ICM 1/24 Model T Fire Truck

Spad

Hi again

Allow me to show my other recent completion, the ICM Ford Model T Fire Truck in 1/24. Like the 250 Testarossa, this was built for the IPMS Car and Motorcycle SIG's Telford display and was my contribution to the Ford side of things. I don't know about you, but I've never seen a Model T fire engine before and it really appealed for some wacky reason.

Really enjoyable build with accurate fit and a deceptively strong finished structure - nice one ICM!

Largely straight forward build but painting took some planning with all that brass detailing. I also took this as an opportunity to try my hand at simulated wood-graining on the ladders and steering wheel using oils and Tamiya clear orange on a buff base. seems ok but I'll leave you to judge for yourselves. I'll keep working on that one.

Tamya Italian Red and Alclad Polished Brass are the primary colours used.

Sorry about the number of pics but there are so many interesting angles and details on this model that I wanted to share them all.Hope you like. Comment and critique welcome as ever!

38839977451_fcb2570a09_k.jpg

23974916667_3c38e74128_k.jpg

38839976101_1610007b0a_k.jpg

38839973901_3f700526af_k.jpg

38839975161_6ec8593791_k.jpg

23974913007_1103d219a5_k.jpg

38839970431_89000f5df5_k.jpg

38839971291_c17a28d1a6_k.jpg

38839972611_175aa1e100_k.jpg

Thanks for looking.

ATB
Rick

• Like 14

Yep, I agree, and another cracking build Rick! Beautifully built & a really clean finish with some lovely detail work! And I think your wood efffects are excellent!

As my friend celt normally says - well tidy mun!! :)

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nice execution of an infrequently seen vehicle. also nice to see something that is not "weathered into submission" as seems to be the current trend. the brass is just right - not too shiny and not to dull. the wood finishes look fine. the buttons & tufts on the seat might stand out if a light wash of umber were passed over.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
8 hours ago, kapam said:

The timber finish on the ladder (and steering wheel) is particularly impressive.

Any hints?

Thanks Kapam - appreciated.

The technique I've used is to apply a base of Tamiya Dark Yellow (XF-50 I think). I then applied oil paint by sponge, roughly dobbing it on all over the place. I think I used Burnt Umber then immediately dragged the oil around using a dry flat brush to create the grain effect. Once all dry an overspray of Tamiya Clear Orange brings the warmth out. As this was a fire truck I reasoned that it would be nicely maintained and polished so a final gloss varnish spray was applied to bring up the shine.

None of the above is in any way fixed of course so mix, match and adjust the colours to suit your own preferences  - this was my first serious attempt at it so I will be doing just that as I try to develop the results myself.

Hope this helps and go have some fun! Oh, and don't forget to post pics!

Cheers

Rick