Mount's Bay Fishing Lugger and Wreck! Finished

OK this (hopefully) will be following along the lines of the Puffer and develop the theme.

First off the craft in question

HRlineb

She is typical of the numerous Mackerel and Pilchard Drivers see around our coasts until the early 1900 when they were replaced by steam.

The hull length was around 39' (12m) overall with fore and aft out riggers loa. 69.5' (21.2m)

The Happy Return is owned and sailed  by the " Mount's Bay Lugger Association and was built early in the 19th C.

http://www.happyreturn.org/

I mentioned my interest in Luggers  and found one of the club members works the H/R. He managed to produce a stack of ref pics and the boats plans. Thank you Len you are a Star!

Started of in the same way as the Puffer with waterlines stuck onto plastic card

P1080548 (Copy)

P1080551 (Copy)

P1080552 (Copy)

P1080555 (Copy)

Looks a mess at this stage

P1080556 (Copy)

P1080562 (Copy)

Phoenix rising from the ashes lol

P1080672 (Copy)

The one bit I forgot to take a pic of was the keel. I started off with a plastic card keel but it was to easy to damage as I tried to get the waterlines to shape. So I replaced it with brass sheet on each side cut to the keel, stem and stern shape.

Now here is where we have a change of tack .....

I'm going to use this as a plug and make a fibreglass mould. I will then be able to produce hulls easily with the side bulwarks in place or so the story goes. Watch this space

Thanks for looking in and I hope you enjoy the voyage

The Lugger Mystery was 33' long and left Penzance in 1854 manned by seven Cornishmen looking for work. You could never call the Cornish lazy. They arrived 115 days later having covered 12,000 miles

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Will greatly enjoy watching this one

Hope to live up to your expectations  ....

3 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

looks like this will be another enjoyable adventure :smile:

One advantage of scratch building is you can pick your own subjects. Whether it can be achieved :hmmm:  You've just bought a ticket welcome aboard.

7 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I shall lend my support and encouragement to your efforts

Can't fail now :fight: Not with extraterrestrial help, good to have you on board

Kev

• Like 2

Just now, longshanks said:

Can't fail now :fight: Not with extraterrestrial help, good to have you on board

Kev

Admit it, you would miss me if I wasn't.

Martian

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Admit it, you would miss me if I wasn't.

The world would be a saner  quieter  respectable etc    a dull place without you ...

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Miniature Modelling Marvel

Don't you have Specsavers in NZ  :wink:

9 hours ago, Murdo said:

He's at it again!

Ssssh!

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

A fibreglass mould

Hoping, will find out later today .....

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A very profound statement if you check the Vosper build  :headbang:

4 hours ago, beefy66 said:

just to keep your sanity in check as they say  ;)

Some Many would say its way to late for that :hypnotised:

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Lots of pics please . I’m interested in this fibreglass business me!

:hmmm: I think I may have over egged this a bit lot , I think we'll call it tissue snot  resin from now on. TR for short. 

Now I'm going to apologise I felt the need to lay up the said TR to make the mould from the other room with my hands behind my back. You'll understand

Materials used, standard resin as available from any Halfords  Autofactors near you. For mat I used tissue, yes what you blow your nose with. Not toilet paper it's made to dissolve :poop:. This is still to stiff to get into tight corners. So I painted resin stiffened up with talc into the corners before laying tissue over. I'm sure in the real deal the glass fibre mat adds strength, I'm hoping I'm not got to regret it.

This shows the two halves of the plug secured to plastic card.

P1080678 (Copy)

Wrong!

I should have split the plug, blanked one half along the keel line with card. Laid up the TR to this card.   Let it set, remove card .   Re attach second half of plug re wax etc and lay up the second half of the plug to the TR lip. Hope this makes sense, if you need more info PM me.

This shows the two halves of the new mould with the plug in the background

P1080679 (Copy)

P1080683 (Copy)

You can get some idea how rough the outside TR work is. Learnt,  split the two tissue plys. tear tissue into small pieces, size of your thumb.

I used a stiff brush for stippling the resin and working the air out, on reflection slightly softer may work better.

The mould needs at least the waxings with mould release (make sure you are sitting down when you find out what it costs. Contrary to popular opinion it does not include a blonde to do the rubbing). This wax should be allowed to dry, I used a fan heater and polished to a nice shine. Repeat. The final belt and braces is pva mould release. This has to be sprayed on, imagine try to brush water over a waxed surface !!

Mould laid up with 4 layers TR

P1080686 (Copy)

Overlap cut off before splitting mould. On any real size mould leave a couple of days to set otherwise you'll have a banana.

P1080688 (Copy)

and the new baby released .....

P1080689 (Copy)

P1080690 (Copy)

P1080692 (Copy)

These are straight out of the mould no touch up. A few air bubbles etc to touch in and the job is a good un .

Thanks for reading all the above rubbish or maybe you didn't. I'm certainly no expert, I've four hulls between 18 & 30" for R/C work.

Feel free to ask and don't be offended if I don't answer tis only cos I don't know the answer

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I was with you right up to the point that you said no blonde was included, I lost interest in the process after that for some reason?

Disappointed of Mars

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Disappointed of Mars

In trouble of Mars ................

look who is looking over your shoulder :bangin:

In the interest of PC.  People who know me know I'm very upstanding ...  Contrary to popular opinion it does not include a blonde to do the rubbing

I will amend the above comment to

Contrary to popular opinion it does not include a person of unknown origin / colour / sex etc  to do menial or not so menial task on request / demand Blah! Blah!  Blah!

I knew it was a poor idea to post about 'fibreglass' on a plastic site

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, longshanks said:

I knew it was a poor idea to post about 'fibreglass' on a plastic site

No, just this particular plastic site. Other more sane sites are availble.

I have visions of you reading that disclaimer out at a gazillion miles an hour, in the way you get on some advertisements on the TV or radio.

Martian

• Haha 2

Back to modelling, enough frivolity !

I can report that the tissue and snot hull was a complete success

The pics show the boat after a quick wipe with 400 wet & dry, a few air bubbles touched in with CA / talc. Two minor spots required a smidge of car body filler.

P1080707 (Copy)

P1080708 (Copy)

P1080709 (Copy)

At this rate if I triple my tea breaks I'll be able to apply for government work :cool:

Kev

• Like 9

What the 'ell dude.  You build these so fast I can hardly keep up, just finding your projects.  I need to build faster.

Great job to date!

Great work, Kev

I have a half built sailing cruiser somewhere which I built from plans I found in an on-line gallery of 'Practical Mechanics' magazines from the 60's. You've inspired me to dig it out and try to finish it. I built it as a half hull model to mount in a deep picture frame.

Cheers