On 12/18/2017 at 9:23 PM, jpk said:

I don't understand your question however......Monogram issued their 1/48 Phantom in two flavors. A USN F-4J and a USAF F-4C. They were issued in several different boxings through the years. The Navy J did not have the "donkey dick" under the nose radome where the USAF version did. Monogram did mold some differences in the kits. The USN J had the correct pylons and nose gear door as they did for the USAF version. They did nothing to the cockpit for a USN version and the USN version had USAF main gear wheel hubs. Those would need to be replaced with aftermarket to be correct. They did pretty much no other mods between the two kits. To make a correct USN cockpit you would need to go aftermarket. Others may know more.

Odd that they got the aft cockpit sidewall done correctly on their 1/72 but not on their 1/48 kit. :doh:

Edited by Don McIntyre
Spelling Error

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:48 AM, Don McIntyre said:

Odd that they got the aft cockpit sidewall done correctly on their 1/72 but not on their 1/48 kit. :doh:

The 1/72 kit came out well after the 1/48 kit. One would think thy might have added some corrective parts at least to the larger kit.

On 12/22/2017 at 7:51 PM, jpk said:

The 1/72 kit came out well after the 1/48 kit. One would think thy might have added some corrective parts at least to the larger kit.

My thinking, exactly. A couple of parts added to the sprues would take care of the cockpit issue.