Monogram 1/48 B-29 in Bare Metal Foil

Johnny_K

First I was considering painting the weight bag black. Then I watched an old movie. The actor opened a door to the outdoors. It was obvious that what looked like the outdoors was really a painted  outdoor scene. The lightbulb went on in my head and that's how I came up with the idea for using a photo to hide the weight bag in the B-29. It's pretty freaky how our brains work.

• Like 2

5qEzbiA.jpg?1

PVs9GXw.jpg?1

tQA8HML.jpg?1

After the weight bag was installed I glued the two halves of the fuselage together. I used tape and clamps the hold things together. Next the joint was filled with putty and sanded smooth. Finally, The fuselage was masked for painting. I used plastic wrap to protect the fuselage from overspray. Cheaper and less time consuming than tape. The area of the fuselage that is between the blue tape will be painted Testors' Metallic Aluminum Plate. This area on the real airplane was also painted. 

FYaF26k.jpg?1

The next step was to foil the fuselage. This was a long, long process. Much longer than I had anticipated. Plus, the wing spars were constantly in the way and prevented the fuselage from being turned in it's side. I purchased a block of foam which allowed me to turn the fuselage on its side.

• Like 6

It is very difficult to put masking tape onto BMF. Based on experience, the tape tends to lift the foil. Since I am foiling the fuselage panel by panel, it is not a problem to paint first. I have painted foil in the past. Paint does stick to foil without a problem. I will be using pre-painted foil to cover the joint at the wing root. 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, k5054nz said:

I can't speak for Johnny but the star-and-bar makes me think USAAF WW2.

This looks great! Top work so far, wow.

Good find. I made a mistake on the decals. The star and bar should have a red stripe on it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...