Cheers from sunny and warm Arizona!

CheekyRascal

Greetings all! I am very happy to join your wonderful community of fellow modeling enthusiasts. Like many of you, I started building kits (horribly) at a young age. After taking many years off from the hobby, I have delved back in, and have been building kits for the past five years or so. I kept coming across Britmodeller through various Google searches for kit reviews, "how-to" help, as well as "What is the 'correct' color for RAF Ocean Gray?" type questions. I have been consistently impressed with the wealth and breadth of knowledge displayed by the community members here. So I finally decided to take the plunge and join up. I would like to take a moment to say hello to Mr. Nick Millman and say thank you for all of your outstanding work. I have found your postings here and on your Aviation of Japan blog to be of tremendous assistance.

My primary interests are 1/72 scale WW2 fighter aircraft. 1/72 scale is better suited for collecting in numbers and the build times are greatly reduced. Although the scale does not offer the superb detail of the larger 1/32 kits. I also have a small stash of 1/72 scale modern jet fighters, 1/35 scale armor, and 1/700 scale ships. I keep coming back to the 1/72 scale WW2 prop fighters though! Currently I am on a Japanese streak, hence my appreciation for the Aviation of Japan blog. Currently, there is a Ki-45 and a Ki-61 on my workbench. Both are in the in the assembly / seam filling & sanding phase. I intend to do a natural metal finish for the Ki-61, so the endless sanding and polishing is becoming quite maddening!

About two years ago, I entered a 1/72 MiG-25 in a local hobby shop contest. The head judge was very complimentary of my work and he encouraged me to join the local IPMS chapter and participate in their contests. I am so glad that I did. He helped give me the confidence to put myself out there and improve my work.

One month ago today, my Tamiya A6M2b Zero won first place in the 1/32 scale class at the IPMS ModelZona regional contest. The kit is finished in Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats enamels faded down with a little flat white for weathering. I wanted to give the Zero a good weathering, but from research, I learned that the Pearl Harbor attackers used relatively new aircraft that were not yet extensively weathered. Despite that, I gave the aircraft as much weathering as I dared, and told myself that the kit would represent an aircraft flown during the battle of the Coral Sea or the Battle of the Eastern Solomons. Although I have no evidence to back that up!

Many of the tips and tricks I used to complete the kit were learned from this forum. So for that, I would like to offer a sincere "Thank you" to the community!

XX5ygKE.jpg

Edited by CheekyRascal
  • Like 2

Hello Rascal ... Welcome back to modeling and Welcome to Britmodeler from a fellow American from the suburbs of Chicago. I mostly build WW2 and Cold war aircraft. Used to be exclusively 1/48th. However im in dire need of space so am converting to 1/72nd scale.

Im getting back into Targets ... Erm Tanks also. If i can help with anything just ask. And if you’d like to get Mr. Millman attention start with an @ symbol in front of his screen name. It is kind of a notification so he will see it. Have a great modeling day.

Dennis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Rascal ... Welcome back to modeling and Welcome to Britmodeler from a fellow American from the suburbs of Chicago. I mostly build WW2 and Cold war aircraft. Used to be exclusively 1/48th. However im in dire need of space so am converting to 1/72nd scale.

Im getting back into Targets ... Erm Tanks also. If i can help with anything just ask. And if you’d like to get Mr. Millman attention start with an @ symbol in front of his screen name. It is kind of a notification so he will see it. Have a great modeling day.

Dennis

Thank you Dennis!  I was born just north of you at DuPage county hospital in Winfield. My family lived in Wheaton and Naperville before moving out west to Arizona. Small world!  I have an assortment of Panzers and a nice Sherman Vc Firefly that one day may make it to my workbench. I am sure I will ask for help since armor is a much different beast than aircraft. And thanks for the info Re: @Nick Millman

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

That Zeke is a stunner!

Thank you Jamie. I must say that the Colourcoats line of paints are world class. I just discovered them about 6 months ago and I absolutely love them. Let's just say that I am a bit neurotic about color accuracy and "correctness". It is clear that the Colourcoats line has been well researched for accuracy.  I sleep much better at night knowing my colors are just right!  I plan on using the ACJ12 green/gray as the base and ACJ09 for the mottle on my Ki-45 project. I look forward to posting pics of the build as I progress.

58 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I'll second that!

Hard to believe it's 1/72nd.

Welcome to forum and thanks for posting.

Thank you for the welcome Scimitar! As much as  I would like to take credit for the kit in 1/72, it is in fact a 1/32 kit. Here is another photo I took the day of the competition:

ED6_F570_F-_FC82-4_FD8-_A735-7_F3_FE4_BD

Edited by CheekyRascal
  • Like 3

Always glad to help.

If you're interested check out the Group build section. 2018 will be the first two Armor group builds ever here at Britmodeller. Starting on December 30th with the M3/M4 series of tanks. And later in the year with Panzer IV’s. 

• Like 1