Airfix BF109G6

cocky05d

Hi ,i have a question about the Humbrol paint colour 145 ,i am doing the above kit (along with 18  other 1/72 Aircraft models )

Doing the camo scheme of it in Italian service ,it says do the underside and some of the side in 145 ,is that right .

The paint looks more like Humbrol 65 .

Any help would be welcome .

Hallo, cocky05d

I am not familiar with Humbrol camouflage paints (though I use them for interiors and details, I paint the camos with Xtracrylixs mostly). But a 109G-6 in Italian service would have been painted in standard Luftwaffe fighter camouflage of the period, RLM 74/75/76, with only the crosses painted out in Italian paint (Grigio Azzurro Chiaro) if appropriate.

Fernando

Hi, cocky05d,

They are thick acrylics and tend to clog the airbrush tip; I clean it every three or four passes with a brush. That said, they cover extremely well and are very forgiving, allowing themselves to be finely sanded if fully cured. Use them on some kind of primer. Colours are very good representations of the real ones, IMHO. If you prefer enamels, go for Xtracolours (whose colours are slightly better) or Sovereign.

Fernando

Hi ,i did have trouble using them in the past ,then i got another airbrush with a .05 nozzle .I found using that made a lot of difference .

Most of the time i use Tamiya Acrylics .Been trying out Model Air as well.

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

If you prefer enamels, go for Xtracolours (whose colours are slightly better) or Sovereign.

Fernando

Ours are exactly matched to Jürgen Kiroff's remanufactured paints using the original formulations and machinery as published on a series of painted chips in K.A. Merrick's Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1933-1945 volumes 1 and 2.

If you prefer Eagle Editions' view on Luftwaffe colours, then others' colours may be argued as slightly better.

:)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Ours are exactly matched to Jürgen Kiroff's remanufactured paints using the original formulations and machinery as published on a series of painted chips in K.A. Merrick's Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1933-1945 volumes 1 and 2.

If you prefer Eagle Editions' view on Luftwaffe colours, then others' colours may be argued as slightly better.

:)

9 hours ago, Fernando said:

If you prefer enamels, go for Xtracolours (whose colours are slightly better) or Sovereign.

Fernando

Hi, Jamie,

I meant many Xtracolours' colours look -oddly- better than their Xtracrylixs cousins. I had a wide selection of WEMM paints (still have a lot of them) and they were a favourite of mine. I never had a chance of getting a Sovereign paint, but, judging them as follow-ups of the WEMM line, they can be ascertained as very good.

Fernando

6 hours ago, Fernando said:

Hi, Jamie,

I meant many Xtracolours' colours look -oddly- better than their Xtracrylixs cousins. I had a wide selection of WEMM paints (still have a lot of them) and they were a favourite of mine. I never had a chance of getting a Sovereign paint, but, judging them as follow-ups of the WEMM line, they can be ascertained as very good.

Fernando

Ah, I misunderstood! Sorry if my response sounded a little tetchy! They are Merrick & Kiroff matched though regardless. :)

Have a good day!

21 hours ago, Fernando said:

Hi, cocky05d,

They are thick acrylics and tend to clog the airbrush tip; I clean it every three or four passes with a brush. That said, they cover extremely well and are very forgiving, allowing themselves to be finely sanded if fully cured. Use them on some kind of primer. Colours are very good representations of the real ones, IMHO. If you prefer enamels, go for Xtracolours (whose colours are slightly better) or Sovereign.

Fernando

Then you are not using the right thinner. I use Vallejo thinner with them and it slows down tip dry and makes them a joy to spray. with a 0.35mm tip.

Edited by Tbolt

On 4/12/2017 at 10:19 AM, Tbolt said:

Then you are not using the right thinner. I use Vallejo thinner with them and it slows down tip dry and makes them a joy to spray. with a 0.35mm tip.

Hi, Tbolt,

May be. I use their proprietary thinner.

Fernando