HMS Meteorite colour scheme...and more.

Courageous

Hi kids.

Quick question and hopefully a quick answer.

At the moment I'm in the process of building Mikro Mir's 1/350 HMS Meteorite, ex-U1407 I believe, truly a kit of many parts :fraidnot:.

The upper hull is to be painted blue-grey, any ideas, preferably Humbrol enamels?

Also, I note from the box art that there is a mast of some description forward of the sail. Any idea if this mast is port/ stbd or midships?

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Addition
  • Like 1

• Courageous changed the title to HMS Meteorite colour scheme...and more.

Hi Chris, thanks for the Humbrol 145 info.

I will agree that there is an aerial support but there is another taller mast just aft of the mention support. From the few photos I've seen, this mast seems to be erect-able and is as tall as the sail itself. Plans on a Russian site here:

https://coollib.com/b/299305/read

Stuart

• Like 1

Hi Stuart,

Having studied the plans you mention, look closely at the elevation of the sail above, note the similiar triangular marks as are on both sides of the mast in question.

The items on the rear of the sail and on the periscope are lights, so what youre looking at is a navigation light mast, which would be very close to the centreline of the boat.

The RN stripped out a lot of HMS Meteorites equipment including the schnorkel, which was never replaced, before reinstalling the Walther engine.

Looking at the later photos this mast seems to be missing.

Hope this helps

Chris

• Like 1

I tend to agree Chris, so i'll be forgetting the 'nav light' mast.

I can't really tell from the few photos, but do the fore and aft aerial wires terminate at single points on the sail or are they more a 'Y'...if you know what I mean?