This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RobertF

Thunderbird 3 colour?

Hello all,

I don't want to open the proverbial :worms: on the subject of the "correct" colour, but does anyone have any suggestions as to which paint (brand, number) to use on Aoshima's beautiful Thunderbird 3? Their box sides examples are far to reddish for my liking.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

When I built mine I used Halfords Peugeot Seville Orange over a white primer which I was told by "the experts" was the closest you could get to the studio model. If you look at TB3 carefully it is more orange than red so this worked for me.

DSCF8052.JPG

Halfords Peugeot Seville Orange was the color consensus over at EagleTransporter.com, a site devoted towards Anderson.

Sadly that does not help me much since that brand is not available here in the US.

My TB-3 kit is slightly stalled- scribing lots of sub paneling. When it gets to painting stage I plan of capturing a PMS color from several screen grabs and having a custom mixed color made at a local paint store.

Kallisti, thanks for your quick reply.  That colour does indeed look like a perfect match.

Halfords does have a few stores in the Netherlands, but not close by where I live. I hope they also do mail/website orders for paint. If not, Richard's idea sounds like a good alternative if Richard, you're willing to share that PMS colour in due time.

Thanks chaps!

I will be glad to share the info!

Most paint stores here can match to a sample with their scanner or to a PMS spec, then load the paint into a rattle can if you wish.

Due to pixel variations in the samples, I will grab about a dozen and average. Right now I am in the early stages of the Zvezda ISD build, but if the TB-3 color information is needed soon I can get that determined earlier, just let me know.

You may want to check an automotive store in any case, I'm sure Peugeot sell cars in the USA and there might be an alternative brand that does it, Halfords is a UK company but I'm sure this colour paint is sold in other countries.

I found this brand as an alternative

Hycote Peugeot Seville Double Acrylic Spray Paint 150Ml Xdpg503 

The Halfords website states that " The Halfords Peugeot 'Seville (Red Orange)' car spray paint is an exact match for the Peugeot codes: PQF, 670 & 3189. "  With that information, you could go and try get one of these paints at an Peugeot outlet.

Having said that, I'm not too keen on using automotive paints as those have never worked for me (that's probably due to me, not the paints) so I would prefer using an different kind of paint.

And as my TB-3 is almost next in line for the paint shop, Richard, I'd like to take you up on that kind offer to speed up the colour determination, but only if that does not inconvenience you too much. 

Robert

ADDITIONAL: according to my local car dealer, the codes in my earlier post are not so much Peugeot paint codes as they are more general automotive paint codes. In other words, (one of) these codes should enable you to have the correct paint mixed at any paint store capable of mixing custom paints. 

FWIW  If you look at the very nice colour photo on the aoshima tb3 and launch bay box you will notice it's a mixture of orange with red panels ....this is key to getting the colour to look right . TB3 looks orangey red because it's a mix of orange and red patches . It's very subtle but also the best way to paint it IMHO .... I added a top coat of tamiya transparent yellow to male it pop and unify the effect