My first tank!

Joss

Hi guys first tank that I've managed to get finished started this last year final done (hopefully). It's a lovely kit to build really enjoyed it!

I plan on making a base just got to get so materials but I've got an idea in my head!

I'm looking for any advice on this for further improving, I've used 'skills' and techniques from doing aircraft so not sure what other tank stuff I could do so any comments will be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_20171202_235448

IMG_20171202_235516

IMG_20171202_235604

IMG_20171202_235632

IMG_20171202_235640

IMG_20171202_235640

IMG_20171202_235657

IMG_20171202_235725

IMG_20171202_235812

IMG_20171202_235758

Thanks for looking! 

Regards

Joss

• Like 31

Great effort and to my mind wonderfully represents a fairly new vehicle without any wear and mud/weathering.  Personally I like that you haven't got her all covered in mud/grime and if I were to advise a base idea I would suggest you build a flatcar deck( the whole flatcar might be way too much but just the deck might be interesting) and mount her chained down and in transport.  Just an idea for what it's worth ;)  

I'd would say you have a strong eye for what looks right to you and if you back yourself you won't go far wrong.  I'm looking forward to what you share next as this is an excellent model.  Thanks for sharing it.

Dan

• Like 2

You've made a pretty good job of it. About the only thing that I would add would be some dust. Apart from vehicles just off of the production line, just about every tank has some dust somewhere.

John.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

Great effort and to my mind wonderfully represents a fairly new vehicle without any wear and mud/weathering.  Personally I like that you haven't got her all covered in mud/grime and if I were to advise a base idea I would suggest you build a flatcar deck( the whole flatcar might be way too much but just the deck might be interesting) and mount her chained down and in transport.  Just an idea for what it's worth ;)  

I'd would say you have a strong eye for what looks right to you and if you back yourself you won't go far wrong.  I'm looking forward to what you share next as this is an excellent model.  Thanks for sharing it.

Dan

Thanks Dan! That's a good idea I shall have a look around to see whats available, if you don't mind me using it?

I plan on building a Sherman for the M3/M4 if you was interest in the near future :)

Regards

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent work on this 👍

Thanks corsair much appreciated!

5 hours ago, Homer said:

Exelent model .:yes:

Cheers homer! Much appreciated

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

You've made a pretty good job of it. About the only thing that I would add would be some dust. Apart from vehicles just off of the production line, just about every tank has some dust somewhere.

John.

Thanks John, ideas considering the dust I wasn't sure it would work but I'll give it a go and see what will happen!

2 hours ago, Blaubar said:

Great first tank there.

I'd second the dust thing, the tracks are a bit too tidy I'd say. 

Cheers bluabar, I think I'll dust it up but I'm not sure I'm going to add to much dirt onto the track but might give it a little bit to improve it!

Regards

Joss

A great build and a tidy paint job. If I didn't know and had to make a guess I'd say you started on aircraft! But that's by no means a criticism. The grounding for an excellent AFV, whether it's brand new off the production line, or an old beat up warhorse, is always an initial tidy paint job!

Personally, I prefer AFV's from 'a bit dirty' to 'extremely dirty, rusty and damaged,' but I think you should maybe leave your first tank as it is! Firstly, it's fantastic as a 'new' tank. Really, it couldn't be better. So now you can build a second tank (maybe even the same model) and practice your first AFV weathering on that? It's certainly a different type of weathering than you get on aircraft!

ps, if you decide to make a dio for this one I will follow your progress with interest!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

I'm busy making my first tank too.  It won't be a patch on this - but I am having great fun - well mostly :lol:

As I'm no AFV expert can I ask a 'silly question' - what scale is it?

The shading is brilliant too - it looks 'real' to me :goodjob:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Badder said:

A great build and a tidy paint job. If I didn't know and had to make a guess I'd say you started on aircraft! But that's by no means a criticism. The grounding for an excellent AFV, whether it's brand new off the production line, or an old beat up warhorse, is always an initial tidy paint job!

Personally, I prefer AFV's from 'a bit dirty' to 'extremely dirty, rusty and damaged,' but I think you should maybe leave your first tank as it is! Firstly, it's fantastic as a 'new' tank. Really, it couldn't be better. So now you can build a second tank (maybe even the same model) and practice your first AFV weathering on that? It's certainly a different type of weathering than you get on aircraft!

ps, if you decide to make a dio for this one I will follow your progress with interest!

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks badder, I think like you say I will leave it as it is being the first one. I was tempted to get the same model as it was a lovely kit but I fancy moving onto something new!

I have been poking my head in at your ever evolving dio and I will definitely be borrowong your excellent techniques if you don't mind!

I've got a Sherman I plan to build next and any tip and comments would be appreciated!

