Cyber Week is Takom Week

Soeren

This was my go in the last hour, started making the dirt go. I decided to do Migs dry steppes splashes product as a base fixer and randomly blotted on the MIG Earth and European Earth, Vallejo Light Sienna pigments in. Just put em on a pallete and swirled em around to get various shades. Now waiting to dry thoroghly. The tank top got another layer of filter. This time 60% Bronce green, 20% internal green and 10% Ivory mixed and sprayed on from vertical with more than 50% thinners.

TakomChieftaindirtiscoming.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 4

That one above is from the same unit as the Takom version,

Had a few sessions in the dirt department. It still doesnt look right yet. Thew build is almost done now,. Sprayed the lights silver and have to glue in the clear parts. Not yet seen in the pictures

Dirtside.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks guys, the forum seems to not be working properly the last few days.

I just took a daylight shot. I decided to try the new weathering stuff I recently bought, one side is finished now. Have to see how to blend this all together.

WP_20171217_13_32_26_Rich.jpg

WP_20171217_13_32_36_Rich.jpg

• Like 10

Thank you Francis. I was a bit torn because of the amount of dirt. But after a night, dreaming of dirty tanks -just kidding ;) -, I like it now. Still have to blend the top, turret and sides into this. Just to convince me, that tanks can get dirty, I found this Leopard

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/Leo2_Pics/Leo2A4_scan01.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soeren said:

Thank you Francis. I was a bit torn because of the amount of dirt. But after a night, dreaming of dirty tanks -just kidding ;) -, I like it now. Still have to blend the top, turret and sides into this. Just to convince me, that tanks can get dirty, I found this Leopard

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/Leo2_Pics/Leo2A4_scan01.jpg

For my taste, the proper point of "dirt", is neither much, nor little. A Ferrari, will look fantastic without a single spot and bright (my butler will be responsible .. lol), but an AFV, which is without adequate weathering ?, Although sometimes little is more, otherwise the good work done before , stop seeing ... an art of balance.
Your Chieftain for my personal taste looks good ...:popcorn:

Cheers mate 

7 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

For my taste, the proper point of "dirt", is neither much, nor little. A Ferrari, will look fantastic without a single spot and bright (my butler will be responsible .. lol), but an AFV, which is without adequate weathering ?, Although sometimes little is more, otherwise the good work done before , stop seeing ... an art of balance.
Your Chieftain for my personal taste looks good ...:popcorn:

Cheers mate 

You are right. And in reality the dirt would mostly be more or less one color. But that would be boring of course :D

Thank you Etienne, now looking at it after a few days it grows on me I guess I will be able to finish it during the holidays.

Takom is definitely a great brand. Alot of details out of the box and the styrene has enough flex and softness to make those thin reelings work. Definitely not my last kit from Takom.

WP_20171222_18_42_23_Rich.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 3

Fantastic look the one of the M47 that you are doing, it looks like a great kit, I made one that I had kept in my "hiding place" for almost 15 years, and I think it was the only thing that was back then, it is the Italeri M47, and for the time, it was not bad at all.:popcorn:

Cheers mate :santa:

• Like 1

Hi there,

here is a build update. The kit is almost finished, only the running gear has to be done now. Then she is ready for painting. The kit went together very well. The only small fit issues were the turret halves, although the seam is along the weld line and as the cast parts were ground down in that area anyways, it doesnt do anything to the overall look I guess. Some parts were not fantastic, the machine gun for instance was a bit off in how the parts fit and a bit crooked along the edges curling to the inside. The tracks look a bit thick and along the center there is some very little but visible flesh. Hard to sand down but I hope it wont be too visible. On the other hand, all the the thin reelings and I mean ALL, were a real treat. Soft enough to be very forgiving in the cutting and sanding process. The detailing is fantastic, all the parts included look really nice, the build was straighforward. 

WP_20171227_11_34_06_Rich3168.jpg

• Like 3

Here is an update on the Chieftain, now all sections got their treatment of dirt. The right side turned out a bit darker. Maybe I will finish with a spray of some thinned down sand acting as a filter to bring the dirt together a bit more. The rear left fender has some drop. When attaching the second on the right I realized that this was due to the tight arrangement with the exhausts. Speaking of the latter, they need some exhaust soot. :)

Chieftaindust2.jpg

Chieftaindust.jpg

WP_20171229_14_21_59_Rich.jpg

WP_20171229_14_21_39_Rich.jpg

• Like 8

Found this for a reasonable price on AmazonWP_20171229_20_25_15_Rich3191.jpg

Unfortunately I couldnt find a review for this kit online. It is a 2 in 1 Kit, saying, you get pieces for the Type 59 AND 69. This is, as you can see from the picture, 2 hulls and 2 turrets. From the description on some shop sides you read, that it is a "simplified" kit. What does that mean?

The wheels are only one pice with molded on rubber rims. Then you dont get the soft dust cover on the gun but a 2 piece plastic piece, less clear parts and less PE. Other than that, the desription is a foldout poster, not a booklet. Still you have the nice color schemes and decals for 5 versions. From thew first look up, it seems like Takom typical details. But I will see this, when I start building the T-55AM2B and the Type 59 side by side :)

• Like 1

A small update on the T-54 derivatives. The overall fit is good again. Some small issues can easily be filled with the freshly prepared sprue-glue-filler. The T-55 has a lot more detail but the Type -59 looks good as well and I´d like to do it in the Pakistani colors, green with sand. 

Now 365 days after getting back into the hobby much has happened. 

Have a healthy start into the new year.

WP_20171230_11_11_08_Rich.jpg

WP_20171231_16_59_39_Rich.jpg

WP_20171231_17_00_05_Rich.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you guys, for the kind words. The cruelty of the pictures just showed me that the splashes need to also cover the tow cable a bit more. Later.

Now I build a bit more on the Type59 kit. As mentioned, it is a simplified version. Wheels are two parts instead of four, the side fender reinforcements are plastic, not PE. The PE for the grills is simpler, but only after I realized that the T-55 kit has a complete set of spare grills, well.... At least I got it before the two smaller ones were installed. Less clear parts are in the kit as well. Tracks and running gear are nice.

It has some nice cast, weld and cut details. And have a look at the spare track links, Takom molded the track pins on as well.

This tank builds quite well and looks sexy. The hull is about the same size as a M47. Compared to the Chieftain? A different story.

WP_20180107_22_36_56_Rich2.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 3