Spitfire Mk. XVI bubble top question

Nachtwulf

I have the Eduard dual kit of the Mk. XVI Spitfire and I'm trying to find a set of markings that would allow me to build the bubble top without clipped wings in standard camouflage and during WWII. Did such a beast exist? I have not seen a picture of one yet except for restored examples. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

I think @gingerbob  knows more, but IIRC the low back XVI only appeared in 2nd TAF squadrons in feb 45, and as such was in a low level role, so clipped tips were standard.

but just because i know it's in @Etiennedup flickr, note sprayed out sky band

12121674534_032b3b9ab3_o.jpgSpitfire Mk.XVI     1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

• Like 1

One possibility that comes to mind is the first RV example, which was tested before the type was released for operational use.  I don't know for sure that it had standard tips, but wouldn't be surprised.  Of course, it won't have code letters, so would be a bit plain.  I'll report back with more information later.  I suspect that you'll have trouble finding a wartime service example with full-span tips.

bob

Edit: TA759 was the first XVI RV I was referring to.  I haven't yet been able to tell which tips it had when built.  (No aft fuel, by the way, at least initially.)

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1