Regards

Joss

10 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Cracking first tank. I like the effect on the panels & would suggest investing in some Mig pigments. There are some good tutorials on YouTube on pin washes & using oils. 

Pete

Thanks Pete, I done most of it with the painting to get the different shades and then I done a few washes on the model. Ill give mig a go and see how they are normal I stick with AK though :evil_laugh:

Just had a look on YouTube and found a few videos will give them a look when i have time!

Regards

Joss

10 hours ago, BIG X said:

I'm busy making my first tank too.  It won't be a patch on this - but I am having great fun - well mostly :lol:

As I'm no AFV expert can I ask a 'silly question' - what scale is it?

The shading is brilliant too - it looks 'real' to me :goodjob:

Thanks big x, I think that's the main thing isn't it! If your not having fun what's the point?

It's in 1:35 scale it's a nice scale to work in I found!

Regards

Joss

• Like 1

A great build. The tank looks like it was built by an experienced tank builder. i can really appreciate the way that you weathered it.... not overdone and it appears to be done correctly. I particularly like the way that you handled the exhaust. In a few weeks I plan on starting my first tank build and with some good luck I hope to have it turn out almost as good as yours did. WELL DONE !!                  Bob H.

Good model, but as been said before some weathering can make it better. And it do not have to be heavy mud. I like the colour - can you tell what paint it was please? 

6 hours ago, Joss said:

Thanks badder, I think like you say I will leave it as it is being the first one. I was tempted to get the same model as it was a lovely kit but I fancy moving onto something new!

I have been poking my head in at your ever evolving dio and I will definitely be borrowong your excellent techniques if you don't mind!

I've got a Sherman I plan to build next and any tip and comments would be appreciated!

Regards

Joss

Hi Joss,

I made my first moel in 35yrs a couple of years ago now, a Tiger I, and it wasn't a patch on yours!  As a kid I always ruined the first of a kind so always bought a second one and did it better, having learned from my previous mistakes. Well, yours is a corker straight off the bat, so I can understand you wanting to 'move on'.  I myself have also moved on, but I have another Tiger I, a Churchill MkVII and a Universal Carrier in the stash - all '2nd models', to be done at sooner or later! In fact the Churchill and UC will most likely be appearing in my current diorama.

And on the subject of the diorama, thanks for dropping in and thanks for thinking my techniques are 'excellent'. If ANYONE finds them useful then I am honoured so you're more than welcome to 'borrow' some.

I have a Sherman in the stash (my 2nd Sherman) and I'm saving that for the end of December for the Group Build. I don't know if you are entering that, but either way you'll find tonnes of useful information there when it gets going. I'd suggest you enter and 'copy' some of the experts. I know I will!

Rearguards,

Badder

10 hours ago, Bob Henry said:

A great build. The tank looks like it was built by an experienced tank builder. i can really appreciate the way that you weathered it.... not overdone and it appears to be done correctly. I particularly like the way that you handled the exhaust. In a few weeks I plan on starting my first tank build and with some good luck I hope to have it turn out almost as good as yours did. WELL DONE !!                  Bob H.

Thanks Bob I think alot of it came down the engineering of the kits it goes together beautifully! 

That sounds good what was you planning on building? I'll keep an eye out in the WIP section or in the RFI!

Regards

Joss

9 hours ago, Kris B said:

Good model, but as been said before some weathering can make it better. And it do not have to be heavy mud. I like the colour - can you tell what paint it was please? 

That's Kris I think I'm going to leave it for this one but on my next one I'll go abit heavier!!

I could be wrong because I painted about a year ago but I think it is Vallejo model air russian green, it looked the closest colour to me what I had lying around!

All the best

Joss

8 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Joss,

I made my first moel in 35yrs a couple of years ago now, a Tiger I, and it wasn't a patch on yours!  As a kid I always ruined the first of a kind so always bought a second one and did it better, having learned from my previous mistakes. Well, yours is a corker straight off the bat, so I can understand you wanting to 'move on'.  I myself have also moved on, but I have another Tiger I, a Churchill MkVII and a Universal Carrier in the stash - all '2nd models', to be done at sooner or later! In fact the Churchill and UC will most likely be appearing in my current diorama.

And on the subject of the diorama, thanks for dropping in and thanks for thinking my techniques are 'excellent'. If ANYONE finds them useful then I am honoured so you're more than welcome to 'borrow' some.

I have a Sherman in the stash (my 2nd Sherman) and I'm saving that for the end of December for the Group Build. I don't know if you are entering that, but either way you'll find tonnes of useful information there when it gets going. I'd suggest you enter and 'copy' some of the experts. I know I will!

