USS Yorktown

camper1

Hi Folks

A few more from my recent trip,Yorktown is docked at Patriots Point a few miles outside Charleston.

Unlike Intrepid in New York most of the ship is open to the public and shows very well the conditions the crews had to work in and also how the ship worked.

I was struck by how small the stairwells and corridors were, images on newsreels show aircrew running out of doors and up ladders,all I can say is there must have been a lot of banged heads and knees.

This is a very impressive museum and the Vietnam experience which only opened this year is excellent if you are in Charleston go and visit.Recommended.

Cheers

Ian

nqZdhJN.jpg
yP2HZrx.jpg
2fF7qrm.jpg
CD8he7p.jpg
E7kQzdM.jpg
DkvlWRY.jpg
rfjEEMl.jpg
fTCoO60.jpg
aud6G7o.jpg
9cIYOfk.jpg
9MpLnfV.jpg
OE3SYkD.jpg
5nzAbRE.jpg
wLnriPP.jpg
iTg5cTd.jpg
3Q83v8L.jpg
xtJOule.jpg
3sz7LVY.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, modelldoc said:

Yes, it's a verry good museum.

Was thre sometimes.

When you are in Charleston, use the Water Taxi, it's the best way to go with good points for pictures.

modelldoc

We used the water taxi from Patriots Point by far the easiest way to get about without using a car,parking charges are way more than we pay in the UK.

Ian

Glad you had a good time mate and cheers for sharing your pics,......Yorktown looks to be a `friendly ship' with a brilliant aircraft collection to boot...... all relevant and nothing silly like a Space Shuttle or F-16,... just naval aircraft or those with a connection to the ship,..... speaking of which, the B-25 should look great when it has been de converted back to military configuration,

Cheers

Tony