A-4K Skyhawk

This one fought me somewhat, but I got there in the end.  It was missing an air intake and its canopy, so some old-school modelling was needed to finish.  The underlying kit is a FROG issue of the Hasegawa mould - I am told that there are shape issues, particularly around the nose, and that the hump is too rounded, but it is a good kit to assemble and it looks OK to me!

wpfa345eb2_05_06.jpg

wp020e6132_05_06.jpg

wp00563ed7_05_06.jpg

Replacement air intake from Milliput, moulded using another kit and some silicon mould material:

wp5be5b4dd_06.png

Replacement canopy, crash moulded again using another kit, Milliput and silicon mould, then acetate, a hair dryer and some force!

wp5d128b58_05_06.jpg

Looks OK, but a little Tippex filler needed:

wpa0c15eab_05_06.jpg

And Voila:  ....

wpda3529ea_05_06.jpg

wp4597845d_05_06.jpg

As always, everything is hand brushed using Humbrol enamels. 

and finally, for comparison, I built the same kit a few years back as an A-4G, without a hump, but with decals courtesy of Modledecal:

DSC_0914.jpg

FredT :)

• Like 20

Very nice work on both. The A-4K's were originally Australian A-4G’s and transferred to the Kiwis when the Australian fixed wing fleet air arm and carrier were scrapped. 

17 minutes ago, abat said:

Very nice work on both. The A-4K's were originally Australian A-4G’s and transferred to the Kiwis when the Australian fixed wing fleet air arm and carrier were scrapped. 

Ah No......... The RNZAF received brand new A-4K's/TA-4Ks in 1970. The ex RAN A-4G's came much later,

as in around 1984.

The Fern Leaf Roundel was only worn by the RNZAF Skyhawks (as in Gengriz's/Fred's model), for about 8 months, till

the current Kiwi Roundel was introduced circa Nov/Dec 1970.

Edited by LDSModeller
additional information
  • Like 1

Thanks guys,  the replacement canopy was a very pleasing result - fortunately I had another kit to use as a template, but the re-usable silicon mould material is fantastic - who would have thought that green Milliput could produce such a smooth surface out a mould as my replacement intake! 

I will add a longer stalk if I do another canopy though  - the hair dryer definitely singed my fingers!

FredT :)

• Like 1