i'm not an expert on chieftian tank,so i ask..:)

Davide Calzolari

Well...technically the Tamiya Mk5 chieftain isn't a Mk5. The biggest error on the kit is the NBC pack at the rear of the turret which is from a Mk2&3.

As for Mk5s wearing the Berlin Brigade scheme, I believe it was only Mk10s with the StilBrew armour upgrade that had it.

At at the end of the day though they all look fairly similar, and it's your kit so do what you want to do with it. Hopefully this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DAG058 said:

As for Mk5s wearing the Berlin Brigade scheme, I believe it was only Mk10s with the StilBrew armour upgrade that had it.

The more I thought about this the more I doubted myself. A quick search flashed up some Mk5s in the Berlin Brigade scheme. So the answer is yes, however the Tamiya kit isn't correct.

• Like 1

By the time that cam scheme was introduced Mk5s would have been upgraded to a later mark.  Ironically I saw Bovington's Chieftain in that scheme today and completely failed to note what mark it was.  It has Stillbrew but no TOGS, which matches parade photos from Berlin.  So I believe that makes it a Mk10 as noted above.  IIRC, Mk10 was based on Mk9 which was in turn upgraded from Mk5 - Tamiya faults notwithstanding. 

The Takom Mk5 would be a better starting point,  but if you already have the Tamiya kit ..........  I suggest fill the turret baskets with stowage and drape a cam net over to hide the key inaccuracies.  But you will need the Stillbrew armor for the turret front.  Accurate Armour make an upgrade set.  As it happens there is one on eBay at the moment, newly listed today.  I spotted it earlier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cheiftain-Mk-10-Stillbrew-Armour-1-35-Accurate-Armour/253292528160?hash=item3af9694220:g:pl8AAOSwwrtZw3XD

• Like 1

Perhaps this may help (if you really want to do one)- somebody alread did the Berlin Tamiya Mk 5:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/05/stuff_eng_vaiano_chieftain.htm

Also a cheap copy is avaiable from KingKit of the Tankograd 9001 Berlin Brigade

http://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/tankograd-books-9001-armoured-vehicles-of-the-british-infantry-brigade-berlin

The Berlin scheme was initially applied to Mk5/Mk5 variants including at least one dozer equipped example, and ultimately it was also applied to Mk10. 

The Tamiya kit can make a passable Mk5 with just engine deck, Clansman and NBC pack corrections which are pretty simple scratch jobs. Of course if you want it to be 100% correct then a bit more work is involved, but this is more about adding missing details than making any major alterations. 

Hello,

as already mentioned, only Mk5 and Mk10 Chieftains received the Berlin Brigade paint scheme ... and the Tamiya Chieftain, even if Mk5 labeled, is more a Mk3 and even then it requires slight modifications to be accurate.

So, everything depends on your priorities :

> accuracy and easy build = go for Takom Mk5 or Mk10

> accuracy and scratchbuilding = Tamiya's kit with scratch and/or AA conversion

> easy build and low price : Tamiya's kit OOTB and enjoy the painting process 

Cheers, E

• Like 3

The Tamiya kit is ok considering it's age. However he Takom kit its light years ahead, the level of detail and quality is well worth the extra £30ish. And it's certainly worth it if you want a more accurate model.