Rearguards,

Badder

Hello badder that's a good idea I have to admit I tend to by kits after reading reviews and then not build them thinking I'm going to ruin them! So having two is a good idea and as you say you can learn from the mistake on the first one!

Itll be interesting to see what you do with the Churchill and UC, I've always had abit of a soft spot for the Churchill!

I was planning to enter the GB it will be good to build along with everyone else, and to gain some of the knowledge available! Even more so now I know you will be there! 

All the best

Joss

3 hours ago, Joss said:

I was planning to enter the GB it will be good to build along with everyone else, and to gain some of the knowledge available! Even more so now I know you will be there! 

All the best

Joss,

Your first sentence is good to read: sensible and logical. Your second sentence verges on madness! :lol: You'll find some actual experts in the GB. Follow them, not me!

Rearguards,

Badder

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:11 PM, Joss said:

Thanks Bob I think alot of it came down the engineering of the kits it goes together beautifully! 

That sounds good what was you planning on building? I'll keep an eye out in the WIP section or in the RFI!

Regards

Joss

Joss, the guys in my local club have convinced me to go for a serious build ... and my first tank !!! It will be the Tamiya 1/48 scale Tiger I ( late production ). I was given an aftermarket barrel and the Verlinden engine compartment kit. I sent for the German tank tool set and some extra photo etch ( engine grates and exhaust guards ). One of the builders in the club is going to show me how to do the zimmert. He says that it will look better than the aftermarket stuff. I may purchase the AFV club tracks if finances permit. Now you know the "Plan". We will see how it unfolds.                     Bob H.

Nice build mate and I'd never have guest this was your first tank build, very well done :clap2:

All you need to do now is build another and another your skill will just keep increasing.  Select your theme/topic/kit, think about what end result you want, research, decide if you want weathering, PE etc, plan and take your time above all enjoy. 

Looking forward to your next build.  

On 05/12/2017 at 02:40, Badder said:

Joss,

Your first sentence is good to read: sensible and logical. Your second sentence verges on madness! :lol: You'll find some actual experts in the GB. Follow them, not me!

Rearguards,

Badder

Hahaha sometimes sense and logical happens with me but not often! fair enough I'll still pop into you thread though :P

Joss

On 06/12/2017 at 01:45, Bob Henry said:

Joss, the guys in my local club have convinced me to go for a serious build ... and my first tank !!! It will be the Tamiya 1/48 scale Tiger I ( late production ). I was given an aftermarket barrel and the Verlinden engine compartment kit. I sent for the German tank tool set and some extra photo etch ( engine grates and exhaust guards ). One of the builders in the club is going to show me how to do the zimmert. He says that it will look better than the aftermarket stuff. I may purchase the AFV club tracks if finances permit. Now you know the "Plan". We will see how it unfolds.                     Bob H.

That sounds like you've got your work cut out for that one! It's an impressive list! I'll keep an eye out for it as I'm sure it's going to look a beauty when it's done!

Joss

5 hours ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Nice build mate and I'd never have guest this was your first tank build, very well done :clap2:

All you need to do now is build another and another your skill will just keep increasing.  Select your theme/topic/kit, think about what end result you want, research, decide if you want weathering, PE etc, plan and take your time above all enjoy. 

Looking forward to your next build.  

Thanks kev! I don't really have a theme more of what tank takes my eye, I've got a Sherman, Pershing, Panzer IV, king tiger and a Stuart ready to go. So I'll see what I can do with them the German ones are intimidating at the moment due to the camouflage patterning so I'll stick to uk and us tanks for the moment! 

I've definitely got the bug it's a nice change from aircraft!

Regards

Joss

5 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Superb Build seen some fine examples of this tank and you are up there with the Best,just go easy on the dust less is best Cheers.

Thanks Jim! Much appreciated, I've not weathered a tank before but it appears alot more 'full-on' compared to aircraft but I'll bear that in mind and try not to over do it on the next one!

Thanks

Joss

22 minutes ago, Blitz23 said:

Great job, I love it!

Thanks blitz much appreciated!

Regards

Joss

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joss said:

Thanks kev! I don't really have a theme more of what tank takes my eye, I've got a Sherman, Pershing, Panzer IV, king tiger and a Stuart ready to go. So I'll see what I can do with them the German ones are intimidating at the moment due to the camouflage patterning so I'll stick to uk and us tanks for the moment! 

I've definitely got the bug it's a nice change from aircraft!

Regards

Joss

I was thinking along the lines of: -

https://www.emodels.co.uk/takom-1-35-wwi-british-mk-i-female-tank-02033-plastic-model-kit.html

Or

https://www.emodels.co.uk/takom-1-35-wwi-heavy-battle-tank-mk-iv-2-in-1-special-edition-02076.html

• Like 1