SCRATCHBUILT DEWOITINE D510 in 1:48 scale

Fozzy

Hi guys

Is it just me or is anyone else having problems with this forum?....oh so slow and cant seem to post anything?

Could be something to do with all that Christmas snow!!!:think:

Edited by Fozzy

I don't know...must be my old computer!....this is the 3 rd attempt at doing this post!

Probably isn't worth the effort as its such a small content!

After hours of trying to find a photo of the rear end of the radiator that sits under the engine...I kind of gave up!:(

The photos I have got of the real aircraft are out of focus and so I have kind of done the best I could. I basically drilled out the radiator tunnel...covered the side walls and floor with plastic and hoped for the best!!!

This is just the basics in these 2 photos....

C_13.jpg

C_14.jpg

Later I will place a sort of radiator grill in the tunnel but for now it will have to do!:unsure:

I have been dying to skin the fuselage but I had to get the basic structure done first...but tomorrow I think I am ready to have a go at skinning her ... I just can't stand looking at this lump of wood any more!;)

Until she's skinned.....thanks for for looking in!

Fozzy

• Like 6

Hi there guys!

Well the fuselage is at last skinned!...a tad laborious but worth it in the end I think!

I'll walk you through the process which I chose to do....not everyone would do it this way but it works for me!;)

So what I needed for this task was a few scraps of plastic card ...some paper card...glue and my favorite riveting tool!...which I will show you ............

C15.jpg

I use this to punch out the rivets on the plastic card....I basically got a piece of kit sprue...drilled a small hole in the end and super glued a sewing pin in the hole...and Bingo there's your riveting tool!.......with gentle pressure on the plastic it makes great rivets as I hope you will see in the coming photos.....and it cost #ugger all!^_^

Using the paper card, I placed it over each panel of the fuselage ...a panel at a time ...and carefully measured the panel to make a template which I then drew with pencil onto the plastic card.This is not as easy at it seems because the card has to go round some awkward shapes....easier with paper card than plastic!.....the rivet lines for the fuselage were then parked on the reverse side of the plastic panel and then the little riveting tool did the rest!.

Here are some shots of the fuselage half covered....

C15_1.jpg

C15_2.jpg

C15_3.jpg

C15_4.jpg

You can also see that with a few scraps of plastic I added some of the detail on the cowlings...air intakes and the like!.....the next few shots are of the fuselage completely skinned.

C15_6.jpg

C15_7.jpg

C15_8.jpg

A coat of Humbrol 64 was then applied as an undercoat to see if there were any blemishes..(awful errors on my behalf I mean of course!!:o)...and there was!......a bit of PVA glue sorted that out and then another undercoat was applied.

I then sealed that lot with a coat of Johnson Klear.

More detail to be added at a later stage but here is now the skinned fuselage....

C15_9.jpg

C16.jpg

C16_1.jpg

C16_2.jpg

C16_3.jpg

C16_4.jpg

C16_5.jpg

C16_6.jpg

C16_7.jpg

So there we go then!

I am off to Blighty tomorrow for the Christmas and New Year period and will be back in about 3 weeks time to  continue with this scratch build.....next up....the dreaded attaching of the wings and things!!!

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year and see you next year!!!

Cheers

Fozzy

• Like 11

Hi Fozzy,

Had been wondering what you were up to. Nice! So I'll settle in with a  :drink:and :popcorn:and watch the shenanigans carry on.

Merry Crimbo and a Happy New Year to you and yours!

Christian, exiled to africa 

Hello Fozzy, what an interesting project! You have certainly come up with some great ideas for scratch-building, and I thought your tutorial for the 'skinning' was brilliant! I am going to have to try this sometime soon!

Enjoy Blighty,

Ray

Thanks guys for all your interest in this build!......I will be back at my bench mid January.......have a great Christmas everyone!🎅

Fozzy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/12/2017 at 22:14, Fozzy said:

Thanks guys for all your interest in this build!......I will be back at my bench mid January.......have a great Christmas everyone!🎅

Fozzy

Today’s the 8th of Jan Fozzy - that’s pretty close to ‘mid January’ if you ask me!

Fozzy,

This is excellent...thanks for sharing.

I always thought the 510 a unique aircraft ...somewhat ungainly in front but elegant as you looked aft.

What's always caught my eye were the markings that fir that plane perfectly. You're doing a great

job in replicating it. 

All the Best!

Don

16 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Today’s the 8th of Jan Fozzy - that’s pretty close to ‘mid January’ if you ask me!

Back on the 15th..so close to the 8th Steve !

Cheers guys and Happy New Year to you all....have to say...looking forward to getting back to this build!☺

Like many on the forum, I've contented myself with building the kits that come in boxes in various scales and twiddling with the bits that are sadly missing from most of the mass-produced plastic kits (WnW excepted I think). I've convinced myself to scrath-build a 1/32 scale model of a plane my brother used to own since he's none too well right now, so I've been interested to see your progress on your Deoitine 520 which promises to look fantastic when finished. I'm thinking of vac-forming the main components of my model, having seen some really great results in another forum. Maybe I'll post some progress reports later. Still building the vac machine at present and sorting out the a/c plans.

Paul

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

It’s the 16th of January today Fozzy! 🤔

Yep I know...I know!!!:lol:

Should be able to post some progress when I have emptied out my suitcase from my trip:P

5 hours ago, Pauls9cb said:

Like many on the forum, I've contented myself with building the kits that come in boxes in various scales and twiddling with the bits that are sadly missing from most of the mass-produced plastic kits (WnW excepted I think). I've convinced myself to scrath-build a 1/32 scale model of a plane my brother used to own since he's none too well right now, so I've been interested to see your progress on your Deoitine 520 which promises to look fantastic when finished. I'm thinking of vac-forming the main components of my model, having seen some really great results in another forum. Maybe I'll post some progress reports later. Still building the vac machine at present and sorting out the a/c plans.

Paul

Good luck with your build Paul!!