French Line Lancers

FredG

These have been in the stash for a while so it's time to give them an airing.

I've had the files out so they look pretty clean now. The Bosch screwdriver and a 0.9mm drill did the necessary deed despite a bit of screaming and the odd curse (In French). I've no idea why they made such a fuss :lalala:

IzOm7lKfbKOlPk1rAVGocfeAPglLylpTNizKM18u

It looks like I'll be having fun making pennants and the regimental flag.

At the moment the intention is to go for the 6th Regiment but anything can happen before the paint hits the figures

There are definitely easy subjects. I got a lot further in one session than I expected so they're looking a little more colourful.

dwuRdzDiMxMctL44sAjwVnGgSGxZsHOD-D_fImMX

WFPOpZBHudlgrSIaGptvdKSAuL0lStLxIhRg6Uze

Lxdlk57tNmXPbEK81KUnQmWGy_39Cfh4S6aZMoJZ

Now there will be a lot of edging and little fiddly bits.

I found out in the research  that the Trumpeter is the only one whose belt goes over the tunic tails. It's a bit of a Harry Worth ( I don't know why but there it is)

• Like 2

I started on the horses. Just the troopers' horses for now, the officer's horse is dressed differently so it will be last. I've decided on chestnuts for the troopers and MrsG decided on a grey for the trumpeter. This doesn't fit exactly into the designated squadron horse colours for the 6th but they're on campaign, you take the horse that's still alive.

si2JQIBKPyTsb37VmK8whIRGbeQm0G12W1AXSQCL

mlpbEzn1n-BfSsVHqRJRO2uFH-YwX9f3slMY4TZh

Please excuse the blueness, that's what snow does to the natural light in the morning

The correct parade ground horse colours are :-
1st Squadron (Elites) - Black with the Colonel on a grey
2nd Squadron - Bays
3rd Squadron - Chestnuts/ bays with the officer on a grey.
4th Squadron - Greys

While the last wash was drying I started playing with the riders so they've also advanced a little more, and more festive (If you're a fan of that US soft drinks manufacturer's logo colours).

h3mhTn_rT7ZYAl-C7ofs0SBNrasFIbF1A0xAmLV0

daTMqzRGw7-i0_ocQb0IdU-uSrmCxg-HS2aDdR7W

YYpZXrUx6QBUqMJ4dKEUK9kMNmtV6mbCPWX0F0pr

ymklHvRQEZx7O4pwraOYMCTy-XRgjwjmGCeGXCdo

fcwIBhma3lJ9uoPMXscq1ZVHtzmIHHNQTj9XbkRe

They're all coming along quite nicely I feel.

Edited by FredG
  • Like 1

Not always Ratch.

Here's the horse colours for the 2nd Corps (5th and 6th) Line lancers.

QB-F-14.1.jpg

As we well know, just because it's recorded on paper doesn't mean that happened in reality. The French were very short of horses after 1812.

Edited by FredG
added comment

I'd forgotten about the different colours of horses for each squadron - I had read it before but it had slipped my mind :blush:

That last one doesn't say anything about officers or trumpeters though :whistle:

7 hours ago, Ratch said:

That last one doesn't say anything about officers or trumpeters though :whistle:

No it doesn't but if you relate the Squadron horse colours given there to the Squadron diagrams in the first one and look at the initials and numbers supplied in those Squadrons, you have all the information you need. :think:

Edited by FredG

I've been slapping a bit more colour on the horses. now they need refining. The sheepskins don't really look like sheepskins yet so I'm hoping a sepia wash will  do the trick there. It worked on sheep so should do on fleeces :ner: The portmanteaux need straps and edging.

Note, I started off doing Chestnuts and they turned into Bays before my very eyes. ( The Grey is neither :D)

g93jYp1sjCcN-qu12ah1P6A1wt1ibl_vsr6-6Hb-

wA0K5zVg24YQsp9R2V1i9QUGwlicVHECXu1MhGja

• Like 1

I'm afraid that the officer's horse has eloped with a young Andalusian filly from the 9th. Until order can be restored there will be a short interlude.

• Haha 1

Normal service is now resumed.

The Officer's horse was found drowning his sorrows in a bar half way up the M6.  :drink:Apparently the Andalusian filly he ran off with jilted him in favour of a Clydesdale stallion they met on the way north to Gretna. Devastating for the poor fellow, especially her parting shot about matters and size.

So here he is tidied up.

UyRkvK2krb8BYY3Z1nVADcWPvScNifHYboTuOemN

I wanted a darker grey than the Trumpeter's horse so I used the darker of my two grey primers.

GKvHRWyyvxGNL65PutAeO3UF74XVp2jMsmYWOjt4

Then I lightened him up with off white but an uneven coat

yT-DbI2cfxrW2Q3Dghh11th_6mXBjQJ3KMuLd7-z

Then a wash of nulm oil to get a mottled grey.

VeGY5v9wkh06Yxt6O3RwheE35jwKeI9FxY6N8ZcV

Finally a thin black ink on the mane and tail.

LidQ3WE09_9Xtgy8ti3s_UZsSvwwTDqXHbBSc0Jx

BygxpddzEO3W4NE6oMY2XJXS3XsqMKR9v2z-uvHG

I'd over squeezed the ink so some of the extra went on the hooves ( waste not.......)

All ready for the horse furniture