Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs

Hi All!

Well I’ve been on this forum for a few weeks now so thought I would post my first WIP thread. Revell’s 1/48 F-15E.

I noticed that there was recently a GB on the F-15. Sadly I missed this but figured I would post anyway to compare my novice building skills against some excellent models. Also it gives me a chance to get used to posting pics and develop my skills before the 2018 GB’s start.

I am making this completely OOB and can’t imagine that I’ll be getting involved in any scratch building just yet. 

So, one with some pics!

I forgot to take pics as I was working on the cockpit but have it fully assembled here.

Revell 1/48 F-15ERevell 1/48 F-15ERevell 1/48 F-15E

Here it is with seam lines filled and sanded. Not much work involved as the fit was great.

Revell 1/48 F-15E

Air intakes assembled. Quite happy with the sanding and filling to remove the seam before they were painted and fixed into the main fuselage.

Revell 1/48 F-15E

And last one for tonight, the main fuselage dry fitted. Will continue tomorrow.

Revell 1/48 F-15E

Thanks for looking and any advice would be great 👍 

• Like 3

A bit more work done.

main fuselage and wings attached and small gaps/steps filled and some sanding done.

F-15E

Then I thought I would crack on with assembling the ordnance, spraying all the little clips with Mr Metal Color Stainless and also making a start on the cans. Same stainless used for the inside and the linkages with Mr Metal color aluminum on the rims with a light dusting of stainless. Will weather them all when assembled.

F-15E

F-15E

F-15E

Fitted the cockpit and filled/sanded the seams.

38827342522_efcb4d2770_b.jpg

Then I hit a snag!! In my not so infinite wisdom I decided to skip adding the front landing gear as per instructions to make it easier to handle and paint. Before I fit the intake cowls I thought I best make sure that I can get one of the landing gear doors in........ 

F-15E

After much fiddling and using a chopstick in from the exhaust end I was finally able to get it to fit!

F-15E

Now I have another problem! It won’t come out (without breaking the piece). So I have the problem that I was trying to avoid in the first place with having it sticking out. Going to give it a bit more of a go to get it out and if no joy I guess I’ll just have to cut at the join and superglue back later... 🤔

• Like 3

The build continues!

I ended up cutting the front landing gear door off rather than risk it breaking. That way I could make sure the join will be clean and in a place I want it to be when I reattach it.

With that done I masked off the air intakes and fitted the cowls.

38122597025_b5f8f80f88_b.jpg

As usual the canopy had a mould seam line along the top. I used a sharp blade to remove it then using 1200, 1500 then 2000 grit finishing paper I sanded it smooth. 

38293623814_91ea799126_b.jpg

And with no expense spared.... used some Oral-B 3D white toothpaste to buff it up again! (I didn’t have any Tamiya polishing compound 😔)

The result was actually pretty good, and once it had been dipped in Klear and dried it really was looking great. 

38122597675_70b18f80bf_b.jpg

A bit of re-scribing and riveting on the filled areas.

38293619444_b5b8eaf144_b.jpg

Then it was time to mask the canopy ready for its prime coat.

39009316711_a455bcb717_b.jpg

I decided to keep the CFT’s off until I have finished painting the metalwork on the exhaust area for ease of masking. I did assemble the ready though. Due to the almost non-existent locating pins on the kit I used some white-tac on the inside to extrude through the holes a little. This was just enough bite for the pilons to hold whilst I glued them into place. Something I would not have been able to do easily if I had fitted the CFT’s to the model first.

38122598255_779e7472db_b.jpg

38122598145_262792be6d_b.jpg

And now with the prime coat on the model I am ready to start the preshading which will be tonights task.

27231921459_80d6f23ff0_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

This is a great kit. Really enjoying it. Done a bit more and STILL managed to find time to go and see The Last Jedi! Lol.

Preshaded the other night

38362999204_a1e4093df7_b.jpg24211857507_697d01c1fc_b.jpg

Then sprayed with Mr Hobby Aqueous H305 (FS 36118)

38191573515_d15bcb6b88_b.jpg

Leaving the paint to totally cure for a couple of days I got on with the laborious task of assembling the exhaust and control linkages. Inside was eventually painted with satin off white to give it that ceramic look then weathered with Humbrol black enamel wash. Used a hit of Tamiya burnt red metal weathering powder on some of the external detail and a hint on the rims of the cans. Will finish off the weathering on these once I have done the metalwork on the aircraft and I can ensure that everything filters together. 

39042188432_c22d2c36c0_b.jpg

And finally here is the current state of things as I post this. Done some light postshading by lightening the grey with 25% matt white on the aircraft, CFT’s, tail fins, air break and drop tanks. This is my first time with pre and post shading and I am quite happy with the results. Like everything, it takes practice and no doubt future builds will look more refined. But to the naked eye I think it looks quite good. The flash on this pic seems to make it look less subtle that it looks in natural light.

38191572845_2a6cff3ac3_b.jpg

Tonight will most likely be spent spraying the ordinance and a Klear coat over everything in the pic above so it can dry overnight. 

As always, thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Looking good. I'm in for the haul. Have a few of these kits. Just haven't had the time to start any new projects. Working on my out building to move my modelling stuff there. I have used a mild rubbing compound to buff out canopy glass. I bought while at RAF Lakenheath in the late 70's a can of T-cut. Which I still have and still works. Use it to buff out everything that will be painted. Press on with pride. It's looking great.

Ron VanDerwarker

“Novice building skills”? I’m going to ‘reverse bookmark’ and ignore your future builds when you become good 😉 that’s stunning work!

Maybe it’s the light Adrian. I used Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Color H305 which they have used the rather imaginative name of “grey”.....

It is FS 36118 which is the same as the colour call out and also which the US DoD states on some website that I saw. Here is a pic without artificial light or a flash on the camera. The Klear coat has made the model look slightly darker.

https://flic.kr/p/Esz9wG

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Just a small update.

Klear coat on and dried and I also did the metalwork at the rear of the fuselage. As on the rims of the exhausts I used Mr Metal Color Aluminium darkened with some Mr Hobby colour tire black. Then a very light dusting with Mr Metal Color copper. Buffed up a bit, Klear coat over the metalwork. Then I weathered with Tamiya earthing master burnt red and burnt blue. I did this quite heavy as all the reference pics I’ve looked at show this area to be quite heat stained.

https://flic.kr/p/22Fd3f2

https://flic.kr/p/22CwCDq

https://flic.kr/p/22Fd3ea

https://flic.kr/p/21AGCmy

For some reason the images won’t embed due to an error on Flickr. I’ll try and see if I can fix this by creating a new image thread for my next post.