AK Real Colors

fatfingers

How do chaps,

Got me some of the AK Real Color paints the other week and today was the first time I've had a chance to have a play with them. I went for the following British Armour colours.

SCC 1A Dark Brown

SCC 2 Brown

Khaki Green No 3

SCC 15 Olive Drab

Desert Pink Z1

Dark Olive Green PFI (what ever that means!)

Light Mud

SCC 14 Blue Black

So..... I decided to spray them onto plastic spoons to see how they went down and how the colours looked. The spoons were undercoated with Vallejo Grey Primer. Couple of quick picks below.

Ready for the sacrifice.

NC6LwTM.jpg

And painted up (sorry, pics slightly out of focus as it was a quick snap) Left line up from front to back.

SCC 2 Brown.

SCC 1A Dark Brown.

SCC 14 Blue Black.

Khaki Green No 3

Right line up from front to back.

SCC 15 Olive Drab.

Dark Olive Green PFI.

Desert Pink Z1.

Light Mud.

hMQ9R6E.jpg

rVBPHDq.jpg

They sprayed really well and were thinned with the thinner that accompanies the range of paints. Cleaning out of the airbrush was a doddle too B) The Desert pink looked more like a flesh colour in the jar but when sprayed and dry it took on the colour of an egg shell! Was also surprised at how bright the SCC 2 Brown was!

I also got a couple of German colours and a faded Olive Drab that I've yet to test. I will also take some better pics and post them up later.

Really nice paints and can't wait to use them on an actual kit. Just as well I have a stack of British armour and soft skins in the stash. Hopefully some more British colours will follow such as G4 and G5.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing Steve - with your expertise would you say they are as good a match as they claim - it's always hard to tell when looking at a laptop screen.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Thanks for sharing Steve - with your expertise would you say they are as good a match as they claim - it's always hard to tell when looking at a laptop screen.

Ohh I'm far from an expert but they do look pretty good to me and save having to mix the colours! The real expert is Mike Starmer who worked with AK on the colours.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Ohh I'm far from an expert but they do look pretty good to me and save having to mix the colours! The real expert is Mike Starmer who worked with AK on the colours.

Regards,

Steve

We'll take that as a 'YES' then ;)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Thanks for testing these out for us, Steve @fatfingers! The finishes look really-really nice!

How much thinning would you say these need? That is to say, how much airbrush-ready paint can you get from the 10 ml? One part paint to two parts thinner? One-to-one? Less? More?

Thank for sharing!

Cristian

9 hours ago, armored76 said:

Thanks for testing these out for us, Steve @fatfingers! The finishes look really-really nice!

How much thinning would you say these need? That is to say, how much airbrush-ready paint can you get from the 10 ml? One part paint to two parts thinner? One-to-one? Less? More?

Thank for sharing!

Cristian

Aye up Christian.

I dont tend to measure as such when i thin paint. Just keep going til it looks right. I thin the AK the same as Tamiya - skimmed milk(ish) and when it drips off the brush/stick etc at a steady rate its ready to sqwurt B)

Regards.

Steve

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve @fatfingers!

May I also ask about the smell of the paints/thinner? I absolutely love the MR Paint range but the smell is just awful which is why I ponder giving this range a try.

What airbrush have you been using for the tests? My H&S Evolution seems to be more sensitive to acrylics (Revell, Mig, etc) while it works perfectly wit MR Paint so I was wondering how the AK line performs here.

Thanks again!

Cristian

• Like 1

Aye up Christian.

The paint and thinner smell very similar to Tamiya  to me but i'd say not quite as strong. As for the airbrush. I use a H&S Evolution with a .2 needle and this handles the paint very well. Goes through my H&S Ultra with a .4 needle very nicely too. :yes:

Regards.

Steve

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a pain of a time with my Real Colors so far. I pre-thin all Tamiya-like paint (including Hobby Aqueous) with either Tamiya thinner or Ultimate thinners, no problem. Did this with the AK stuff, and my word.

First it seemed to stick to the inside of my pipette, so I was getting more or less a drop or two out of an amount drawn that would've sufficiently loaded the cup with my other paints, and lost the volume added via thinner as a result to the pipette. Then it wouldn't spray properly. It seemed to clog almost instantly and took a while to clean out.

I added more thinner, deep cleaned my airbrush and tried again. Same result. I managed one go with it to do a touch up, but within moments it was back to clogging. I've no idea what else to do. All the ones I bought I thinned in the same manner with ultimate thinners (given the similarity to Tamiya and Gunze Acrylics), but now it stands to reason none of them will spray.

It took an absolute age to spray the roof of a HUMVEE, almost twice as long as it might've taken to paint the entire thing with my other brands. I just don't get it.

In fact at one point the NATO Green seemed to go blackish when I added more thinner. I still haven't tried the other colours yet, so I don't know if the green is a dud or not.

Contacted AKI, but much to my surprise they never got back to me. Some months ago I commented on their YouTube video about the paint whether I could use Ultimate thinners and they said I could.

Anyone had a similar experience, or any pointers? 

Gaz

Edited by GazB

• 2 months later...

I have also got the British Real Colors from Ak and wonder why they are SO different from the Tamiya mixes Mike Starmer has compiled?

In the picture below you can see the AK real Colors painted in the top left of each mixing well and the Tamiya mixes to the bottom right (if you look closely you can also see the ratio of the mix (IE 8 62 = 8 parts XF62)

SCC14 and SCC15 are very close between the Tamiya mix and the AK paint but the others are very different.
gKQk2z.jpg