H.P. 115

This is Maintrack Models Project X vacuform of the HP 115. It was a test bed to evaluate the low speed characteristics of a delta wing. It was a wing with an engine, cockpit and fixed landing gear. it was used extensively during the development of the SST. If you'll notice, the leading edges of the wings are a darker color. That's because they are made of plywood! They could be easily changed to different shapes and forms.. By all reports, it was a good aircraft to fly and did so for many years. This model was my first use of AllClad. I used polished aluminum. The aircraft was primered overall with gloss black, but the leading edges were done in flat black, which gave me the difference I was looking for to simulate the plywood construction. 

DSCN4699

DSCN4698

DSCN4700

DSCN4702

DSCN4703

• Like 27

Great job on that kit, it looks just lovely. It is fortunately quite a simple vac-form of an interesting aircraft and I built mine about fifteen years ago and do have a word of warning - I hope you did not use the 'press-down decals' as you will find that they will curl up and pop off in about two year's time. All of my Maintrack models have suffered from this issue and I have built almost all of them. 

A simple kit and perhaps a good "starter" vacuform. Only six major parts with metal landing gear and nose probe. No interior and no seat included, but the acetate canopy fits pretty well. The two trickiest areas involve joining the cockpit tub/pod with the wing. There's a big joint in the bottom "spine" about 1/3 of the way back and fairing the wing itself into the pod takes some patience. As with all n/m finishes, its all in the prep/priming.