Phantom FG.1 XV571 43 Sqn 1986 special markings

71chally

There are many illustrations, art works, a decal sheet and kit builds of Phantom XV571 of 43 squadron wearing these markings

editor-160815-57b1d5ccca567.jpg

However, all the photo references that I have seen show '571 to only have worn the tail checkers, and not the spine markings.

Did it ever appear, or fly, in the full markings as shown in the artwork above?

Modeldecal sheet 89 had an option for the aircraft with the checks on the spine and there are photos of XV571 with the spine checks in the instructions - all taken in August 1986. It must have been a short-lived scheme as the spine checks were missing when the aircraft appreared at the 1986 Leuchars airshow a month later in September.

Edited by rod mcq
spelling errors
  • Like 1

Although I cannot find evidence at the moment I am sure that 43 Sqn were told to remove the spine markings after either the Station Commander or another higher ranking officer saw the scheme. That is why it was short lived. I will keep on looking to find out more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Although I cannot find evidence at the moment I am sure that 43 Sqn were told to remove the spine markings after either the Station Commander or another higher ranking officer saw the scheme. That is why it was short lived. I will keep on looking to find out more.

Almost as if someone realized it made the Phantom look like a giant diesel-powered zebra crossing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Sorry I should have mentioned that there is a colour picture of this aircraft with the spine markings in Dick Wards book on Phantom Sqns published in 1988, plus a black and white one without the spine markings.

• Thanks 1

Hello James,

at least one photo appears in Patrick Martin's "British Phantoms" (vol. 2, page 93). It shows that XV571 had the checkerboard on the spine on August 1986 and a second photo (September 1987) shows only the tail checkered.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

Colour picture in Phantom Squadrons of the RAF and FAA in Richard (Dick) Ward's book. I have also seen an illustraion where the fin checkerboard doesn't go to the top of the fin - finishes at about the same point as the ILS antennae.

There's also a picture in the same book where she has 2 strips of checkerboard; both running from front to back of the fin, one at the base of the fin, the other running between the rwr and ILS fairings. Both stips are 2 rows deep. The fin flash is a small rectangle of pale red and blue and situated half way along the rwr fairing unlike the full checkerboard a/c whre it was slanted. There is afighting cocks badge on a white disc on the fin and a large A on the rudder in black.

Modeldecal certainly did both becasue I'm looking at them on the display shelf now.

• Like 2

Thanks again guys.

There's quite a few pics of '751 in the later (1988?) scheme with the small checks, but really lacking on the above scheme.

XV579 certainly looks good there, the black & white checks really standout against the camo.

This is where i wish digital cameras were available when i were a lad.

I have a very hazy memory of seeing this with the full spine and being told that it was only for the anniversary as mentioned in the initial post. Always liked Zulu from across the road better!

Arabest,

Geoff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

I reckon the VF-51 Eagle and XV574 Z of 111 were the best 2 Phantom markings ever - and that's saying something. (Here we go - thread drift - sorry)

I may suggest other USN markings, but I'd be hard pressed to find some better looking Phantom than XV574, truly a masterpiece of aviation markings.

Kind of back on topic, 43 Sqn. was part of a squadron exchange with Italian 53 Stormo in 1986 and XV571 was one of the aircrafts involved. Found the picture I was sure I had and it's of course without markings on the spine but still with those on the tail. I remember having tried to handpaint the black/white checkers on the fin of a Matchbox kit immediately after and failing completely...

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 18:52, Robert said:

any idea what the zap is

Can't quite make it out but it stayed on when the rudder checks were removed and the RWR was fitted to the fin.

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/000/657/657909.jpg

I've added another pic which shows it a bit better.

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/000/347/347993.jpg

Edited by Julien
Please only link to copyrighted pictures
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Sorry for the of topic question, but any idea what the zap is on the intake splitter plate for XV579.

Robert

Looks like a Fighting Cock on the section nd picture Scimitar has posted? 

The Zap was for the Squadron's 60th anniversary in 1976, and was seen on the splitter plate of several aircraft, including a JG-71 F-4F!

It's a stylised Fighting Cock, resplendent in Top Hat and Boxing Gloves, with the text "43 F SQDN   60 TH ANNIVERSARY" encircling it. 

The best picture I can find is on page 214 of the 3rd Edition of the Sqn history,  "The Fighting Cocks" by Jimmy Beedle published in 2011. 

Gloria Finis!

Troffa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2