Hawker Hurricane Mk I 1/72 Hasegawa

Hi folks,

this is yet another addition to my growing Romanian AF collection. The Hasegawa kit was built OOB and the markings are combination of fabulous Radu B. decals and my own masks.

Hurricane No.7 of Escadrila 53 was flown by Andrei Radulescu who claimed 3 kills (I-153) on 30 June 1941. After the initial campaign on the eastern front the remaining Romanian Hurricanes were sent for overhaul and were no longer used in the first line due to lack od spares and to avoid mistakes for AA gunners with Soviet Hurricanes.

Cheers

Libor

38092132944_c14ae2cf57_b.jpg

38092132904_fb93986da2_b.jpg

23943529327_be850e21f3_b.jpg

38092132674_2d8872c2d7_b.jpg

38092132684_fb9abee0af_b.jpg

• Like 49

You've made a fantastic job of this! The weathering is excellent. Is this a decent kit? Being Hasegawa, I'd expect it to be, so is this the best way to get a metal-wing Mk1?

3 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

A beauty.

Funny how the yellow nose seems to alter the shape of the aircraft (or is it just me)!

Pete

I know what you mean. When I first looked at the first photo, it looked like it had a Hispano engine aircraft, like an MS.406.

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for comments, glad you like these colours too!

Mitch K: personally speaking yes, for me the best metal wing Mk.I. There kit lacks detail in some areas and the fabric's sag on the fuselage is a bit overdone, bit really nothing that bothers me that much. Really can't understand why Airfix haven't come with theirs...

Cheers

Libor

• Like 2

I agree that the Hasegawa Hurricane is a very nice kit, but much time has been spent online pointing out its flaws.  If this matters to you, then read on.  Else pass.

The main one being that the basic kit (a non-existent Mk.Ib) makes a much better Mk.II than a Mk.I, and it is made of a Mk.II wing and fuselage including radiator (well, almost) and tailwheel.  The nose cowling is excellent but should be the same for a Mk.I and a Mk.II: Hasegawa do offer specific Mk.I boxings that include a shortened nose cowling which results in a kit with the correct overall length if the wrong panel lines.  Propellers and spinners are best bought from aftermarket sources.  Radiators and tailwheels will have to be robbed from other kits, either Airfix or Sword/AZ.  I made a Mk.I by cutting the front from the fuselage halves and then filing the extension from the wing to the nose to half its length and a rounder shape.  This gives a more satisfactory representation of the original at the expense of some time and a poorer final fit of the parts.  The Hasegawa fit of the parts is superb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beautiful Hurricane, Libor! I did not realise that the Romanians used the Hurricane on the Eastern Front (and I'm supposed to know these things!). I suppose the Romanian Hurricane now needs to go on my ever-growing list of Eastern Front aircraft that I need (I do know of its service with Finland and the Soviet Union).

Regards,

Jason

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

I did not realise that the Romanians used the Hurricane on the Eastern Front (and I'm supposed to know these things!). I suppose the Romanian Hurricane now needs to go on my ever-growing list of Eastern Front aircraft that I need

they only got 12,  (helpfully numbered 1-12 ) and 3 ex-Yugoslav from the Germans, (13-15)  those were fabric winged and were Yugoslav built,  so do look different, with 3 colour uppers see

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234996651-romanian-ex-yugoslav-hurricane-airfix-172/

and  on cover of the now rare Romanian Fighter colours

51astzVuM1L._SY498_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

this is one later supplied to Romania, the prop looks like De Havilland Hurricane unit,or licence copy

yU9yFMf.jpg

the British supplied Hurricanes were from the first two Hawker built batches,  L**** and N****, all metal winged, but with the other features of these batches,  no rectangular access hatch on starboard side, 

the one open here,  often missed, even Radu Briznan in his epic rebuild of the 1/32nd Revell  kit missed it..

The hatch is of note as being in the fabric section it's hard to fill easily and neatly  on a model, and the only kit without it is the Airfix fabric wing.

Hawker_Hurricane_mail_transport_Normandy

lack of hatch, metal wing and I just noticed,  no reflector gunsight visible here.  

Aircrew-Romanian-pilot-Constantin-Pomut-

the other distinctive features  of these early Hurricane batches  is 5 spoke wheels,  pole attena, and in the case of all the Romanian (and Finnish) Hurricanes,  a De Havilland Spitfire type propeller, note the Spitfire has a bigger nose ring than a Hurricane and thus the spinner has a distintive overhang, visible above and below.

which happened with the Spitfire Rotol unit fitted to most BoB Hurricanes see here for more on the subject http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

note the tricolour prop blade stripes, these were added at some point in Romanian service

Hawker-Hurricanes-RRAF-Esc-53-Red-6-Ruma

from

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/RRAF-Petre-Cordescu.html

which has more pics including a couple of burnt out Ex-Yugoslav fabric wings.

see here for more on  Romanian Hurricane  markings

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956047-romanian-hurricane-underside-colours/

@Redboost   that's very well built and finished model, 

which brings home how much an accurate OOB Hurricane family is needed in 1/72nd and 1/48th. 

Before anyone else says what about so and so, (Airfix, hasegawa etc) no,  they all have pretty serious faults, or faults that if you know about them and care,  are hard to fix.

And, for perspective, if they were of a similar nature on a Spitfire kit you'd never hear the end of them. 

Poor old Hurricane, still overshadowed...

Hope of interest

cheers

T

• Like 5