FLY 1/32 Hawker Hurricane

Hi everyone

My mosquito has been put to one side for a little while whilst I'm waiting for some oils to arrive from emodels so I thought I'd make a start on my Hurricane.

I've seen some build reviews of the FLY Hurricane so I knew it was going to be a challenge to build but I didn't realise just how much, I think I've managed to break almost every part that I've removed from the sprues, the parts all require alot of clean up and the instructions are very vague at best, but if you want an accurate 1/32 Hurricane then it's the only game in town.....And I want a 1/32 Hurricane.

I've made a start on the cockpit and my plan is to build as much as I can before I paint and detail it, it's gonna be a challenge but I think it will look ok once finished (fingers crossed).

Created with Photo Editor- http://axiem.net/editor

The Mosquito put safely to one side..It will get finished in due course.

Created with Photo Editor- http://axiem.net/editorCreated with Photo Editor- http://axiem.net/editorCreated with Photo Editor- http://axiem.net/editor

This took me about 3 hours tonight and as you can see the detail is very soft as is the plastic. I drilled out all the locating holes in the frame work and once I had it together I've filled the joints with my homebrew plastic filler which will hopefully give the structure some strength.

I won't be doing much tomorrow as were off to Launceston for the Christmas market.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 4

8 hours ago, spitfire said:

Than you for posting, this should help me when I get round to building my Hurricanes which are lurking in the stash.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis

My pleasure :smile: .

So far I've found that its advisable to take the instructions with a pinch of salt, there are no locating tabs so everything has a butt joint (its a limited run kit so I guess that's to be expected), the plastic is very, very soft and so far I've managed to break the control stick, the rod that connects to the stick, the rudder pedals and the frame work for the cockpit :unamused: however as the plastic is so soft it welds together very easily and you can make almost invisible repairs.

At the moment I'm deciding on how much detail to add to the cockpit as I do like to display my models with the canopies open, for example the control stick could do with jazzing up a bit so I'll add the very prominent pneumatic lines to it, I'll add the rudder adjustment knob which again is quiet prominent and shouldn't be too hard to knock up and any other sundry items that I notice as I go along.

One thing that I will say though is that the fit of the main components looks to be very good with the overall outline of the model looking very accurate and the detail, especially on the wings is gorgeous.

I'm going to spend some time on the mosquito today but I might get some Hurricane time in later :smile:.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

As you said, if you want a 1:32 Hurricane Fly is the only game in town. Earlier this year I built the Hurricane IIc and it is a tricky build without any locator tabs you need to build your own assists during the assembly process. You can see my build here:

I have a Fly Hurricane IId kit that I want to build next year with open panels behind the cockpit to replace an earlier build I did converting the old Revell 1:32 Hurricane "IIc"  -which isn't even a II - its their Mk 1 kit with a couple of wing bulges added, but the wing panels are wring and the nose was wrong - into a proper IIc as part of the series of builds I've been doign for a few years to representthe aircraft my Dad worked on when he was in the RAF in WWII. You can see that build here:

I will be rebuilding the internal details into the IId to replace that diorama with a better version - I hope anyway :D

• Like 1