Mount's Bay Fishing Lugger and Wreck! Finished

Happy New Year Kev and congratulations on reaching the finish :D Pension in Holland is a bit like like the carrot dangling from a stick: the pension age is being raised in a true liberal stealth fashion.

Enjoy all the free time :penguin:

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, longshanks said:

Well that's it I am now officially retired :penguin::penguin::penguin:

Been working since I was 16 and I'm now 65, you do you maths .....

Done my bit the government can keep me now :thumbsup:

On to more important things, I've now got a full suit of sails tacked in place except for the jib. So next job will be rigging

27630921439_5b34ccce4b_c.jpg

24542364717_a835e7594f_z.jpg

25537973038_79c02b8b88_z.jpg

25537972738_4285c84dc0_z.jpg

Pleased with the way the sails are setting and I have made sure all four sails are slightly different colours/fading.

Looking at the lacing of the sails to the booms I think they are a trifle overscale. What do you think ??

Happy New Year to all on BM

Kev

PS @Hewy yes mate the intention is the same style of box frame

That looks Awesome Kev , nice work indeed mate :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:30, beefy66 said:

WOW you really that old nice work on the sails for a shackey old pensioner  :clif:

Lol

Cheeky young whipper snapper !! 

I've been playing with making the fittings and started playing with the original glass fibre hull ....

Life fishing was hard and dangerous work .....

So I've had in my mind to portray a boat wrecked.

Cut away the hull and inserted frames, hopefully to make it look like the planks have been stoved in. May well damage some of the frames ??

P1070005

P1070006

P1070008

Fitted the bulkhead at rear of fish hold and roughed out a deck/hatch

P1070009

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

• longshanks changed the title to Mount's Bay Fishing Lugger and Wreck!

I'm so pleased to see that last bit, I was having a catch up on this & progressing through the posts with a sense of impending disaster then I saw your "wreck" . Phew, the relief. :) Its all looking good Kev, I'll be watching out for the rigged article.

Martian, I hope you've managed to dispatch your "lurgy" to a galaxy far, far away. Nothing worse than feeling  crap when the season is likewise.

Steve.

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think you would be right to show some damage to the frames.

I agree , just got to figure out how to portray the damage. I don't want to go over the top.

Possibly some deep gouges in the frames, thinking broken frames will be to much :undecided:

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Phew, the relief.

Glad I cheered your day up Steve :wink:

I'll be watching out for the rigged article.

I'm slightly restricted in my modelling at the moment. I want to play with some ideas on the rigging. Have no fear both craft will be going forward, I've got the bit between my teeth.

Martian, I hope you've managed to dispatch your "lurgy" to a galaxy far, far away. Nothing worse than feeling  crap when the season is likewise.

I think we need to send out a group positive vibe and get the alien back in our galaxy. Far to quiet around here :nodding:

Kev

• Like 3

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

I agree , just got to figure out how to portray the damage. I don't want to go over the top.

Possibly some deep gouges in the frames, thinking broken frames will be to much :undecided:

Not necessarily, I have seen a few wrecks in Scotland there the frames have been stove in as well as the planks. I guess it rather depends on how and where the vessel was wrecked.

Martian

44 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I have seen a few wrecks in Scotland there the frames have been stove in as well as the planks.

Stoved in they shall be !!

Thanks for the feedback, given me the confidence to let my imagination run wild (well limp slowly along)

Kev

• Like 2

Will this be part of another diorama how are you going to tell the story of how it came to be stoved in maybe on a dockside getting repairs done  :idea:

beefy 

16 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Will this be part of another diorama

Sorry for the confusion Keith (Checking you're awake). The solid hull is on hold for reasons which will become apparent.....

So I'm playing with the hollow hull :hmmm:

The solid will stay on a sea base under sail, the hollow is going to be a wreck. How and when you will have to wait and see.

As they are both the same type/class of boat I saw no point in splitting the posts

Thanks for all the support guys

Kev

• Confused 1

Progress in a tiny fashion

Bulkhead fitted between fish and net hold

P1070122

Worked started fashioning the hatch which will be at least partly open....

P1070120

Broken one of the frames. The frame beneath green spots is tied to bulkhead so unlikely to break. The frames fore and aft of broken one gouged out but will only really show when painted

P1070121

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• Like 11

Thanks Guys

:hmmm:  I've just driven a round trip of 120 miles to the model shop on the island

Bottle of Tamiya thin por favor ...        No!  :shrug:

Revell glue por favor ...  No! :shrug:

Any plastic glue, this is a model shop full of plastic kits ....  No!  :shrug:

and I thought Cornwall was third world.  :tumble:  Oh well back to the Gin & Tonic with a latin shrug

Kev

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Continued progress around hatch.

Started filling bottom of hold with sand (PVA plus acrylics)

Fitted main (King?) beam. A few boards made and positioned the rest have been blow out by the water entering from below.

Waterway fitted and commenced adding stanchions to support bulwark

P1070148

P1070147

P1070146

P1070149

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 10

On 16/01/2018 at 03:22, longshanks said:

Thanks Guys

:hmmm:  I've just driven a round trip of 120 miles to the model shop on the island

Bottle of Tamiya thin por favor ...        No!  :shrug:

Revell glue por favor ...  No! :shrug:

Any plastic glue, this is a model shop full of plastic kits ....  No!  :shrug:

and I thought Cornwall was third world.  :tumble:  Oh well back to the Gin & Tonic with a latin shrug

Kev

I was completely unaware that gin and tonic could be used as plastic cement. Thanks for sharing that handy tip!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

I was completely unaware that gin and tonic could be used as plastic cement. Thanks for sharing that handy tip!

Its an interesting new take on the elf and safety instruction "Don't drink the glue"! Mind you, I can't abide gin and tonic so maybe I would be better off drinking the glue!

Muddled of Mars

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This would look good with some water washing in and out of the hole.

Martian

Great idea, if I can pull it off 

BS trust me enough G & T you can do anything lol

Martian as you're not from around here you're excused. Glue is for sniffing. G & T is for drinking :penguin:

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 3